GDT: Game 69: Coyotes @ Oilers - 8PM

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I've heard the strome is a number one is any other year thing before, and don't get it. I love strome, but really how many years would he have gone first recently? You could argue yak, but at the time he was pretty hyped wasn't he?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I've heard the strome is a number one is any other year thing before, and don't get it. I love strome, but really how many years would he have gone first recently? You could argue yak, but at the time he was pretty hyped wasn't he?

If you ask me, Strome would have been #1 or at least in the conversation for it in every draft from 2010 to 2014. I don't trust myself to make comparisons going back beyond that because of how those 1OA have panned out in the league.

There is the obvious caveat that we can't really know where some of the Oilers #1 players could have ended up in prominence had they not been ruined by the meat shredder in Edmonton, but again, that's all part of the career of a hockey player. It may end up that Strome falters as badly as Perlini or Boedker in the future. But 2015 was a freak year for top prospects, for sure.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If you ask me, Strome would have been #1 or at least in the conversation for it in every draft from 2010 to 2014. I don't trust myself to make comparisons going back beyond that because of how those 1OA have panned out in the league.

There is the obvious caveat that we can't really know where some of the Oilers #1 players could have ended up in prominence had they not been ruined by the meat shredder in Edmonton, but again, that's all part of the career of a hockey player. It may end up that Strome falters as badly as Perlini or Boedker in the future. But 2015 was a freak year for top prospects, for sure.
Looking at the players they are now, strome over nail and rnh seem pretty likely, but weren't both pretty hyped their draft year? Hall and Mack I'm not sure about, plus hall's year I think seguin was in contention for 1oa too wasn't he? Anyone who followed the draft closely then want to chime in?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
All of the players you listed had more hype than Strome. Taylor versus Tyler was a coin toss for many. Most ecpected Taylor to go first. Few were surprised when he did. The controversy was more marketing than anything.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
All of the players you listed had more hype than Strome. Taylor versus Tyler was a coin toss for many. Most ecpected Taylor to go first. Few were surprised when he did. The controversy was more marketing than anything.

There wasn't much doubt in the yak and rnh years?

I don't want it to sound like I'm under rating strome, I really like him as a prospect, I just hear the he'd go first overall in another draft line about a lot of players. I get it for Eichel, but I see it said about strome and sometimes for marner too. I have a hard time believing either would go before any of 1st picks for the last decade plus. Again not saying they can't be better than some of them (yak and rnh especially), just based off of draft hype.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There wasn't much doubt in the yak and rnh years?

I don't want it to sound like I'm under rating strome, I really like him as a prospect, I just hear the he'd go first overall in another draft line about a lot of players. I get it for Eichel, but I see it said about strome and sometimes for marner too. I have a hard time believing either would go before any of 1st picks for the last decade plus. Again not saying they can't be better than some of them (yak and rnh especially), just based off of draft hype.

It's a fair concern, and honestly the whole idea of hyping any young player is so dumb if you think about it because of the reverse Jenga tower that is a hockey player's career. For every sure-bet McDavid there is a Daigle, and even with that aside so much can happen to a prospect after the draft that assessing a draft's success is only possible via hindsight (again, I present to you Christian Dvorak... :D).

That said, I stand by my opinion not because of Strome's talent per se but because of his intelligence. I think he was the smartest player in last year's draft and possesses the most hockey sense, and that counts for a lot with me.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
All of the players you listed had more hype than Strome.

Hard to have hype when McDavid and Eichel are in front of you. In the case of McDavid that works on a couple levels since they played on the same team. Even Hanifin had more hype.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's a fair concern, and honestly the whole idea of hyping any young player is so dumb if you think about it because of the reverse Jenga tower that is a hockey player's career. For every sure-bet McDavid there is a Daigle, and even with that aside so much can happen to a prospect after the draft that assessing a draft's success is only possible via hindsight (again, I present to you Christian Dvorak... :D).

That said, I stand by my opinion not because of Strome's talent per se but because of his intelligence. I think he was the smartest player in last year's draft and possesses the most hockey sense, and that counts for a lot with me.

I love strome's game, I just think the he'd be number one in any other year statement isn't true. I'm not sure he's smarter than mcdavid, but he may be. I definitely agree the hyping is dumb, and really the answer to it strome would go 1 other years isn't important, but it's something else to discuss other than tip or maloney.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I love strome's game, I just think the he'd be number one in any other year statement isn't true. I'm not sure he's smarter than mcdavid, but he may be. It's super obvious when he's forechecking, he knows exactly what they're doing and gets right in their passing lane.

I definitely agree the hyping is dumb, and really the answer to if strome would go 1 other years isn't important, but it's something else to discuss other than tip or maloney.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
For what it's worth, both TSN and Sportsnet scouting panels listed him as "the smartest player in the Draft" during their rundowns prior to the actual Draft.

Sorry for the double post, my connection dropped and I didn't think it posted. I added some more to it, so eh.

That's pretty high praise, he very well could be. He doesn't have near the physical gifts mcdavid or Eichel have, but he is always in the right place, it's uncanny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad