GDT: Game 7| Columbus Blue Jackets at Detroit Red Wings| October 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM - FSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've been thinking Glendening may be moving ahead of Andersson

Don't want him (Glendening) as the 3C. Not even close to enough offense.

Let's hope Helm moves ahead of both of them quickly.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, the 2nd line is just non-existent. I think Tatar should get a try there at some point. See if he and Weiss show anything. Nyquist would likely give it another dimension if he ever got a shot. We need a guy who is offensively skilled, but also willing to work more than once or twice a night. Franzen takes too many shifts off to make it a threat.

I'd like to see Tatar or Nyquist there, too. I have to think the initial hope was that Alfredsson and Franzen would have some sort of Swedish connection going and Weiss could fit in, but nothing came of it. And now I don't know what is going on with Franzen. The guy looks genuinely lost on the ice. Yeah, he should just skate harder and go scrum along the boards, at least it'd be something. The guy is just flatlining instead.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yes. Playing hockey 10-20 minutes a night isn't that tough.
I used to play hockey 5 days a week. We didn't get tired
We didn't play worse if we played the night before

It's weird that of all the people who have ever discussed the idea of fatigue in a back-to-back game, you're the only guy who has had the first hand experience necessary to debunk that ridiculous myth.

Meanwhile all these announcers and analysts just prattle on oblivious, never having played sports before in their lives.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd like to see Tatar or Nyquist there, too. I have to think the initial hope was that Alfredsson and Franzen would have some sort of Swedish connection going and Weiss could fit in, but nothing came of it. And now I don't know what is going on with Franzen. The guy looks genuinely lost on the ice. Yeah, he should just skate harder and go scrum along the boards, at least it'd be something. The guy is just flatlining instead.

Yeah agreed. Franzen needs to start doing something. Doesn't have to be goals. Just do something to justify being in the NHL.

RedWingsNow*

It's weird that of all the people who have ever discussed the idea of fatigue in a back-to-back game, you're the only guy who has had the first hand experience necessary to debunk that ridiculous myth.

Meanwhile all these announcers and analysts just prattle on oblivious, never having played sports before in their lives.

I didn't hear Mickey prattling on and on and on.
I did hear Daniels talking about "tired" Detroit.

Did Detroit look tired to you?

Which guys would you say played tired today?

Which guys didn't have jump today?

People repeating **** over and over doesn't make it true.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
The second line honestly needs either Tatar or Nyquist. It's brutal.

Z - D - Bert
Nyquist/Tatar - Weiss - Alfie
Franzen - Andersson - Cleary
Abdelkader - Glendening - Tootoo

We really have too many forwards. I like Miller and have to leave him off because I'm trying to be somewhat realistic and can't take Cleary off. Helm coming back bumps Glendening down; I don't know which line I'd rather Helm on, neither looks great offensively. Probably the fourth. At least we'd have a good energy line, then.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Excuses have gone both ways over the years. We beat a good team and the theme is that they were just tired, we lose, it's because we're tired. If everyone wants to agree that it doesn't make a difference, I'm cool with that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Don't want him (Glendening) as the 3C. Not even close to enough offense.

Let's hope Helm moves ahead of both of them quickly.

Same. Glendening is a gritty player who is good defensively, but he's not a third line center. We need more from that spot.

RedWingsNow*

Excuses have gone both ways over the years. We beat a good team and the theme is that they were just tired, we lose, it's because we're tired. If everyone wants to agree that it doesn't make a difference, I'm cool with that.

Fair enough.
There are times when you can clearly see a team is dragging -- like the first game against Boston this year.
I just hate hearing the built in excuses before the puck is dropped.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
It's nice to rack up wins, but the 5-2 record feels like a mirage. They've gotten nothing from the 2nd through 4th lines at 5 on 5 all year and ditto for the 2nd and 3rd D pairings. PK has been good and so is the 1st PP unit so there is something to build on with special teams. The goalie play has also been strong and the 5 man combo of the top forward line and top D pairing has played like one of the better units in the league. I just don't know how much longer they will stick together. Weiss and Franzen have been abysmal together.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
People who leave games with five minutes to go, during a 2-1 game should be sent to prison.

People have jobs. That 8 start time is brutal. I have to be at work by 5am and my wife 7 so it wouldn't be unusual to leave a few min early for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People have jobs. That 8 start time is brutal. I have to be at work by 5am and my wife 7 so it wouldn't be unusual to leave a few min early for us.

Yeah, plus include the fact of how spread out a lot of the crowd is from the game because of how Detroit and the suburbs are. Used to infuriate me when I was young as my father is a part of the leave early crowd, but the first time you get stuck in the JLA or Cobo parking structure with something important in the morning, it is a pretty big bummer. It happens, to each their own, given how we finished games last year against Columbus if I had stayed for those, I might have left on superstitious grounds anyway.:laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, plus include the fact of how spread out a lot of the crowd is from the game because of how Detroit and the suburbs are. Used to infuriate me when I was young as my father is a part of the leave early crowd, but the first time you get stuck in the JLA or Cobo parking structure with something important in the morning, it is a pretty big bummer. It happens, to each their own, given how we finished games last year against Columbus if I had stayed for those, I might have left on superstitious grounds anyway.:laugh:

Get to the car and listen on the radio. It sucks, but there's more than hockey and so on.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

I don't know how competitive that other poster played, but you certainly do get tired in back-to-backs and in say 3 games in 4 days. I played at a college level and then ECHL level. It's not a myth.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Wings' 3 wins have not been a fluke. They are being assaulted, bombarded, yet they support each other and somehow survive. Credit to Boston for the strength we gained from facing them and I thought this was just as physical. Credit to the BJ's they have a lot of big tough players they made for a good hockey game. Didn't see much from Gaborik and Anisimov I was surprised.

Weiss is looking the best of the 3 mentioned we need to get beasting. Hilarious the comment that he fatigues easily, so true. He's playing like it's 2003 and needs to take shorter shifts. But the way he contains the puck at times shows how strong that guy is. Alfredsson is starting to assert himself more, those 2 are going to get back to themselves here I hope and really turn it on this season. Forget the systems and positions we need every player we've got to light the fire and take over a game. They've both obviously got it in them.

Franzen, I'm not so sure about but if we win he did something right so no problemo tonight!

I shouldn't poke fun but RWN must be cracking up that Abdelkader has gotten so invisible the last 2 games. :laugh: I guess hearing his name called incessantly on the 1st line was a product of playing with D and Z? Still though he honestly carries his weight and I think Alfie should move up and and let Justin spark the 3rd line or 4th for that matter. He and Helm did break out together and Abbie has grown into a better player than imagined.

As insane as it is Bertuzzi is proving to being a winning option for the 1st line and PP. It's the same old **** with him, things just work out. I seen him get stripped a few times in both games yet somehow the D keep the puck in a bail him out. He and Datsyuk have had unbelievable chemistry on a line together for YEARS. Was it 2010 or 2011 that with all our injuries mid-season Bert was keeping this team afloat? I'm saying I thought he was pretty much done but this game showed me something.

Glendening isn't "better" than Emmerton or Andersson he's different and good at what he does. I do like him right now more than Emmerton. He and Tootoo are having a field day out there. It's like the ultimate hockey, Junior hockey where you still finish EVERY check. He works hard and things go his way alot. Miller is making the best of his time I believe and damn the job is getting done. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, right?

Andersson is much more developed than Glendening and has a huge role in the NHL. Centering a 3rd line he also runs out of gas quick and makes weak plays once in a while. But again, we're not getting scored on (badly), he gets his chances here and there. We know the magic last year was with Nyquist and Brunner in the playoffs but on a line with Cleary it proves he can hold his own as 3rd line center.

Gustavsson is a son of a gun! Jonah and the Whale! I finally get his nickname because he has had two MONSTER games, back to back. Probably because he's out of position makes it so exciting. :laugh: Either way he is battling very hard and it's a blast to watch. I've enjoyed every game so far this season for that matter and ready for DET @ COL on Thursday! Lets Go Red Wings!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I feel the same way when wings fans around here root for us to lose.

It's to inspire change in management. Rival's fans want the Wings to lose because they get joy from it.

Some of us want a change of culture in management and sadly see a losing streak as the only thing that will bring that about.

Sort of like a parent who watches as his kid just doesn't study for exams and hopes that he fails one, just so he learns the consequences and starts realizing that studying is important.

Don't act like we want the team to lose just for the sake of losing. We're looking out for the health of the club.

Ekeing out wins like this while getting out chanced and out shot just cements in people's minds that this is a solid team. But real solid teams control play and don't get out shot. I'd rather lose and be set on the path to sustained winning than win a close one against a mediocre team while getting outplayed at home just to have people think we have nothing to work on because "hey, we won!"

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
It's to inspire change in management. Rival's fans want the Wings to lose because they get joy from it.

Some of us want a change of culture in management and sadly see a losing streak as the only thing that will bring that about.

Sort of like a parent who watches as his kid just doesn't study for exams and hopes that he fails one, just so he learns the consequences and starts realizing that studying is important.

Don't act like we want the team to lose just for the sake of losing. We're looking out for the health of the club.

Ekeing out wins like this while getting out chanced and out shot just cements in people's minds that this is a solid team. But real solid teams control play and don't get out shot. I'd rather lose and be set on the path to sustained winning than win a close one against a mediocre team while getting outplayed at home just to have people think we have nothing to work on because "hey, we won!"

Just dont seem right.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Didnt watch the game, but it seems that it was as tough as I feared. Monster must have had a monster game huh? Nice with 2p anyhow.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Just to be clear: the entire professional hockey world is wrong about how it, itself, works. You, the layman, are correct and correcting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad