Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-3-7_1-32-11.png

upload_2020-3-7_1-33-44.png

The two top teams in the Eastern Conference renew acquaintances for the second time in five days as the Boston Bruins host the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday night.

The Bruins and Lightning met Tuesday in Tampa Bay, with Boston eking out a 2-1 victory. A regulation Bruins win Saturday would give them an 11-point lead as the top seed in the Eastern Conference with 13 games remaining on their schedule.

The Bruins enter having won four straight and 15 of their last 18. Boston is 22-3-9 at home this season.
The Lightning have lost five of seven since an 11-game winning streak that ended last month. Tampa Bay is 20-10-3 on the road.

Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk scored, and Tuukka Rask stopped 20 of 21 shots in the Bruins' victory Tuesday. Mitchell Stephens scored to get the Lightning on the board with 2:32 remaining in the contest, but it was too little, too late.

"They play hard, they play a really good defensive game, and that's why they are one of the top teams in the league," Stephens said. "We have a good team in this locker room and we just need to regroup."

Regroup they did, as the Lightning decisively defeated the Montreal Canadiens 4-0 on Thursday in the conclusion of a five-game homestand. Defenseman Victor Hedman scored twice, Nikita Kucherov had a goal and an assist and Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped all 32 shots he faced for his third shutout of the season.

"We still didn't play well defensively, gave up some odd-mans, but we capitalized on our chances and didn't let them score, so that's huge," said Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev. "Vasy was just a rock behind us."
Vasilevskiy had 33 saves in the loss to the Bruins this week. He has started nine of Tampa Bay's last 11 games.

Kucherov has 33 points (15 goals, 18 assists) in his last 21 games, his only time being held off the scoresheet in that span coming Tuesday against Boston.

Marchand is similarly rolling for the Bruins as he enters Saturday on an 11-game points streak (five goals, 11 assists). He picked up an assist on a second-period strike from Patrice Bergeron -- the center's 30th goal of the season -- as Boston edged the host Florida Panthers 2-1 in overtime Thursday.

Defenseman Torey Krug scored the deciding goal at 4:08 of overtime.

"He's obviously a huge part of our offense," Marchand said of Krug. "He just puts himself in good positions to get shots on net and makes things happen back there."

Defenseman Brandon Carlo took an elbow to the face during the second period of the contest and did not return. Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy indicated Carlo would be checked for a concussion.

With Jaroslav Halak in net against the Panthers, the Bruins are likely to turn to Rask at home Saturday, where he is 14-1-6 on the season.

Despite losing last time out, the Lightning have won two of their three meetings with the Bruins this season -- 4-3 in a shootout Oct. 17 and 3-2 in regulation Dec. 12. Saturday concludes the four-game series between the Atlantic Division rivals.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
One thing I feel the league has done well this season with the schedule is get a couple more of these home and home fixtures in, where two opponents with at least something of a rivalry playing each other twice within the space of a week. Let's some emotion, continuity and feistiness build in the contests, and that should be the case here too.

One thing I'll be keeping an eye on in this game is the Bruins PP, should they get any opportunities to go to work. They got smashed by Tampa's PK units on Tuesday, and while they got one PPG against the Panthers, they went 1/5 and were again far from convincing. So I'll be interested to see if they've tinkered with it and found a way to make it more effective against a top defense.

Should be a great game. Beat 'em again Bruins!!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A Bruins win tonight and they pretty much lock up the Atlantic Division title which I will admit I never expected as I thought they would be sluggish out of the gate after how last year finished.

I am very happy that I was wrong ;)

I thought they'd start hot just to prove a point that they're still a force to be reckoned with, but they maintained that initial run for longer than I expected, and even though the inevitable slump carried on for awhile, it's probably also been surprising how no other team in the Division was able to really pressure them in the standings during it, and how well they've picked it back up and dominated since the break. Really impressive, and definitely a class above at least anyone else in the East this season, even the Caps.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I thought they'd start hot just to prove a point that they're still a force to be reckoned with, but they maintained that initial run for longer than I expected, and even though the inevitable slump carried on for awhile, it's probably also been surprising how no other team in the Division was able to really pressure them in the standings during it, and how well they've picked it back up and dominated since the break. Really impressive, and definitely a class above at least anyone else in the East this season, even the Caps.

Big game next week in South Philly as the Flyers are peaking at the right time.

The Bruins video guys are frazzled right now as the last 2 years they knew with a month to go that Toronto was the likely matchup in the first round but right now it is impossible to focus on anyone.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hope that Carlo is better and not concussed but it feels like he may be. Even if he isn't concussed I hope that he and a few others get some time off to rest up before the reas season starts.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am anxious to hear about Carlo, we really need him come playoff time. It would be nice to have a healthy team for a change.

A win would be great but as others have said, no injuries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany