GDT: Game 66: Red Wings vs sabres 12:30 pm et 3/16/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
It blows my mind that people expect anything different from the post game press conferences. It's not his job to give you an accurate or honest assessment of the team. To expect that is ridiculous.

"Honestly, the team is pretty shitty. I mean, I have no idea what I'm doing or what I can do to get these guys motivated. But look what I have to deal with here. Ghost is awful, Chiarot is a headcase. Mo is barely present in practice. These guys aren't committed to preparation. And then there's Larkin telling the guys to second guess everything the coaches say. I can't actually believe we won as many games as we did considering how terrible our players are."

I mean, you'd make headlines....
This would certainly get Torts to bend the knee…

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"Usually you put wings in buffalo sauce and eat them, maybe for lunch. Lately, every team the Red Wings have faced - including the Buffalo Sabres - has indeed eaten them for lunch. Today at lunchtime, Detroit fans and players alike are going to be hoping for a saucy win, because getting served 8 times in a row is not a 5-star recipe."

- Plausible Keats

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I don't even know what to say at this point. Please win? Pretty please?

I have a feeling though they'll end up like I do after trying to eat too many buffalo wings. Shitting orange with a bad case of hot hole.

Which is fitting for the dumpster fire this team has been. They should feel the burn.

D like a hole!
Black as your soul!
I'd rather pinch!
And give you control!

"We're 9 Inch Keats! Thank you, good night!"

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If they don’t win this game and look lethargic again, there needs to be a serious conversation about firing Lalonde.

Especially if he does his usual postgame garbage of “our winning wasn’t sustainable” and “well nobody had us in the playoffs before the season” shtick.

Honestly I'm on board with this. I don't really care about his post-game comments, those are usually given with PR considerations. I'm more concerned with how the team has looked on the ice. They're playing like how the NBA players in Space Jam played when the Monstars stole their mojo, like they lost their ability to play as pros. Just total amateur hour. Low effort and urgency, poor passing, poor goaltending, etc.

This team has looked completely lost, rudderless, disinterested, and lethargic without Larkin. That shows just how important he is to this team, but it's also showing that Lalonde may not be up to the task of motivating the team to play in the absence of the captain. We're getting great leadership from the captain, but the coach not so much. So what value is he providing, exactly? He seemingly can't even extract urgency from the team when their playoff hopes are rapidly fading, that's inexcusable.

If we lose 2 or more of the next 3 games where Larkin is anticipated to be out, just fire Lalonde and make Larkin the player/coach for the rest of the season. I jest about that last part obviously, but if they do lose the next few games he should be gone. He seems to be well-liked by the players personally, so if it lights a fire under them because they feel guilty that their terrible low-effort, low-desire play lost their coach his job, then GOOD, they should feel bad. They've let their captain down, they've let their team down, they've let their fans down, and hopefully they've let themselves down.

Any player that doesn't voice some very sincere disappointment/anger about their play in December and March in their exit interviews should be shipped out this offseason. If the Wings are going to be a contender they need players who are going to bring it from October to April (plus however far they get in the playoffs). I have no desire to have players who take a month off here and there.

I feel like Tortorella would have been a good coach. He's passionate, maybe a little too much sometimes, but he gets results. And he doesn't tolerate players not giving full effort on both ends of the ice. You can bet your ass this team wouldn't have looked the way it did in December and now March with Torts at the helm, he does not suffer these types of performances without consequence. They would have been bag skating at every single practice and he's not afraid to healthy scratch anyone for poor play no matter how high-profile the player. After Blashill and now Lalonde, two 'player-friendly' coaches with low emotion and a softer touch, I think this team needs a hard-ass who will light a fire under them. Are they here to have a pleasant time, or do they want to do what it takes to win?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
OK, I'm playing some Railway Empire and listening to Whole Lotta Rosie. So I'M up for the game. Will they be?

Stay classy, ESPN+. Yaaarrggghhh!!!!

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Won't be able to catch this one due to work. But need to win this one. Everyone needs to come out of their shell except Raymond. He's been the only one who looks like he gives a shit.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Will be stress eating after the 1st period regardless - Any food recommendations?

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Will be stress eating after the 1st period regardless - Any food recommendations?
Yeah. Something along these lines...
1710607155268.jpeg

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Be more physical please

At least the Wings aren't down early. Hopefully next season we don't see a #8 and #46 pairing. Too slow. Stevie, get more speed throughout your lineup!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I know theyve been cold, but Cat and Kane should at least be on the PP together, try to rekindle some of that Chicago magic.

PP needs to be better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad