Post-Game Talk: GAME #66: Canucks 2, Coyotes 4: Get the tourniquets ready, because the bleeding hasn't stopped yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
2 games in a row that Sutter's been a culprit in a goal against in the 3rd. Anyone wanna guess whether he'll be benched? :rolleyes:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
2 games in a row that Sutter's been a culprit in a goal against in the 3rd. Anyone wanna guess whether he'll be benched? :rolleyes:
I see time in the top six for the foundational center!

Remember Sutter’s first season as a Canuck? Wee Willie had him start play on the Sedin’s wing as that master coach thought it would better insulate the veteran a NHLer. Leave the tough defensive 3rd line center assignment to that nothing prospect sophomore Horvat. And of course, take Vrbata off that Sedin line (who scored 30+ goals the previous season before). Nothing can good out of those brilliant coaching tactics right?

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
What the tits is going on with the Canucks ?
Once again, Petterson or the forwards didn't show up. I guess these players figured that they only need to contribute once every few games, especially when their goalie is hurt.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Canucks coughed up another 40-shot game against one of the most offensively-challenged teams in the league. This team just continues to bleed shots and quality scoring chances, and has all season.

Stecher probably had his worst game of the season, and you feel for him....because he cares more than almost anyone out there. But games like this are the reason they have move on from him this off-season.

And apparently Twitter is ablaze by Green's decision to keep Roussel stapled to the second unit pp. and inexplicably out there for the last 65 seconds or so. I mean he hasn't scored now in 24 games.

Is the coach trying to get himself fired?
Been missing the games as I'm in Mexico..Glad I'm missing this losing streak...I'd hope that Travis would be canned but I dont think Benning has the balls to do it..They are going to use the whole injury issue again and again for this collapse..Just wait.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh dont get me wrong, I am fully with you. It is just that this time an injury is indeed having some impact. All the years before when Benning used it as an excuse for his teams failing it didnt make a lick of a difference and even if fully healthy during the season they would not have made the playoffs. Now this year when they need everything to go right for them to make it a few weeks without Markstrom might make the difference.

I knew where you were coming from just using your comment as a starting point to pile on :) It should be really hard to spin "we had to play our backup goaltender in a way that many teams have to play their backup". Because that's what it is. You have a backup to get 30ish game a year and at some point they are going to get a run of games because of injury. And really last night was not on Demko at all. They gave up 40 shots yet again and that was coupled with giveaways and bad coverage.

What the tits is going on with the Canucks ?
Once again, Petterson or the forwards didn't show up. I guess these players figured that they only need to contribute once every few games, especially when their goalie is hurt.

In all likelihood you have a regression down to the underlying numbers. The offense and goaltending has been outperforming the metrics and bailing out the team defense. Now you are getting this string of games where it looks like they "deserve" more but aren't getting it. But earlier they deserved less than they received which is really why these are things you look over the long term with large sample sizes.

I mentioned it and others mentioned it numerous times this season that if the underlying numbers didn't start to improve 5-on-5 it was going to start really hurting the team. And it is. Especially because it has come with decreased PK and PP efficiencies.

"I liked our game" "two lucky bounces" - Green

hahahaha

Or as I prefer to look at it...a poor start where the yotes really had an effective forecheck and caused the canucks issues. A middle portion of the game where the canucks indeed were better. And a final 15 minutes where the canucks tried to sit on a lead and failed to put forth effort. So basically Green likes 35-40 minute efforts. That pretty much explains everything.

Team struggles without him
Cap going up
Everything's coming up Markstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: dps

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
There is one common denominator to everything here and I don’t think it’s Green.

png-0912s-canucks-1281jpg_large

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Another epic collapse. This is becoming the "norm" again, just like it was during the 80's and early 90's.

The whole management needs to be flushed and started from scratch again. Starting off with Travis Green, and Jim Benning. Better to start off earlier rather than later. Gallant won't be available forever, and if they Canucks wait too long, they will be stuck with another rookie coach. I'm done with the Desjardins, and the Greens. Time to start grabbing this roster by the balls, and start holding players accountable.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Another epic collapse. This is becoming the "norm" again, just like it was during the 80's and early 90's.

The whole management needs to be flushed and started from scratch again. Starting off with Travis Green, and Jim Benning. Better to start off earlier rather than later. Gallant won't be available forever, and if they Canucks wait too long, they will be stuck with another rookie coach. I'm done with the Desjardins, and the Greens. Time to start grabbing this roster by the balls, and start holding players accountable.
And Gallant wants to come here why? To have Aquaman as his GM?

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
It would be somewhat ironic if the one season where an injury was actually somewhat responsible for the Canucks failure to make the playoffs is the the season Benning finally gets fired after using injuries as an excuse for so long.
Another irony is that the best chance of success for this team he built is coming from the goalie that Gillis brought in

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
There is no saving this team at this juncture because of the Aquilini's. If this team was already a contender and could contend every year, they would be fine but it's evident they are not. They are enemies to any proper rebuild and has hindered this team far greater than Benning has, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad