GDT: Game 68: Coyotes @ Avalanche | March 7th, 7PM MT/4AM Finnish | Shock the World

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Not very optimistic as we've looked quite poor for a number of games now, but still hoping for the best.

Please... please... no puck watching in our zone. I don't care if we have to take 5 interference penalties as the pucks lays still in the middle of our zone. I just want people to stop puck watching and pick somebody up. So sick and tired of watching replays of the goals against us and seeing 2 or 3 Avs in front of the net always watching the puck and the previous puck carrier. I can't take it anymore. Pick up your man. Chain him at the hip if you have to, just stop being useless pylons.

Varly... we need you, man. Please be Steve Varmalov tonight.
I've also noticed the Avs are really bad at actually covering guys in their D-zone. They are in position but they don't actually cover a man and instead they get caught puck watching and the opponent gets shots off when they have no business doing so.

What's really odd is this is peewee hockey type of stuff. I'm not sure if this is an Avs coaching staff thing or if the Avs just have a bunch of guys that were never taught the proper way to defend their D-zone. Either way is a damn odd thing to keep seeing happen over and over again.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Put Comeau in the bottom six, give him 14 mins/gm, and play him on the PK and there would be no complaints. Well, other than him taking at least one dumb penalty every other game.

Him getting PP time over superior players is the most frustrating part of it. You can't even say it's because he'll go to the net since that's not how they're using him. They usually have him in that MacKinnon role where he's in the middle of the ice and supporting the player on the half-wall. He offers absolutely nothing on the PP while Soderberg, whose ability on the PP was talked up after he signed, sits on the bench and watches.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I wouldn't call it complaining about said player and more about where that player is in the lineup. The Landeskog-MacKinnon-Boedker line has looked good since Boedker arrived, I don't see a reason to change it. If you want to get Soderberg going, tinker with the Duchene line and blend the two together.

Actually, the easy change to me was to just put him on the PP instead of Comeau.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Was I the only one underwhelmed by the landy-mack-boedker line at ES? When you've got three of our top 5 forwards on the same line that has to be our go-to line. 92-29-89 were a good line, but like in the later days of the 9 line; when that much of our top forward talent is concentrated on a single line that line has to be more than just good.

Now I'm still rooting for Patrick to someday put Soda and Duchene on the same line; but letting Mack and Boedker keep developing their chemistry, while a Sodaskog reunion fires up that unit, isn't exactly out of left field.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Was I the only one underwhelmed by the landy-mack-boedker line at ES? When you've got three of our top 5 forwards on the same line that has to be our go-to line. 92-29-89 were a good line, but like in the later days of the 9 line; when that much of our top forward talent is concentrated on a single line that line has to be more than just good.

Yeah Bdker seems like the obvious candidate to play with Duchene. Duchene's wingers are both bad (well Grigo's fine but inefficient as a winger or a scorer considering Duchene is the best playmaker on the team right now). I thoguht that line was mediocre too and Duchene's line was all flash with no finish so they could use Bdker.

Also wouldn't mind Grigorenko going back to centre and Soderberg playing as centre on Duchene's line with Duchene back on wing for the time being. Soderberg's better than Grigorenko right now.

Parks

Dec 19, 2015
Colorado
So the team is struggling and Roy's idea to fix things is to break up the line with the most chemistry. I don't like this decision at all. Matthias/Soda/Comeau have played well together and Mackinnon's line was starting to look more comfortable. Leave it to Roy to constantly shuffle lines. Changing our forward lines isn't going to fix our real problem which is defense. Let's hope Gelinas has a better game than his first. I'd like to give him a fair chance before we all start dumping on the guy.

If Roy is going into shuffle mode again with the lines do we need to start an over/under for amount of different line combos tonight?

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Some day I'll understand why this fanbase obsesses with complaining about quality depth players.

You said it yourself. Depth players. They don't belong on the 1st line.

Nobody would be complaining if Comeau was playing on the 3rd line like he's supposed to.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
If Roy is going into shuffle mode again with the lines do we need to start an over/under for amount of different line combos tonight?

IF he's shuffling I'd like to see this at some point for our top six:

Grigorenko-Mackinnon-Boedker
Landeskog-Sodaberg-Duchene

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Now I'm still rooting for Patrick to someday put Soda and Duchene on the same line; but letting Mack and Boedker keep developing their chemistry, while a Sodaskog reunion fires up that unit, isn't exactly out of left field.

Put the three best forwards on the same line, fill in the rest after that.

Duchene-MacKinnon-Landeskog. Damn the torpedoes, playoffs or bust.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
fair warning: NBCSN game, I got really confused when altitude had soccer

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Mike Chambers ‏@MikeChambers · 26s26 seconds ago
Chris Bigras has "head" issues, headache or something that has the #Avs concerned. He will not play tonight.

Dear god...please let it just be a precautionary measure. So, Bodnarchuk will live to see the ice again.

[EDIT]

Oh, we have a surprise, it's actually Redmond drawing back in...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad