Post-Game Talk: Game 7 loss in OT - END of an ERA

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I really hope this is BS

It's only a big deal because we lost. We had 3 chances to close them out and didn't. Banking on us winning in Game 6 after how we looked previously in order to save your franchise center that you'd really, REALLY need in the next round...that's not a BS move. That is a completely understandable move.
Rossi also said the Penguins severely lowballed Malkin and Letang, to the tune of offering them 5 million/year deals.

Not sure I buy either story.
Awhile ago I said I would understand if the money didn't work and they decided to go elsewhere. The only request of Hextall that I made was that he didn't lowball Malkin and Letang to extent that it pissed them off / disrespected them. That is not how you want to end things. Shame on Hextall if that is true.
All GMs, even the best, miss at times.

Hextall has proven to be measured and patient. Building over time and overall hitting more than missing. Rarely overpaying in trades and mostly his few trades have been loved by most.

Really the opposite of JR.

The Pens could do a lot worse. And most teams do.

His qualities are perfect for a team soon entering a rebuild.
Fans of Philly may feel different. While he did some good, there seemed to be an equal amount of bad.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
It's only a big deal because we lost. We had 3 chances to close them out and didn't. Banking on us winning in Game 6 after how we looked previously in order to save your franchise center that you'd really, REALLY need in the next round...that's not a BS move. That is a completely understandable move.

Awhile ago I said I would understand if the money didn't work and they decided to go elsewhere. The only request of Hextall that I made was that he didn't lowball Malkin and Letang to extent that it pissed them off / disrespected them. That is not how you want to end things. Shame on Hextall if that is true.

Fans of Philly may feel different. While he did some good, there seemed to be an equal amount of bad.
You’re either cleared or not

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m not sure Sully knows the helmet rule. I don’t think he knew a player could put their helmet back on and play.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I’m not sure Sully knows the helmet rule. I don’t think he knew a player could put their helmet back on and play.

He either didn't know the rule, or decided it was better to blast the refs than put the focus on the player's mistake of not just putting it back on.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Yes on Jarry. I don't see a valid reason why he'd be available for 7 but not 6 with a broken bone in the foot. The difference in healing for 2 days, this far out from injury wouldn't matter.
The only possibility I could thing of is if they didn't win game 6, then Jarry's foot may not be able to handle game 7 (ie. too much swelling, etc).

Regardless, when you know that game 7 isn't a safe place, you try an end it in game 6.

Comment from Starkey on this series, from his mailbag today…

“Jarry battled and made some big saves, but in the end he wasn’t good enough. He basically delivered what Domingue had been delivering for most of the series. If the Penguins are going to have any chance to make a serious run anytime soon, they will need Jarry to be a playoff star.”
Not really.

Shesterkin did better in game 7. Jarry may not be enough (ie. not a big game goalie), but he's levels above Domingue, in terms of generating team confidence. I'm 100% sure he would have let in 1 less goal in game 5-6.

We probably need a stronger 1-2 tandem. DeSmith is good, but he's clearly never going to challenge for the #1 spot. He's kinda like a #1B forever.

Oh...and Fleury isn't the answer :\.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The only possibility I could thing of is if they didn't win game 6, then Jarry's foot may not be able to handle game 7 (ie. too much swelling, etc).

Regardless, when you know that game 7 isn't a safe place, you try an end it in game 6.

Not really.

Shesterkin did better in game 7. Jarry may not be enough (ie. not a big game goalie), but he's levels above Domingue, in terms of generating team confidence. I'm 100% sure he would have let in 1 less goal in game 5-6.

We probably need a stronger 1-2 tandem. DeSmith is good, but he's clearly never going to challenge for the #1 spot. He's kinda like a #1B forever.

Oh...and Fleury isn't the answer :\.
I’d love for us to go after Kuemper…

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Just thinking outside the box a little here but the Penguins do eventually have to reckon with the reality that abilities deteriorate with age. Should Malkin be the 2C? Or should it be Jake? Should Jake be 3C? Would it be worth breaking up the GCR line? If Rust isn't coming back, that's happening anyway. The team was always its most impressive when it had 3 legitimate lines. The past few years, it's felt like they'd been relying on Crosby and Malkin to do everything and any production from the bottom 6 was just bonus money. 1st round exits are what they've gotten out of that.

It's clear the days of Crosby and Malkin being so dominant that it scares teams into playing conservative hockey are done. That allowed the team to skate by with offensive-minded defensemen and/or average-at-best guys for years Upgrading the defense in front of the goalies has to be a priority.

Last edited:

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
I was impressed with the Penguins' resilience, and Crosby... is still the real deal. Top 3 Center come playoffs, 35 years old notwithstanding.

What are you guys thinking in terms of coaching? Has Sully become stale? Is Trotz preferred now that he's available?

I can't imagine a Pens team without Malkin & Letang. My guess was always that they keep Rust, but there are some rumors that all 3 may be gone.

I think they've got 1-2 more chances before it's officially "End of an era", assuming they keep Geno and Tanger. Cheers guys, good series.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Just thinking outside the box a little here but the Penguins do eventually have to reckon with the reality that abilities deteriorate with age. Should Malkin be the 2C? Or should it be Jake? Should Jake be 3C? Would it be worth breaking up the GCR line? If Rust isn't coming back, that's happening anyway. The team was always its most impressive when it had 3 legitimate lines. The past few years, it's felt like they'd been relying on Crosby and Malkin to do everything and any production from the bottom 6 was just bonus money. 1st round exits are what they've gotten out of that.

It's clear the days of Crosby and Malkin being so dominant that it scares teams into playing conservative hockey are done. That allowed the team to skate by with offensive-minded defensemen and/or average-at-best guys for years Upgrading the defense in front of the goalies has to be a priority.

They tried Jake at C a few seasons ago when they couldn't find a 3C. He was terrible there.

Yes on Jarry. I don't see a valid reason why he'd be available for 7 but not 6 with a broken bone in the foot. The difference in healing for 2 days, this far out from injury wouldn't matter.

48 hours is completely significant when dealing with ANY injury.

Comment from Starkey on this series, from his mailbag today…

“Jarry battled and made some big saves, but in the end he wasn’t good enough. He basically delivered what Domingue had been delivering for most of the series. If the Penguins are going to have any chance to make a serious run anytime soon, they will need Jarry to be a playoff star.”

This is the dumbest of takes. Jarry was a D minus last year's playoffs
This playoffs was Incomplete

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
48 hours is completely significant when dealing with ANY injury.

No, it's really not. Especially when he's skating/practicing on it and it's a month out from the injury. If he was that far along to allow that activity there's no risk of dmg and it's a pain/tolerance thing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Did they? When? For how long? Who was on his line?

It was very early in the season when they did the whole McKegg and every other C they could find after Bonino left.

No, it's really not. Especially when he's skating/practicing on it and it's a month out from the injury. If he was that far along to allow that activity there's no risk of dmg and it's a pain/tolerance thing.

Have you played contact sports?

I've had too many injuries to count where I thought playing was impossible. But with ice/heat/electro stim I was back playing in days.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It was very early in the season when they did the whole McKegg and every other C they could find after Bonino left.

I've had too many injuries to count where I thought playing was impossible. But with ice/heat/electro stim I was back playing in days.
McKegg? That was awhile ago. I'd give him another look

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Yes, several for many years. All of what you list would have been done initially, not a month out. He'd been a full practice participant for like a week. There's nothing treatment wise that will make a difference at that point.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yes, several for many years. All of what you list would have been done initially, not a month out. He'd been a full practice participant for like a week. There's nothing treatment wise that will make a difference at that point.

My brother is a PA in the Ortho world. He's a Devils fan and I've been texting him about Jarry's injury. He's said all along it's about comfort. I'll confirm with him now if 48 makes a difference or not

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

We need to build around them to take advantage of their abilities and make up for any shortcomings.

Of course as they age, that becomes harder and harder. Past you could have Kunitz and Dupuis flank Crosby. Can’t do that anymore. Caliber has to be higher (ie. Guentzel/Rakell).

Ultimately (and this is somewhat where we are) the cap becomes a bigger factor. Ie. How much can we afford on Malkin?

I think we need to save on our 4th line (all WBS or entry level young guys) and our 3rd pairing D.

Use that money to build a decent 3rd line.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Anyone thinking Dumo being out being huge hasn't really been paying attention to how he's played recently. Equating Matheson deflections to Dumo just not being able to skate is just wrong. We'd see a whole different kind of NYR goal were they to switch places. And those wouldn't be of the "dumb luck" variety.
You think it s a total coincidence that the PK imploded without Dumo?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You think it s a total coincidence that the PK imploded without Dumo?

Well the PK wasn't so hot to close out the season, really.

It was a combo of Jarry falling back to earth and us facing a stiffer schedule to close out the RS.

Then in the playoffs yes not having Dumo to PK, plus Domingue being not good and Boyle the statue up top contributed greatly to our demise

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Seize the means of production?

Or wait, was that "The specter of free agency is haunting Pittsburgh?"
71yUG55s-CL.jpg

Metzer was talking about the loss of Dumo as being huge in this series on his podcast with Benz this morning….completely trashed Math-Letang pairing and faulted Math for the own goals wherein the puck hit his skate…noted it was due to lack of defensive awareness…this is exactly what I was saying for those of you praising Math in this series and attributing it to “bad luck” lol

Metzer & Benz :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:just take the opposite....

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How close is Poulin to being NHL ready? Is he already?

He is by no means a bust but his stock was falling a bit even before he hit the AHL and he didn't exactly light it up in WB/S his rookie season. It would be foolish to say he's nothing special without more time and development but so far his contributions have indicated nothing special.

He has a future as an NHL player I'm fairly certain. But as a top six C/W? Maybe doubtful.

I think there are at least three guys ahead of him right now if it comes to strictly NHL readiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad