GDT: Game 69: Coyotes @ Oilers - 8PM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Todd with the definition of insanity, players doing the same things, dumb plays, 4-0 loss. The Oilers need major player changes to fix their culture. I expect the off season will be very busy for them. I could see Yak/RNH/Eberle all gone.

Yeah, something has to happen. I would start with Hall. That would give them the biggest wake up call and the most return.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree and think the rebuild is going well. Strome would have been a number 1 in many other draft years, glad we have him. Even if we intentionally tanked, which we won't, it would not guarantee us anything. Keep building with Youth and sign vets like Vermette/Doan/Z/Alex T, to relatively cheap, short term deals. The cost won't kill us and the experience helps the team and the young guys.

I think we are done attempting to sign the John Scott/Downie/Moss types of players. I think Plotnikov/Sakac/Tik/Chip are all likely gone next year. Our centers are the best in the NHL on the dot, would like to keep them all, can never have too many, plus they can play wing. It will take pressure off of Strome and Dvorak assuming he makes the team.

We will have to pay to get Yandle and Shattenkirk or similar players to complete our top 4D. This is where we should spend the money if the right players/deals are available. I think Kconn has earned a job now as an LHD behind OEL and hopefully Yandle. I would love to see:

OEL/Shatty
Yandle/Stone or Murphy(I think one will go in a trade for #1RHD)
Kconn/Z or who ever

That would make us a very good team next year assuming Smith/LD can play decent in net.

Your dreaming if you think we will get Yandle AND Shatty.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What he basically said is that he was out-coached. Take that DT haters. ;)

I took it as the Coyotes players listen to their coach and were the smarter team. Either way, it shows respect for the Coyotes players and coaches.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, I guess I should have used blue-colored font :) but it would help them defensively (if we retained some of Michalek's contract, they'd free up about 2 million).

We'd get the #1 RW that we desperately need (aside from defensive upgrades) and significantly help us get to the cap minimum. Domi - Strome - Eberle looks good to me (in a few seasons)

I'd take RNH instead of Eberle if they'd prefer, although his contract is a bit long for my taste

We don't need a 6 million dollar winger, we have plenty in the pipe for less money and on the team. Wingers are the easiest to replace anyway. RNH is interesting, but I had rather have Hanzal because he is better on D even though he has injury risk. If we make a major trade it needs to be for an RHD better then Stone/Murphy or an LHD like Yandle or similar level.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Your dreaming if you think we will get Yandle AND Shatty.

We can sign Yandle as a UFA, so if he wants to come here and DM wants him, and we can afford him, I think it is possible. I don't think this is completely out of the question.

Shatty or somebody similar, will cost us in my opinion Stone or Murphy plus other assets. The plus other assets might be too expensive. There will be a bidding war for Shatty/Hamonic or any other RHD at that level. We, along with other teams are in desperate need of an upgraded RHD. I think Yandle and Shatty or somebody similar is possible.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yeah, something has to happen. I would start with Hall. That would give them the biggest wake up call and the most return.

It depends on which players want to be there and which ones are listening to the coach and playing hard. Todd will know this by now and will have Chirelli jettison the malcontents. Hall/Yak/RNH/Eberle are all candidates and they can get good value back for all of them.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We have a lot of cap/floor space to fill this summer. I don't think two major additions on D is out of the question.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have a lot of cap/floor space to fill this summer. I don't think two major additions on D is out of the question.

Yeah, maybe. I guess time will tell, but we do have to upgrade our D. I think realistically we add one.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We don't need a 6 million dollar winger, we have plenty in the pipe for less money and on the team. Wingers are the easiest to replace anyway. RNH is interesting, but I had rather have Hanzal because he is better on D even though he has injury risk. If we make a major trade it needs to be for an RHD better then Stone/Murphy or an LHD like Yandle or similar level.

What RHS Wingers do we have in the pipeline that can slot into the first line within the next two-three seasons and actually score? Eberle's contract expires in 3 years, and I think he would do better here in a more "team-centered" club. Sure, he's a bit pricey, but we'll need to get to the minimum somehow and he'd get us through the rest of the rebuild.

RNH is intriguing, but his contract goes through 2021 and there are possible oft-injury concerns with him. Of course if we moved Hanzal, we'd have a serious gap for our 1st line center (although I see Hanzal as more of a 2nd liner). Of course I'd be happy to take Draisatl or McDavid off their hands instead of Eberle

I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Yakupov (if they'd take Michalek in return), if only to torque Tippett off having Duclair and Yakupov as our top 2 RWs

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd do something based around Hanzal, H.Sam for RNH and Yakupov, with whatever is needed to balance it out on either side (assuming minor pieces). Edmonton probably loves ex Oil Kings, and Hanzal is the ideal player to play behind McDavid and Draisaitl.

Yakupov would instantly become the ultimate test of Tippett. Think of the theater and arguments. Is there enough popcorn on this earth?

Realistically, having RNH as your 1C makes Strome and Dvorak's transition easier. If you rehab RNH's game, you can flip him for something nice when it's time to re-sign the others.

H.Sam and whatever for Yak is basically just an upside gamble, no worse than Drouin. A lot cheaper bet to place.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What RHS Wingers do we have in the pipeline that can slot into the first line within the next two-three seasons and actually score? Eberle's contract expires in 3 years, and I think he would do better here in a more "team-centered" club. Sure, he's a bit pricey, but we'll need to get to the minimum somehow and he'd get us through the rest of the rebuild.

RNH is intriguing, but his contract goes through 2021 and there are possible oft-injury concerns with him. Of course if we moved Hanzal, we'd have a serious gap for our 1st line center (although I see Hanzal as more of a 2nd liner). Of course I'd be happy to take Draisatl or McDavid off their hands instead of Eberle

I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Yakupov (if they'd take Michalek in return), if only to torque Tippett off having Duclair and Yakupov as our top 2 RWs

I see your point on an RHS winger. If we spend 6 mill on a player, I think it needs to be a 2D and or a 3D, those are our biggest needs. If we spend money on D as we should, we won't have money left to afford Eberle, assuming we sign our important RFA's Stone/Murphy/Reider/LD. We can cut and paste an RHS as needed. Wingers are the least important position.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I see your point on an RHS winger. If we spend 6 mill on a player, I think it needs to be a 2D and or a 3D, those are our biggest needs. If we spend money on D as we should, we won't have money left to afford Eberle, assuming we sign our important RFA's Stone/Murphy/Reider/LD. We can cut and paste an RHS as needed. Wingers are the least important position.

I'd prefer not to sign another D-man for more than what OEL makes. My view would be a 5-6 million forward, a 4-5 million RHD (probably acquired via trade although there aren't many out there), and a 3-4 million 2nd line LD.

Priority is the 1st line RHD, but if we can't acquire one, I'll take a pricey winger.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd prefer not to sign another D-man for more than what OEL makes. My view would be a 5-6 million forward, a 4-5 million RHD (probably acquired via trade although there aren't many out there), and a 3-4 million 2nd line LD.

Priority is the 1st line RHD, but if we can't acquire one, I'll take a pricey winger.

Let's see how the year plays out. Tanguay maybe can be had at a good price. Every time a poster talks pricey I get nervous.:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012

If I have 12-15 million to spend, I would spend 10-12 million on an RHD and LHD we covet. I would spend the balance on Tanguay or Verby and an ELC. We need D way more then scoring wingers.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
H.Sam and whatever for Yak is basically just an upside gamble, no worse than Drouin. A lot cheaper bet to place.

I disagree (respectfully). Yak has a track record of failure to date. Drouin pulled a stunt to try to get traded to where he will be given ice time. I think that the relative risks favor trading for Drouin.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'd have almost zero interest in Nail Yakupov.

I'm not a big fan either, but if we could get him cheap, I'd put up with him for a year. I think he really needs a change of scenery (like most of the Oilers) and he might do well for us. If necessary, we could move Duclair or Rieder back to the left (it's not like Tippett will play him with Domi or anything):

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair/Yakupov
Rieder/Duclair - Strome - Yakupov/Rieder
Dvorak/Martinook - Richardson - Doan
Martinook/Dvorak - Vermette - H. Samuelsson

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm not a big fan either, but if we could get him cheap, I'd put up with him for a year. I think he really needs a change of scenery (like most of the Oilers) and he might do well for us. If necessary, we could move Duclair or Rieder back to the left (it's not like Tippett will play him with Domi or anything):

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair/Yakupov
Rieder/Duclair - Strome - Yakupov/Rieder
Dvorak/Martinook - Richardson - Doan
Martinook/Dvorak - Vermette - H. Samuelsson

Put Yak, Tik and Plotnikov together then we could have and Iron Curtain line to go with the French Connection.

;)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Put Yak, Tik and Plotnikov together then we could have and Iron Curtain line to go with the French Connection.

;)

If Tip started putting lines together based on language/nationality, then I would support his firing...unless it worked of course ;)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'd say this is a pretty standard rebuild. We certainly haven't half-assed it like some other teams, like a bad Toronto team flipping multiple picks for Kessel, or rushed it like the Gretzky Era Coyotes.

As for Eichel, obviously he's a great player, and as much as it sucked to lose the lotto, we still got an exceptional prospect in Strome. He was the BPA and a No. 1 center available after two elite/generational/franchise players. This franchise got the No. 1 center that has eluded it for years. In any other year, Strome is a 1st overall pick.

Strome would certainly go #1 other drafts but he's still at the prospect level and could still turnout to be a bust or could surprise us all and could be just like Eichel or better. Need to have some kind of backup in place in case Strome doesn't workout.

Calgary has learned a hard lesson with making the playoffs last season and won't make the playoffs this season. That lesson is: 1st you crawl, then you walk, the you run. the franchise needs to learn that you don't run when your legs aren't fully developed to run.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Strome would certainly go #1 other drafts but he's still at the prospect level and could still turnout to be a bust or could surprise us all and could be just like Eichel or better. Need to have some kind of backup in place in case Strome doesn't workout.

May I introduce you to Christian Dvorak...? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad