GDT: Game 7! Er... // Penguins @ Oilers // Oct 23 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SN-1

Who is currently the best hockey player in the world?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good.

Hopefully Gravel can show well in a bottom pair role. Would really help the club.

Real messages being sent to bottomsix and lower pairings. So far we've had Brodz, Kass, Cagg, Benning, Garrison, Chiasson now Khaira all benched and org sending messages. Complete with the statement that this season jobs will be lost. At least the org is standing by that and requiring more from these players. (Benning I think though was all injury, not sure)

We need that bottom fighting for jobs. I don't think Khaira couldn't see this coming.

Its a bit of accountability. I like too that Pulju hasn't been made part of that. Its the vets that should know better that should be getting the tough love message. These players should know better.

I like Gravel, but man, what a game to bring him into. Heres the Pittsburgh Penguins, no sheltering possible, have fun out there. That's the throw them in the deep end to get them to learn to swim approach. Guy hasn't played 1 min of regular season and its the Pens up. haha Just as well, Benning would be torched in a game like this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDavid seems to really get up for games against Crosby, so that's good for us.

Look for the Penguins to try and throw a curveball at the Oilers by playing a defensive game like they did in shutting down Matthews a week ago.

Really I think they won't even care. I figure we see an abysmal effort by the Pens tonight and the Oilers sneaking out a W.

Alberta road trips still have a way to go. Its interesting that the first thing on coaches minds is how to inspire their clubs to even be interested in these Western swings of Edm, Cgy, Van. In the case of Nashville the coach even opted to wear the animal mask if the Preds took both games. Plus this being early in the season.

The reality is for the Pens this is a nothing game.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how Gravel can do.
I seen him in warmup the other night. I went down along the glass to take pictures. He is a monster. Hopefully we have something here. Everyone is screaming for Bear. I say leave him down for a bit playing 25-30 mins a game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I seen him in warmup the other night. I went down along the glass to take pictures. He is a monster. Hopefully we have something here. Everyone is screaming for Bear. I say leave him down for a bit playing 25-30 mins a game.

Ive watched Gravel lots in LA. He's got game. Physicality, strength, smart calm play. Bad things were not happening as often with him in lineup. That said he's sure not an answer for puck movement on most nights either but he's helpful in own end and physical in taking guys out. He's got decent legs too. Doesn't get caught too often. But mostly solid reads and positional play. Less likely as a D to go out of fishing trips and be caught lost.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
1st NHL game for Marody, hope he'll be on fire. Not sure what to think about Khaira, made a step forward last season but seems a little bit lost right know.

Go Oilers!

Reactions: RegDunlop

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Bring Bear up after Bouchard gets sent back to Jr.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Ive watched Gravel lots in LA. He's got game. Physicality, strength, smart calm play. Bad things were not happening as often with him in lineup. That said he's sure not an answer for puck movement on most nights either but he's helpful in own end and physical in taking guys out. He's got decent legs too. Doesn't get caught too often. But mostly solid reads and positional play. Less likely as a D to go out of fishing trips and be caught lost.

Sounds like potentially a good bottom pairing guy to be paired with Bouchard.

Reactions: ujju2 and Mez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Him being with Bouchard will be good. Gravels puck movement is lacking heavily, and that's Bouchard's strong point. Bouchard still needs a bit of help in his own zone and Gravel can help with that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We can't move the puck anyway, so that's no big loss, lol. As long as he's not a "tire fire" d-man that'll be good.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This team had a nasty habit last year of letting one loss turn to 2 or 3 or more losses.

Hoping for a big bounce back game with a win.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
doesn't Gravel have a good shot too?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Maybe I lost something in translation but this came from Todd in the pre-game interviews (in the question about if Nurse should match up vs Malkin and Larsson vs Crosby):

- it's not taking anything away from Nurse because Lars loves to get in the opposition's equipment. He likes to get close, he likes to feel and hear and smell and all that type of stuff of the opponent -- get that close to him and get physical. Darnell can do that as well -- uhmmmm -- you know and then you got the puck mover, if you wanna call Russell that and Klef on the other side .... So they are constructed similarily, one pair will be playing better than the other, that's just ths way --- and one C in PIT will be playing better than the other so we have to try to get out the right pair against the right player.

Three things;
1. Did he answer the question which was about if Nurse's mobility was better suited to defend vs Malkin and Larsson more suited to Crosby as he loves the one on one battle?
2. Wtf is he on about in the middle?.... I don't get it.
3. So can I assume its confirmed, as has been speculated, that Klefbom and Russell are the puck-movers? Lars and Nurse are the feel-hear-and-smell guy?...

I have had no doubt in my mind that these guys are told to defer to Klefbom and Russell for breakouts, which is a damn shame if you ask me

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Him being with Bouchard will be good. Gravels puck movement is lacking heavily, and that's Bouchard's strong point. Bouchard still needs a bit of help in his own zone and Gravel can help with that.
Just needs to move the puck to Bouch. One mover one smeller per pair.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Gravel and Marody drawing in. At least there's so some new guys to check out. Man we need some of these Chias revolving door of hopefuls to work out and work out in a big way.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Rocking a nice PPG pace, and about .50 PPG or better for the last 3 years as well. Oh also rocking a nice contribution to a Stanley Cup victory. It's almost as if the player who was touted as having really good offence, and had good offence as an Oiler, is a good offensive D-man. How nice would that look right now with a D that can barely put pucks on net, make outlet passes, and doesn't have the stick skills to keep pucks in at the blue line. But of course, he's "lazy" because he was getting overhwhelmed on a **** Oilers team with no help and no support around him.

If he actually does win the Norris one of these days, which isn’t so far-fetched anymore, there won’t be a crow left in the skies of Edmonton.

You guys, was MacTavish actually, y’know, kinda good?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Pens top 9 on offense is solid. The boys needs to be skating tonight other than just McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad