GDT: Game 69: Vegas Golden Knights @ Winnipeg Jets | 5:00PM | Air Crash Investigation

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am honestly pissed that this team never has the balls to pull Fleury. They always leave him in the net. Not saying Lehner would have done differently. But holy f***ing shit. Send a god damn message.

But nope, let's destroy Fleurys stats even more.

Reactions: hangman005

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sure - I watched Smith on a 2 on 1 wait, wait wait to pass by which time the Jet back-checked the puck and we didn't even get a shot off.

This has been a problem since last season. Marchessault shoots when he should pass and Smith and Karlsson passes when they should shoot.

Pacioretty and Stone have better hockey IQ of when they should pass and shoot.

But Smith has been better this season about it but not as much as Pacioretty or Stone.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It’s not cherry picking stats when Holden made several mistakes that led to those goals. That was why I reacted to the stat the way I did.

Not sure I buy the argument that other defenders make a lot of mistakes so it’s okay for Holden to play poorly too. Whitecloud is a young rookie and already looks better than him.

Guy whiffs on a puck. Puck goes behind the net. Opponent touches it twice to get to a point shot that on a lucky bounce goes right into the wheelhouse of one of the league's best snipers and he buries it with a perfect shot. Yet its all Holden's fault. Sure it is.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
This has been a problem since last season. Marchessault shoots when he should pass and Smith and Karlsson passes when they should shoot.

Pacioretty and Stone have better hockey IQ of when they should pass and shoot.

But Smith has been better this season about it but not as much as Pacioretty or Stone.

Pacioretty is a sniper, Stone has some of the best hockey sense (IQ)in the league. Smith has been carrying his line this year. With the possible emergence of Roy, I'd move Karlsson back to Marhcy-Smith line and put Roy between Patches and Stone, move Stastny to third line,I think getting Tuch back and putting Stastny there with Carrier and Tuch might solidify the third line. Then Stephenson goes to fourth line + PK.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's had a few really good plays on defense. They get overlooked about as much as Whiteclouds mistakes.
Maybe cause Whitecloud's career isn't even 20 games old yet and Holden is supposed to be the veteran presence teaching him and he still got extended in spite of a great many mistakes lately.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anyway that third period was pathetic. The lesson they learned from the LA loss stuck with them for a whopping one game. Pathetic all around but Flower in particular needs to get it together if he wants to keep his spot as starter.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Maybe cause Whitecloud's career isn't even 20 games old yet and Holden is supposed to be the veteran presence teaching him and he still got extended in spite of a great many mistakes lately.

As did Hagues mistakes before he got sent back to the AHL. The posts did not represent this.

Fans fall in love with young players and their potential and that bias creeps into their thinking, coaches don't and focus on the now and we get situations where fans rage at an extension and the pros commend a good contract.

None of our rookies have shown themselves a better option and Whitecloud has kept up but not exceeded in his dozen games. If another steps up next season and Whitecloud maintains a level Holden is a good 7D who can come in cold and provide NHL level play for when they need him.

Teams in a cap league have flawed players at the bottom of their lineups, go figure.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Pacioretty is a sniper, Stone has some of the best hockey sense (IQ)in the league. Smith has been carrying his line this year. With the possible emergence of Roy, I'd move Karlsson back to Marhcy-Smith line and put Roy between Patches and Stone, move Stastny to third line,I think getting Tuch back and putting Stastny there with Carrier and Tuch might solidify the third line. Then Stephenson goes to fourth line + PK.

It's not a bad idea, don't know when Glass is supposed to return.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
It's not a bad idea, don't know when Glass is supposed to return.
Honestly, I love Glass' potential, but I seriously doubt we see him the rest of the year. He needs to put on a little more muscle. Love him on the power play, though, it isn't good since he left.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Guy whiffs on a puck. Puck goes behind the net. Opponent touches it twice to get to a point shot that on a lucky bounce goes right into the wheelhouse of one of the league's best snipers and he buries it with a perfect shot. Yet its all Holden's fault. Sure it is.

But nobody ever said that.

Last edited:

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
No, he doesn't always look better than him. Not even a lion's share of the time. More often possibly.

Some of the goals were on the PK and not all were his fault, some were Whitecloud's. People pick him out and pick on him as if we could do better or that every team has better defenders at 6. No one in our system is a better option at this point and he can be easily used as a great 7D option if someone does next season.

The same posters who criticize Holden were absolutely silent at the bad play of Hague that got him demoted to the AHL to keep developing. He is what he is and he does enough for us for what we ask of him, a cap league requires championship teams to find what they can where they can.

I think if Hague plays a lot of games and continues his struggles next season we would see more criticism of him, especially with Eakin and Subban no longer around. He is still just a rookie that didn’t play that many games yet.

Look at how frustrated people were with Subban. He helped with the cap, and was just a backup, but I don’t think people held him to a much different standard than Fleury. People wanted to see him develop better than he did. If Subban lost a game 4-0 like Fleury did today people wouldn’t hold back on their criticism of him either.

Reactions: hn777

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As did Hagues mistakes before he got sent back to the AHL. The posts did not represent this.

Fans fall in love with young players and their potential and that bias creeps into their thinking, coaches don't and focus on the now and we get situations where fans rage at an extension and the pros commend a good contract.

None of our rookies have shown themselves a better option and Whitecloud has kept up but not exceeded in his dozen games. If another steps up next season and Whitecloud maintains a level Holden is a good 7D who can come in cold and provide NHL level play for when they need him.

Teams in a cap league have flawed players at the bottom of their lineups, go figure.
So by your own words he's a 7d but also he's at least our 5th best option right now. Is that not a problem?

You are Holden's lone defender around here but your only defense is either "Whitecloud makes mistakes too" or "Whitecloud isn't as good" which is a very arguable position but isn't an argument I feel like having again especially since I'm objective enough to admit that a smaller sample size isn't a fair element to his superior advanced analytics. Point is even as a defender of his, you're unable to protest that he has his tendencies of being a liability in his own zone.

Which I respect cause at least you're not obfuscating the truth of the situation. But you get so agitated that people criticize Holden and your main contention is that, essentially, he's a 7th defenseman so we shouldn't expect defensive consistency (feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood). But the thing is he's the veteran presence on his pairing and a fixture in the lineup now. On good teams, the bottom pairing tends to be the lower minute stay at home defenders who draw easier matchups and are expected to not f*** up. That's not the story with our team. Holden averages almost 20 minutes a night and often gets matched against second and sometimes even first lines.

That's where my problem is. Either the team is stupid for trusting Holden to perfrom more than what he can handle, or he's not doing enough and not consistent enough in the role he's given or a bit of both. Whatever the case is, he is the or one of the two defensemen most likely to fail to cover, box out the crease, or effectively get the puck out of the zone. And sure, it's not like Merrill or Engo could do much better but there in lies the problem with the extension. The extension is essentially a vote of confidence for a guy that isn't much more consistent than the two guys riding the press box. And sure, you may well be right that next year we could acquire a proper number 6 through trade or free agency or Hague could step up after summer training and earn a consistent spot with Holden as the 7D.

The problem is that now, it's essentially a flip of a coin if Holden is gonna do something competent or stupid. When we get scored against I instinctively look to see who were the defenders on the ice and it's never surprising to see Holden out there, more often than not out of position or making a half assed attempt to poke the puck that doesn't work. And that presents a flaw in the machine. Not the only one, but it is one all the same.

Personally I forgive Whitecloud's mistakes cause it's growing pains, but off my own eye test he seems to possess better potential to stop an attacking forward through stick work and positioning than Holden in the long run. And whether he's better at that or not now is, again, a debate I'm not going to have but I'd bet my own balls that he'll be a far more reliable defensive presence by next season if not these upcoming playoffs than Holden. That's why it's easier to forgive the rookie with fewer than 15 games under his belt for mistakes over the veteran with nearly 500.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly, I love Glass' potential, but I seriously doubt we see him the rest of the year. He needs to put on a little more muscle. Love him on the power play, though, it isn't good since he left.
I actually don't think Glass is the reason the PP tanked. It started to regress while he was still on it. He was demoted to the second powerplay cause the former set up stopped working.

I may well be the first to loudly call for Glass developing in the AHL and especially with how his season 1 development has gone I firmly believe it's the best thing for him right now. I really doubt he's the difference between a cup and a playoff exit and his future is more important than the limited benefit he can currently bring.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think if Hague plays a lot of games and continues his struggles next season we would see more criticism of him, especially with Eakin and Subban no longer around. He is still just a rookie that didn’t play that many games yet.

Look at how frustrated people were with Subban. He helped with the cap, and was just a backup, but I don’t think people held him to a much different standard than Fleury. People wanted to see him develop better than he did. If Subban lost a game 4-0 like Fleury did today people wouldn’t hold back on their criticism of him either.

Same kind of problems we saw tonight with Fleury we saw with Subban. People overrated his potential due to his being very athletic, but, the occasional good game aside, he was a first round draft choice that the Bruins put on waivers. His glove hand was awful, as was his rebound control and he virtually always gave up one to two bad goals a game. Plus once he was losing, he gave up goal;s in bunches. He's still young, I may be wrong but I don't think he'll ever be better than a backup.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Same kind of problems we saw tonight with Fleury we saw with Subban. People overrated his potential due to his being very athletic, but, the occasional good game aside, he was a first round draft choice that the Bruins put on waivers. His glove hand was awful, as was his rebound control and he virtually always gave up one to two bad goals a game. Plus once he was losing, he gave up goal;s in bunches. He's still young, I may be wrong but I don't think he'll ever be better than a backup.
You're mostly right aside from the goals in bunches while losing. He had a number of games where he had a couple bad goals but was lights out later in the game. I don't think he'll be more than a below average starter-regular backup but he wasn't exactly a fragile floodgate either. Not always anyway.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
You're mostly right aside from the goals in bunches while losing. He had a number of games where he had a couple bad goals but was lights out later in the game. I don't think he'll be more than a below average starter-regular backup but he wasn't exactly a fragile floodgate either. Not always anyway.

I yelled Suuuuuuuuuuuub like everyone else and much wanted him to succeed, but to be honest the only thing he really brought was a low cap hit and a couple of good performances on the January road trip. Not that Fleury has been much better lately.
Actually, off of what I've seen in 2 games, admittedly a very small sample, Lehner can make us almost elite, probably just a notch below Boston, St. Louis and Colorado, with Fleury/Subban combo (post New Year Fleury) we don't even sniff that level.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I’ve definitely seen guys like Eakin and Subban get criticized after wins. And Holden too. And even Karlsson.
I don't think a single player has gone without criticism against at least once. Maybe Smith.
I yelled Suuuuuuuuuuuub like everyone else and much wanted him to succeed, but to be honest the only thing he really brought was a low cap hit and a couple of good performances on the January road trip. Not that Fleury has been much better lately.
Actually, off of what I've seen in 2 games, admittedly a very small sample, Lehner can make us almost elite, probably just a notch below Boston, St. Louis and Colorado, with Fleury/Subban combo (post New Year Fleury) we don't even sniff that level.
We need to start scoring and clean up the defense, but yes, I agree.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

We don't have to go to Subban for a comparable, we have Whitecloud who has been on the ice for most of those goals that Holden has been. Whitecloud was skating with no purpose for a few of the goals today. But Holden alone is open for ire.

I have no problem with criticism of Holden if there is acknowledgement when others on the ice with him are also not playing well. Regardless of their age. No one is saying Whitecloud doesn't have a higher potential but now he is messing up also.

And the comments about the extension are annoying, it's a small contract for insurance on our young players developing. The team is being responsible and pragmatic and that is a good sign of a mature management group.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We don't have to go to Subban for a comparable, we have Whitecloud who has been on the ice for most of those goals that Holden has been. Whitecloud was skating with no purpose for a few of the goals today. But Holden alone is open for ire.

I have no problem with criticism of Holden if there is acknowledgement when others on the ice with him are also not playing well. Regardless of their age. No one is saying Whitecloud doesn't have a higher potential but now he is messing up also.

And the comments about the extension are annoying, it's a small contract for insurance on our young players developing. The team is being responsible and pragmatic and that is a good sign of a mature management group.

Uh. I mean I can buy it's good to invest in depth but I really don't think, even putting my issues with the guy aside...even imagining he could play his best every night I don't think that was a move that deserves this level of clapping our management on the back.

Also it's not a question of how much younger Whitecloud is it's a matter of comparative experience. I don't think when two guys are, to put it generously, making an equivalent amount of mistakes that it's in the same bubble when one guy has played 13 games and the other has played 493. Holden has 38 games played for every 1 Whitecloud has. That's almost half a season's worth of experience relative to each single game Whitecloud has played. The expectation of a long time veteran is not the same as that of a fresh faced rookie. Rookies are expected to make mistakes. A player with half a thousand games doesn't have as much room to grow and when said player is unreliable, it's more frustrating. Sure both are impacting the individual games negatively (the relative and comparative degree of which I still contest, but I'm not getting into that argument) but it's easier to understand with a rookie because barring a few exceptions no rookie defensemen are reliable at a veteran level in their own zone in their first 40 games. Holden is well past that grace period. It really doesn't make sense to me that you seem to find that concept so baffling. I mean where were you when we were all criticizing Eakin? I don't seem to recall you coming here with "Oh but Cody Glass isn't scoring either so maybe we shouldn't be so critical."

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Is the defense helping, f*** no, but Fleury realistically hasn't been good since December. Now this could be because he still is having trouble focusing cause of his father dying or we could just be witnessing the end of Fleurys ability to be a starter. With his age and his play style, it really wouldn't surprise if that was the case.

With two big divisional games coming up, Lehner needs to get in net for one of those games. Would even think about playing him in both games, but they are back to back games.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So by your own words he's a 7d but also he's at least our 5th best option right now. Is that not a problem?

You are Holden's lone defender around here but your only defense is either "Whitecloud makes mistakes too" or "Whitecloud isn't as good" which is a very arguable position but isn't an argument I feel like having again especially since I'm objective enough to admit that a smaller sample size isn't a fair element to his superior advanced analytics. Point is even as a defender of his, you're unable to protest that he has his tendencies of being a liability in his own zone.

Which I respect cause at least you're not obfuscating the truth of the situation. But you get so agitated that people criticize Holden and your main contention is that, essentially, he's a 7th defenseman so we shouldn't expect defensive consistency (feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood). But the thing is he's the veteran presence on his pairing and a fixture in the lineup now. On good teams, the bottom pairing tends to be the lower minute stay at home defenders who draw easier matchups and are expected to not f*** up. That's not the story with our team. Holden averages almost 20 minutes a night and often gets matched against second and sometimes even first lines.

That's where my problem is. Either the team is stupid for trusting Holden to perfrom more than what he can handle, or he's not doing enough and not consistent enough in the role he's given or a bit of both. Whatever the case is, he is the or one of the two defensemen most likely to fail to cover, box out the crease, or effectively get the puck out of the zone. And sure, it's not like Merrill or Engo could do much better but there in lies the problem with the extension. The extension is essentially a vote of confidence for a guy that isn't much more consistent than the two guys riding the press box. And sure, you may well be right that next year we could acquire a proper number 6 through trade or free agency or Hague could step up after summer training and earn a consistent spot with Holden as the 7D.

The problem is that now, it's essentially a flip of a coin if Holden is gonna do something competent or stupid. When we get scored against I instinctively look to see who were the defenders on the ice and it's never surprising to see Holden out there, more often than not out of position or making a half assed attempt to poke the puck that doesn't work. And that presents a flaw in the machine. Not the only one, but it is one all the same.

Personally I forgive Whitecloud's mistakes cause it's growing pains, but off my own eye test he seems to possess better potential to stop an attacking forward through stick work and positioning than Holden in the long run. And whether he's better at that or not now is, again, a debate I'm not going to have but I'd bet my own balls that he'll be a far more reliable defensive presence by next season if not these upcoming playoffs than Holden. That's why it's easier to forgive the rookie with fewer than 15 games under his belt for mistakes over the veteran with nearly 500.

I often appreciate how fair you try to be but I never said he was a (normal) 7D now, I said that next season if he gets passed by a rookie then he could be "a good 7D to have." He would be a good asset there because he can be a good 6D.

Whitecloud has his best play in tandem with Holden. When Holden shepherds a forward to the corner and Whitecloud gets the puck out of the zone. Playing to their strengths.

Those defensive analytics also said Holden was as good defensively as Schmidt and McNabb for a run of a few months while Schmidt was struggling in his own end. Again, small sample size with Schmidt struggling and playing with Theodore but his overall play this season has been useful. That's all you need or ever get no matter what team you are from that part of your team.

You should check the Holden thread for more defenders of him. At least three posts on the last page or two alone.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Uh. I mean I can buy it's good to invest in depth but I really don't think, even putting my issues with the guy aside...even imagining he could play his best every night I don't think that was a move that deserves this level of clapping our management on the back.

Also it's not a question of how much younger Whitecloud is it's a matter of comparative experience. I don't think when two guys are, to put it generously, making an equivalent amount of mistakes that it's in the same bubble when one guy has played 13 games and the other has played 493. Holden has 38 games played for every 1 Whitecloud has. That's almost half a season's worth of experience relative to each single game Whitecloud has played. The expectation of a long time veteran is not the same as that of a fresh faced rookie. Rookies are expected to make mistakes. A player with half a thousand games doesn't have as much room to grow and when said player is unreliable, it's more frustrating. Sure both are impacting the individual games negatively (the relative and comparative degree of which I still contest, but I'm not getting into that argument) but it's easier to understand with a rookie because barring a few exceptions no rookie defensemen are reliable at a veteran level in their own zone in their first 40 games. Holden is well past that grace period. It really doesn't make sense to me that you seem to find that concept so baffling. I mean where were you when we were all criticizing Eakin? I don't seem to recall you coming here with "Oh but Cody Glass isn't scoring either so maybe we shouldn't be so critical."

I can't understand how you don't understand that 5-6D play this way around the league and that's the reason they are where they are. You're yelling at an issue every team has, their non top four defensemen making errors more than their others, regardless of their age. And it goes beyond that to deny or forget the months of solid play from Holden before this recent stretch.

I was never overly critical of Eakin and I did take a patient approach with him. And he was demonstrably worse for the team than Holden. Holden based been a net positive so I don't think Eakin is a good example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad