GDT: Game 69 (nice) | CBJ @ Vegas | 4 PM EST

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Experimenting with Laine at center makes sense to me. Might be better there. The faceoffs can come later.

How does he look?
Also interested in folks' opinions. I've seen the 2nd and 3rd periods and he's looked... okay? He's been there defensively. Got a takeaway in the d zone in the 2nd. Was involved in the 6-1 goal (or whichever the wraparound attempt was), looked like it was his stick that touched the puck last but it was the Vegas player who hit his stick. So he was "around" in the d zone if we look at it positively. Offensively the line has been okay, especially in the 2nd they had some moments. Not so much in the 3rd now...

Other than that I can't really say. I'm too much of a puck watcher. :D

7-2 Foudy jams it in. There's that stat padding. Laine with a soft wrister from the blue line, hits somebody (edit: Berni's first assist! looks to be Marchenko in the end) and Foudy puts it in behind Patera.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
With these goalies there are plenty to go around. :nod:

-----------

I can't watch today.

Experimenting with Laine at center makes sense to me. Might be better there. The faceoffs can come later.

How does he look?
Not outstanding in any way, but surprisingly decent. Expected a lot less considering it's against Vegas. Obviously you can see he has to think a lot about his defensive positioning, but still 0+2, +1 and pretty sure his lines have outchanced the opponents.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Foudy scores and Rims doesn’t say anything about his speed. I’m starting to get concerned but then he reminds us that it’s his 5th NHL goal but that he has a goal in the playoffs so all is well.

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
It's a good note that Foudy now has 5 goals when it was just some weeks ago that we were joking about his zero goals. I rather Foudy go on a meaningless scoring spree over Roslovic.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Statler & Waldorf - This Game.jpg

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not outstanding in any way, but surprisingly decent. Expected a lot less considering it's against Vegas. Obviously you can see he has to think a lot about his defensive positioning, but still 0+2, +1 and pretty sure his lines have outchanced the opponents.
For his first time playing center, it was great. Obviously he needs to work on transitioning to OZ. I thought he played very well without the puck, but I could be wrong, I didn't see part of the second and third periods.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I dont know that the Laine expirement at center has as much longterm upside Johnson at center does but the fact he stood out in a good way in a 7-2 loss should say a lot. Its rough for any player when you feel like any mistake is going to end up in your own net but he did a very solid job all things considered.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
6-1 Vegas. Wraparound that ends up in the net after a bit of a scramble. Kinda unfortunate even. Lol might be Laine's stick that is pushed to make it go in.

We get a PP. Not a bad try from the Johnson-Silly PP, some crisp passing and a rebound opportunity.
I thought they were playing pretty well 1-1 when I left the house 5-1 by the time I returned. Tarasov played well early

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I dont know that the Laine expirement at center has as much longterm upside Johnson at center does but the fact he stood out in a good way in a 7-2 loss should say a lot. Its rough for any player when you feel like any mistake is going to end up in your own net but he did a very solid job all things considered.
I think the biggest advantage would be that it would allow KJ to find his NHL offensive touch as winger and then transition to center later. You could run Laine - Bedard/Fantilli - Jenner - Kuraly down middle next year, which would also put Jenner to his ideal position

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Damn I would've loved to see this one :) Score seems ugly but I guess Laine did ok. If you gonna experiment, now is the perfect time and could come in handy down the line at some point if you can play him as a center in a pinch when struggling with injuries or something.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's a good note that Foudy now has 5 goals when it was just some weeks ago that we were joking about his zero goals. I rather Foudy go on a meaningless scoring spree over Roslovic.
I wouldn't, we know Ros is going to disappear after finishing the pointless games strong. Foudy is still young enough that if he can consistently stay in the lineup he could solidify a bottom 6 role for himself.

If there was ever a time to give him a chance to play a different position, this was certainly it. I wouldn't mind giving him the rest of the season to get as many reps in as possible taking facing and getting into the habit of dealing with his new responsibilities. He's gotta go through it enough to turn that thinking into reflex

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
View attachment 672185
Nice atmosphere inside and outside of the arena. Saw Jarmo out on the plaza before going in. Fun trip win or lose. The shiny Vegas helmets look better live.

Edit: love how they put the dancing girls in the visitors end for distraction.
I saw Vegas play Edmonton in January out there. I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed the showgirls pounding on the glass. Only in Vegas.

I'll also note that I couldn't believe how stoic the Oilers were toward the "friendly" Vegas girls. Very disappointing. lol

Reactions: Monstershockey

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’m nearly speechless.

Maybe we can petition the league to issue the CBJ team points based upon Laine’s corsi or heat charts after the game….

They’d be a playoff lock if so.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Didn't watch, was at NWA watching more basketball. How did Laine look at center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad