GDT: Game 7! Er... // Penguins @ Oilers // Oct 23 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SN-1

Who is currently the best hockey player in the world?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Not sure what to expect here. Tunnel offense Oilers vs past SC champs. Only the Oilers have something to prove. Its a nothing game for the Pens. you never know what you're getting and the result won't mean much at all.

tbh If I'm Crosby I'm not even all that motivated anymore. He's done everything there is to do.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure what to expect here. Tunnel offense Oilers vs past SC champs. Only the Oilers have something to prove. Its a nothing game for the Pens. you never know what you're getting and the result won't mean much at all.

tbh If I'm Crosby I'm not even all that motivated anymore. He's done everything there is to do.
He hasn't scored yet this year. You know he'll fix that tonight.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Meanwhile Broisoit with Winnipeg is 2-0.

I know he failed us but sucks to let him go and see him perform.

He's looked like prime Brodeur in the few periods that I've seen him play for the Jets. I think it was in his first start that he stopped like 7 unbelievable point blank scoring chances in the first period...needless to say, my jaw dropped

Reactions: RegDunlop

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Im in the wrong thread for this subject I'll admit. It really should be saved for the eventual and/or ongoing fire ALL management and owners threads. But we Oilers fans are always trying to figure out what's wrong with our team? Why do we SUCK? At least acknowledging past mistakes is one step in figuring out that seemingly eternal question. So a disagree that just cause something is in the past it can't be discussed.

Admits he is in the wrong thread and then goes on and on and on again... ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You talking about that 7-5 Win we had against the Flames where Brossoit "shat the bed" in the 3rd and put up an .853 Save Percentage. The game where we dressed not one but THREE non NHL defenceman? We had Auvitu, Gryba, and Benning in that game And of course the horrible and injured Klefbom in that game.

Keep in mind this is ONE game. In the Flames barn, where the Oilers fell asleep because they had a sizeable lead in the 3rd. But let's review that game and see just how bad Brossoit failed us or did we fail him?
Here are the highlights:
1st goal against - Benning gets stripped at the Blue Line while QBing a PP. Flames go on a 2 on 1. Cross ice feed, uncontested shot from point blank range, 5 hole goal. Benning Fail.
2nd goal against - No Highlight in the highlight package for some reason.
3rd goal against - Flames PP. Traffic in front of net, shot gets through. From the half circle. It's a PP, screened shot. No one failed.
4th goal against - Bennet rushes in from the left side. Russel while trying to gap FALLS for NO REASON. Bennet is left open, uncontested, streaking down the wing, rips it top corner while skating uncontested all the way to the slot. Russel Fail.
5th goal against - This one's on Brossoit. A sharp angle shot but from a crafty Gaudreau though. Brossoit Fail.

So really Brossoit screwed up on 1 goal, the Gaudreau one and it seems to be a positioning issue. Something that I'm sure with more coaching and experience can be fixed in his game. And you want to talk failure of defence vs goalie.

Anyways, at the end of the day I'm sure Brossoit gave up some other softies throughout the season and he never really did impress. But neither did Talbot. And Brossoit no matter what had a small sample size where we actually saw him, and ZERO sample size where we saw him with a real defence in front of him. So my contention is the same, how the heck do we know what we really have here? Talbot was bad too, is he not NHL worthy as well? The one constant between both goalies was that horrid defence they played behind.

For some reason I remember the 2nd goal being the stinker that gave a little momentum then Calgary came at them with all they got, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Brossoit also allowed 5 GA vs. the Leafs the game before. He had also had 5 or more in two of his previous 4 starts.

However, he was better after the Calgary game allowing 12 goals in his next 5 starts on 131 shots, but the coach had basically given up on him by that point. He still has a chance to be something, that early stumble after Cam's injury got into TMc's mind and he wouldn't allow him to start again once Cam got healthy.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

I'm sure he wants to be as high up as he can be on the all-time scoring lists

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Big night for McDavid, I'm thinking 3 goals minimum.

Free money right here.
6bca7f24-7483-45fc-927e-f1438a0e6482.png

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm sure he wants to be as high up as he can be on the all-time scoring lists
That's probably all that's left. If he gets another cup he may want to keep pushing for the 5th to pass Gretzky and put him only behind the Messier/Lowe/Anderson trio and Trottier for the most cup wins by a player post WHA expansion.

Guaranteed he's already in the Hall of Fame when eligible.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid seems to really get up for games against Crosby, so that's good for us.

Look for the Penguins to try and throw a curveball at the Oilers by playing a defensive game like they did in shutting down Matthews a week ago.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For some reason I remember the 2nd goal being the stinker that gave a little momentum then Calgary came at them with all they got, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Brossoit also allowed 5 GA vs. the Leafs the game before. He had also had 5 or more in two of his previous 4 starts.

However, he was better after the Calgary game allowing 12 goals in his next 5 starts on 131 shots, but the coach had basically given up on him by that point. He still has a chance to be something, that early stumble after Cam's injury got into TMc's mind and he wouldn't allow him to start again once Cam got healthy.
Couldn't trust him is more the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->