GDT: Game 7! Er... // Penguins @ Oilers // Oct 23 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SN-1

Who is currently the best hockey player in the world?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Can we note poke fun against opponents now?

Come on guys. Everyone knows Schultz has turned around his career in a great way, people may differ on why. I have no problem taking a serious Schultz discussion at another place, but this is GDT and I think cherry-picking what-ever stat you want to poke fun at an opponent is ok.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Voted Crosby.

3-2 Oilers.

Strome with a goal and Bouchard with a helper on a goal hopefully PP.

CMD better score when hes not on the ice. Dude is totally slacking off on the bench.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I'm not talking about resting Talbot though, I'm talking about keeping a guy who's "supposed" to challenge Talbot fresh. Oh and he's being paid 2.5 million dollars. He's going to go a month in between games, so he's probably not going to start hot, and then we're going back to Talbot every game because now we can't trust Koskinen.

If Chiarelli signed Koskinen and didn't discuss how McLellan was going to run the goalies, then it's just as much on him as it is on TMac. I'm just saying, you make a commitment to a guy, you talk about Talbot needing someone to challenge him, and then you sit him for the first month of the season while Talbot continues to play fairly average hockey (if we're being honest). It's just bad player management.

Meanwhile Broisoit with Winnipeg is 2-0.

I know he failed us but sucks to let him go and see him perform.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I was poking fun at a former Oiler having some hilariously bad numbers.

Are some fans so bitter that they somehow think that's a "dumb comment" in a GDT? lol

Some definitely are, though I'm not on that list. To this day I'm glad that Jultz doesn't play for the Oilers anymore.

What I'm being critical of here is your attempt to play the victim because someone pointed out that your snickering was honestly pretty silly.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm not talking about resting Talbot though, I'm talking about keeping a guy who's "supposed" to challenge Talbot fresh. Oh and he's being paid 2.5 million dollars. He's going to go a month in between games, so he's probably not going to start hot, and then we're going back to Talbot every game because now we can't trust Koskinen.

If Chiarelli signed Koskinen and didn't discuss how McLellan was going to run the goalies, then it's just as much on him as it is on TMac. I'm just saying, you make a commitment to a guy, you talk about Talbot needing someone to challenge him, and then you sit him for the first month of the season while Talbot continues to play fairly average hockey (if we're being honest). It's just bad player management.

Yep its quite clear (if it wasnt already) that Chiarelli and McLellan arent on the same page. Whether thats Chiarellis lack of communication or McLellans stubbornness who knows. But like you said its bad player management.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It's 2 games. His problem was consistency. I need to see more before I'd be upset

I still dont think he can track the puck properly. That being said I havent watched the Jets games with him in net.

But at the same time, if guys arent getting playtime, its hard for them to look good because they overthink everything and they try to do too much with the little time they get because they dont know when they will be getting more playtime. A lot of hockey players are accustomed to routines, and if the coaching/management staff isnt providing that, it messes them up.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Bold prediction:

Pens - Oilers 2 - 4
McD 1 G 2 A
EN scored by Strome (unassisted)

Drai / Pulju with another bad game.
Klefbom fails to keep a bouncing puck in the O-zone a couple of times but logs 26 mins TOI with really no other issues.

HfOil implodes and everyone calls for McLellan's and Chia's heads. Pulju is worse than Yakupov and lazy-ass Drai needs to start earning his paycheck (despite having 2 PP pts). Klefbom is braindead because he can't hold a bouncing puck in the O-zone.

........ maybe it's not that bold of a prediction to be honest.

Reactions: Duke74 and Mez

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He failed. All you can do is put him in the net and expect saves, he didn't provide them.

No you could do more. You could put a defence that wasn't injured, wasn't filled with NON NHLers, then see what type of goalie he really is.

The Jets and the Wild have a pretty good Defence, Worked nicely for our failed goalies.

Reactions: RegDunlop and ujju2

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
What's up with Rattie though. Should I drop him from my yahoo draft? Seems like if I do, it was a waste of a 1st overall pick. Like I mean, he led the pre season in scoring. So I don't know.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
McDavid always has a strong game against Crosby. Couple that with the frustration of last game and I feel a big night coming from the captain. The rest of the teams feeds off this energy and plays well as well, adding another goal without McDavid's help. Probably an empty netter (baby steps) . 4-2 oilers final.

Reactions: LaGu

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No you could do more. You could put a defence that wasn't injured, wasn't filled with NON NHLers, then see what type of goalie he really is.

The Jets and the Wild have a pretty good Defence, Worked nicely for our failed goalies.
No man, that performance in that Flames game was the end of his career as an Oiler, and rightfully so. You're right, having a better team would have helped, but there's "Giving up goals" and there's "Not making Saves" And Brossoit was prone to the latter by the end.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Koskinen should have played his second game against the Predators. So Talbot would have played this game.

Trying to look at this logically

:dunno:

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Expecting McDavid to do well. Unlike the stifling Preds, this one should be at least a 3+ goal effort.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Some definitely are, though I'm not on that list. To this day I'm glad that Jultz doesn't play for the Oilers anymore.

What I'm being critical of here is your attempt to play the victim because someone pointed out that your snickering was honestly pretty silly.

That's kind of how poking fun works...

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Murray plays like a god against us. We let in 3 goals in 1:40 but otherwise play a solid 58 minutes. We hit 4 posts.

Score is 4-0.

Bonus points - first shot of the game goes in after it banks weirdly off of Russell. TMac says in his post game that we had "a lot of good looks".

Reactions: Mez

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Voted Crosby.

3-2 Oilers.

Strome with a goal and Bouchard with a helper on a goal hopefully PP.

CMD better score when hes not on the ice. Dude is totally slacking off on the bench.

I'm feeling 4-2 with an empty netter. I think they'll be motivated against Pittsburgh after the Nashville game, plus it's Pittsburgh. I'm gonna say Klefbom and Khaira get their first goals of the year tonight, Lucic scores as well while Connor gets a few McPoints (none from the bench though to keep his PFB% at 0% - for shame Connor :shakehead, Crosby scores from the bench).

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It would be great if Gravel could come in and play well with Bouchard. I thought he played better than Garrison in preseason and was sent down too early. Having a good 3rd pairing who can move the puck would do wonders for this team.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No man, that performance in that Flames game was the end of his career as an Oiler, and rightfully so. You're right, having a better team would have helped, but there's "Giving up goals" and there's "Not making Save" And Brossoit was prone to the latter by the end.

You talking about that 7-5 Win we had against the Flames where Brossoit "shat the bed" in the 3rd and put up an .853 Save Percentage. The game where we dressed not one but THREE non NHL defenceman? We had Auvitu, Gryba, and Benning in that game And of course the horrible and injured Klefbom in that game.

Keep in mind this is ONE game. In the Flames barn, where the Oilers fell asleep because they had a sizeable lead in the 3rd. But let's review that game and see just how bad Brossoit failed us or did we fail him?
Here are the highlights:
1st goal against - Benning gets stripped at the Blue Line while QBing a PP. Flames go on a 2 on 1. Cross ice feed, uncontested shot from point blank range, 5 hole goal. Benning Fail.
2nd goal against - No Highlight in the highlight package for some reason.
3rd goal against - Flames PP. Traffic in front of net, shot gets through. From the half circle. It's a PP, screened shot. No one failed.
4th goal against - Bennet rushes in from the left side. Russel while trying to gap FALLS for NO REASON. Bennet is left open, uncontested, streaking down the wing, rips it top corner while skating uncontested all the way to the slot. Russel Fail.
5th goal against - This one's on Brossoit. A sharp angle shot but from a crafty Gaudreau though. Brossoit Fail.

So really Brossoit screwed up on 1 goal, the Gaudreau one and it seems to be a positioning issue. Something that I'm sure with more coaching and experience can be fixed in his game. And you want to talk failure of defence vs goalie.

Anyways, at the end of the day I'm sure Brossoit gave up some other softies throughout the season and he never really did impress. But neither did Talbot. And Brossoit no matter what had a small sample size where we actually saw him, and ZERO sample size where we saw him with a real defence in front of him. So my contention is the same, how the heck do we know what we really have here? Talbot was bad too, is he not NHL worthy as well? The one constant between both goalies was that horrid defence they played behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->