GDT: Game 68: Coyotes @ Avalanche | March 7th, 7PM MT/4AM Finnish | Shock the World

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Glad to see we got the win. Saw the last 4-5 minutes at a bar looked a little desperate, but I have to admit I did not watch very closely.

37 saves for Varly looks good on paper and it sounds like he really had a sharp game. That's super important going forward. We need the Varly from two years ago if we want to make this run here.

On to Wednesday.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just watched the Anaheim game. We're going to have to play damn near perfect on Wednesday...

They had won 11 straight, and finally lost a tough one in the SO against the best team in the league. A game they probably got pretty up for to test themselves. Now they got to go on the road against a playoff bubble team.

There's a decent chance they have a bit of an emotional letdown that the Avs can hopefully take advantage of on Wednesday.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Damn it's true, Wild has easier schedule rest of the games. Now we really have to deserve our playoff spot. Haha. I would say it's a good thing. We will have tough games, but maybe boys will learn something from them and go on a awesome streak. Hope for the best.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Damn it's true, Wild has easier schedule rest of the games. Now we really have to deserve our playoff spot. Haha. I would say it's a good thing. We will have tough games, but maybe boys will learn something from them and go on a awesome streak. Hope for the best.

I'd rather face tougher teams at this time of the year. Historically it seems like the best teams tend to go easy on bubble teams (they have no real motivation to win) while non-playoff teams appear to find motivation into trying to spoil it for bubble teams.

But anyway..how many "easy" games have we lost this year? We nearly lost them all.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I thought Varly played well, but I don't see how this game is supposed to rejuvenate my confidence level. Picks could have won the game. Heck, I think Berra would have won this one.

Let me see this Varly reborn against the Ducks, or even the Jets, and then I'll be on the - Varly will be the one to carry us to the promised land - bus.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I thought Varly played well, but I don't see how this game is supposed to rejuvenate my confidence level. Picks could have won the game. Heck, I think Berra would have won this one.

Let me see this Varly reborn against the Ducks, or even the Jets, and then I'll be on the - Varly will be the one to carry us to the promised land - bus.

Varly will or nobody will. Fingers crossed.

Roman Will.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'd rather face tougher teams at this time of the year. Historically it seems like the best teams tend to go easy on bubble teams (they have no real motivation to win) while non-playoff teams appear to find motivation into trying to spoil it for bubble teams.

But anyway..how many "easy" games have we lost this year? We nearly lost them all.

That's interesting logic. Maybe you're right.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I didn't read through this entire thread but did anybody else think last night was the best Nathan Mackinnon has ever looked? Like ever.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Huge win and I hope it's confidence boost for our guys. Next game against Ducks will be very difficult as they play great at the moment. We did lost against Chicago, Tampa, Nashville this season when they were on similar streak without regulation loss (or loss at all) for longer period of time. The thing is that if AVS want advance to the playoffs they need to win against the best and those on hot streaks. Hope they do.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I didn't read through this entire thread but did anybody else think last night was the best Nathan Mackinnon has ever looked? Like ever.

maybe this year but definitely not ever. His rookie year when he was playing with Landeskog+Stastny was his best IMO.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl

He was a beast last night, no doubt. I don't know if that was his best game of his young career, but for sure that was Nate I have been waiting for to see for a long time. Hope he continues that against Ducks but this time with some points on board.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
One thing in the Avs favor is that Minnesota is the only other team they're fighting with. All it takes is a key injury or some bad luck and Minnesota could go on a losing streak. The bad news is that the same thing can happen to the Avs. They need to not worry about other games and just bring their A game every night from here on out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
maybe this year but definitely not ever. His rookie year when he was playing with Landeskog+Stastny was his best IMO.

I mean the points came with his play in the 2014 playoffs when he was at his best but even then I didn't think he was THAT much better than everyone else on the ice. Mackinnon looked like he was in a league of his own last night. The way Mack and Boedker hit each other with the puck while at full speed is just scary. If Boedker adapts more to the North-South game that the Avs play the duo will be impossible to shut down.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

At the very least, this is the fastest he has looked since his rookie year. Glad to see his skating is back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Pretty close... he was dangerous every shift and should have had a couple points. He has been building to this for a few games and I think a good part of it is Boedker opens up some space for him.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009

Without Varlamov (elite level goaltending) there's zero chance of us making the playoffs. Pickard is great but I have far more confidence in the guy that's done it before in the NHL for a season and long stretches opposed to the guy who's looked great here and there.

Edit: Mackinnon and Duchene both looked great tonight and this doesn't happen enough. Both of these two need to keep'er going down the stretch.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I really liked watching Boedker out there. But I couldn't help but feel he would be a better part for Duchene than MacKinnon.

I wonder if they could bump Iggy up to a Landy/MacK line and then a Grigs/Duchy/Boeds line at some point. Roy won't change his lineup after a win, but I'd like to see that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I have no issue with Boedker-Mack. Plus I would be pissed with Roy doing anything to change what's working with Iggy right now. He's playing good hockey for us and his linemates are one of the main factors.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Boedker and MacK are looking great together.... why mess with that?

I haven't seen the click everyone else has. I know Boeds made a slick pass the other night, but more frequently they've been getting in each other's way. At least 2 or 3 times they skated into each other's paths and killed the play. They weren't really in position to work together well when in the zone, they had to use their skating/hands to get the puck to each other instead of just being in the right place.

It's not a big deal, Duchy's line is doing well for now. But I have a feeling Boeds would mesh better with Duchy than MacK. And I'd like to see Comeau jettisoned out of the top 6.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are going to be some teething issues, especially since Boedker is a wing that also likes the puck on his stick, but this is the first time in awhile I'd say that MacK has clicked with somebody from a pacing perspective. Boedker can stick with and play at MacK's pace... even Duchene had some issues with that (partially because of where Duchene wants to work in the offensive zone). Boedker and MacK like setting up plays in the same spots in the offensive zone. Most of all though, instead of team's defenses keying on MacK's speed and cheating both defensemen towards him causing him to button hook all the damn time... teams are now having to watch Boedker's speed and MacK has a bit more space to play with when setting up the play. Just watch how much less MacK is pulling up and how much more he is using his speed and strength. A big part of that is Boedker pulling off the cheating defenders.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wish MacKinnon would work on his shooting accuracy. He's throwing pucks at the net like crazy every night to not much effect. Either he should shoot high and work on picking the corners better (seems to be his M.O.) or maybe he should shoot low for a bit and aim for rebounds to bounce free. But right now most of his shots go high chest or glove on the tender and don't offer up much of a quality chance.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I really liked watching Boedker out there. But I couldn't help but feel he would be a better part for Duchene than MacKinnon.

I wonder if they could bump Iggy up to a Landy/MacK line and then a Grigs/Duchy/Boeds line at some point. Roy won't change his lineup after a win, but I'd like to see that.

I think the top 6 lines are determined by who's the best babysitter for Iginla. Hard to fit him in the 3rd/4th line powerhouse role but somewhat slow next to Mac and with Duchene they have some chemistry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad