Post-Game Talk: GAME 66 - #$@&%*! Chelsea Dagger - Chicago 6 BRUINS 3 F

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The tone for a team always starts from the top. And all the Bruins’ leaders have been poor of late, with the possible exception of McAvoy who’s played just ok. Bergy, Marchand, Krej, Pasta, those guys haven’t been good. And when that happens it’s hard to expect much from the rest of the roster. We’ve still seen flashes, but no consistency.

You can’t help but wonder just how much effort and energy this team poured into the first two-thirds of the season. The roster is not as good as their record would suggest, which means they’ve played above themselves and probably had to dig pretty deep to do so, although the outstanding form of Ullmark has certainly helped. They’re likely paying the price for that now and they’re flat and lacking motivation. So be it, they’ve earned the right and points cushion to have a slump.

Rough patches happen. Better now than in mid-April. But the question and challenge is how and when do they pull themselves out of it? Some of the coaching and player management for the first time this season seems questionable, and that's arguably not helping. Sort it out. Plenty of teams have peaked too soon, plenty have stumbled but reheated at the right time. The Bruins want to be the latter. They have almost all their chips loaded on this season. This is their opportunity, even if there is a tomorrow it’s not going to be as bright and favorable as today. So they simply have to find their form and legs for when it all counts most.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins have had an amazing season to date & I am sure with 105 pts they are not feeling no urgency at moment which is fine they have earned that right.I will just leave it at that I don't want to shitkick them when down because I had alot of good nights so far this year.The boys will figure it out I know it .Go Bruins.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Bruins have had an amazing season to date & I am sure with 105 pts they are not feeling no urgency at moment which is fine they have earned that right.I will just leave it at that I don't want to shitkick them when down because I had alot of good nights so far this year.The boys will figure it out I know it .Go Bruins.
I'm with you that the players will figure it out and be mentally focused for the playoffs. My only worry is that some of the guys won't have the legs for a brutal and deep playoff run. They put themselves in a perfect position to have the luxury of doing some good load management. Not sure why that isn't happening against teams like Det and Chi.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Fine to lose these games. Last 5 are the only ones that will create momentum.

He hasn't blown up the scoresheet yet, but I've been very impressed with Bertuzzi. Great o-zone awareness, finally Hall will have someone who's on the same wavelength when he returns.
I just hope that he isn't rushed back to be the saviour and not heal-up they way he should.

Reactions: BMC and bruins19

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I get that it's hard to get up for a game against a bad team. I also realize the Bs need to take the foot off the gas a little so that they don't completely wear down by the playoffs. That said, tonight was a clown show. Clifton and Forbort were gosh awful. Looked like they both forgot how to play D. Gryz nothing to write home about either.

Something I don't get is that this is the type of game where the coach needs to be thinking about load management. Hathaway and Greer under 10 mins. Nosek right around 10 mins. Those guys need to be eating more mins. The fact the Bs lost to flippin Chi by 3 makes it even worse.

Then looking at the D, McAvoy and Lindholm both around 24 mins and Orlov at around 23. I can stomach the Bs losing some games because they are trying to rest some of the stars via lower mins. No biggie, and smart to give the top 4 fewer mins even if it costs some goals. I cannot stomach wearing these guys out when they clearly need some rest. Giving them heavy mins and still losing just isn't a good thing.

The last thing the Bs need is to enter the playoffs with its key players tired and a horrible PP. Monty needs to get his crap together in those two depts. Masterful job this season by him otherwise. Don't shit the bed down the stretch.
That's the thing though they are not resting no stars.Clifton2× Grizz 2× Forbert 2× Carlo 2× and Lindholm took puck to foot Sat 1 game.

Reactions: BTO

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Thank goodness March Madness starts on Thursday, that's all I've got.
I love March Madness

I'm pulling for Duke because that were my late brother's favorite team for many years, although Houston, Alabama, Purdue and Kansas are rated as the top 4 right now

I love the excitement from the college crowds

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Interesting. Cassidy, particularly in his last couple of years, arguably said too much to the media when the team was struggling. Monty is almost the complete opposite and says very little. There's genuine frustration there though. Whatever plans the coaches may have in managing the team's health and performance down the stretch, they're not going as intended.

My one piece of advice to Monty - don't burn your veterans and top players in these last games seeking something that's not achievable. If there are genuine performance and tactical issues then by all means deal with them, but don't mistake fatigue, be in mental or physical, for lack of desire or focus. Sometimes there is no better answer than rest and a chance to come back refreshed. Play the long game.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
There may be some truth to that, because I firmly believe the main reason Cassidy was fired was that Bergy told DS I'm not coming back next season if Cassidy is still the coach.
Added to that I don't think Marchand was coming back. He made a comment paraphrasing "I told Bergy thank you, if he retired that's it for me too."

Reactions: BMC

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I just hope that he isn't rushed back to be the saviour and not heal-up they way he should.
He wasn't the savior when he was healthy so bringing him back early would solve nothing. The D needs to clear the front of the net and the forwards need to complete more than 2 T to T passes per game. Chicago's forth line beat our entire team with our #1 in net. This is problematic. Oh and shooting instead of passing when your 15 feet from the net has to stop!

• Love
Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
There may be some truth to that, because I firmly believe the main reason Cassidy was fired was that Bergy told DS I'm not coming back next season if Cassidy is still the coach.

Bergeron and Krejci coming back on the cheap, you better believe they are guiding some of Montgomery's decisions.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I fully agreed with Bergeron on that one, because I couldn't take another season of Bruce "throw eveybody under the bus" Cassidy either

Reactions: BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Interesting. Cassidy, particularly in his last couple of years, arguably said too much to the media when the team was struggling. Monty is almost the complete opposite and says very little. There's genuine frustration there though. Whatever plans the coaches may have in managing the team's health and performance down the stretch, they're not going as intended.

My one piece of advice to Monty - don't burn your veterans and top players in these last games seeking something that's not achievable. If there are genuine performance and tactical issues then by all means deal with them, but don't mistake fatigue, be in mental or physical, for lack of desire or focus. Sometimes there is no better answer than rest and a chance to come back refreshed. Play the long game.
He gave them Monday off and they give him this :nono:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The time to shut the old guys down is on the road…they don’t want to do that at home with paying customers…you know guys like Bergy and Marchy feel that way…

Somebody mentioned you only get 4 call-ups or some ridiculousness…that’s crazy! Bruins need rest…but obviously the case can be made that they also need a spark…

Once again, I guess the league wants to prevent customers seeing watered down lineups this time of year, but it’s killer for our run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad