GDT: Game 69: Coyotes @ Oilers - 8PM

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Make a choice! Do you want to see a proper rebuild now so we can have a championship team in the future for the long term? Or do you want mediocrity or some other team that's just going to delay the proper rebuild from taking place?

I say do the rebuild right so we don't have to go through another rebuild in the next 3-5 years.

I'd say this is a pretty standard rebuild. We certainly haven't half-assed it like some other teams, like a bad Toronto team flipping multiple picks for Kessel, or rushed it like the Gretzky Era Coyotes.

As for Eichel, obviously he's a great player, and as much as it sucked to lose the lotto, we still got an exceptional prospect in Strome. He was the BPA and a No. 1 center available after two elite/generational/franchise players. This franchise got the No. 1 center that has eluded it for years. In any other year, Strome is a 1st overall pick.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Inigo%252BMontoya%252Bfrom%252BThe%252BPrincess%252BBride%252B_5eb38f6e2f66bcfb3c178e52e0882339.jpg

And yet again you show ignorance, as its a phrase.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'd say this is a pretty standard rebuild. We certainly haven't half-assed it like some other teams, like a bad Toronto team flipping multiple picks for Kessel, or rushed it like the Gretzky Era Coyotes.

As for Eichel, obviously he's a great player, and as much as it sucked to lose the lotto, we still got an exceptional prospect in Strome. He was the BPA and a No. 1 center available after two elite/generational/franchise players. This franchise got the No. 1 center that has eluded it for years. In any other year, Strome is a 1st overall pick.

I agree and think the rebuild is going well. Strome would have been a number 1 in many other draft years, glad we have him. Even if we intentionally tanked, which we won't, it would not guarantee us anything. Keep building with Youth and sign vets like Vermette/Doan/Z/Alex T, to relatively cheap, short term deals. The cost won't kill us and the experience helps the team and the young guys.

I think we are done attempting to sign the John Scott/Downie/Moss types of players. I think Plotnikov/Sakac/Tik/Chip are all likely gone next year. Our centers are the best in the NHL on the dot, would like to keep them all, can never have too many, plus they can play wing. It will take pressure off of Strome and Dvorak assuming he makes the team.

We will have to pay to get Yandle and Shattenkirk or similar players to complete our top 4D. This is where we should spend the money if the right players/deals are available. I think Kconn has earned a job now as an LHD behind OEL and hopefully Yandle. I would love to see:

OEL/Shatty
Yandle/Stone or Murphy(I think one will go in a trade for #1RHD)
Kconn/Z or who ever

That would make us a very good team next year assuming Smith/LD can play decent in net.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we want to draft in top 5 we have to win a lottery. That's it.

Dropping a slot decreases odds by about half of one percent. Let's not lose sleep over it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Todd with the definition of insanity, players doing the same things, dumb plays, 4-0 loss. The Oilers need major player changes to fix their culture. I expect the off season will be very busy for them. I could see Yak/RNH/Eberle all gone.

I don't know that the Oilers fans did to offend, but its pretty clear that they are on a 40 year wander through the hockey Sinai. Not one person who rooted for the Oilers in their last playoff run seems destined to see them in the playoffs again.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Todd with the definition of insanity, players doing the same things, dumb plays, 4-0 loss. The Oilers need major player changes to fix their culture. I expect the off season will be very busy for them. I could see Yak/RNH/Eberle all gone.

Edmonton ñeeds a guy like Joe Thornton or someone along those lines. A big veteran forward with plenty of offensive capabilty but knows how to play the 200' game and show the kids how it's done.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I'll take Eberle for a Hanzal and Michalek :nod:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What he basically said is that he was out-coached. Take that DT haters. ;)

Edmonton just needs to completely reset. Make three or four huge blockbuster trades and start completely over again. Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov should all go in separate, lateral moves. They just need new faces at this point.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Edmonton just needs to completely reset. Make three or four huge blockbuster trades and start completely over again. Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov should all go in separate, lateral moves. They just need new faces at this point.

Agree with the reset concept, but I would keep Hall, unless someone offered a return too good to pass up.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
... terrible.

Well, I guess I should have used blue-colored font :) but it would help them defensively (if we retained some of Michalek's contract, they'd free up about 2 million).

We'd get the #1 RW that we desperately need (aside from defensive upgrades) and significantly help us get to the cap minimum. Domi - Strome - Eberle looks good to me (in a few seasons)

I'd take RNH instead of Eberle if they'd prefer, although his contract is a bit long for my taste

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't want any part of Eberle at $6M. You thought Boedker was streaky and a floater this year? Get ready to see streaky disinterest 60 games a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad