Post-Game Talk: GAME #66: Canucks 2, Coyotes 4: Get the tourniquets ready, because the bleeding hasn't stopped yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Markstrom is the exception not the rule. At 24 do you not think we can expect demko to provide decent nhl goaltending for a a month or so stretch? If not, then Benning’s goaltender of the future isn’t very good and that’s on him. If he is able to and has, but the Canucks struggle anyway, then it’s because the team isn’t very good and was propped up by the near vezina level goaltending Markstrom provided. Disagree?
Honest answer...Yes that would be on Benning if Demko does not cut it...but all the games haven't been played yet..We will find out..Same goes for the overall team.

Reactions: dps and geebaan

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Look on the bright side

At least the train got a bath
You're awesome.

A bath Could have helped this guy:

IMG_4832.GIF

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just like to point out ..that even if this seasons playoff run does indeed go pear shaped..The future of this team (with or without Benning) looks really promising..Great young exciting players to watch (not sure sure if they are old/strong enough to really pull on the rope right now)..

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
wonder if any of the guys in the lockerroom bother to watch tg post game comments and then say some bad shit about him behind his back? always curious yah your playing for the guy but his decisions must be pissing for some players.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The Canucks have been one of the more healthy teams in the league this season - I don't think injuries is much of a leg to stand on with the facts being that. Even though Boeser is out, he was replaced with Toffoli.

The most impactful injury, is Markstrom and it's exposed everything about the team defense Travis Green deploys as a system.
Or as Captain Nazzy once said “we choked”.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Here's how crazy the last 10 games have been...literally every single team in the western conference has more wins than us except the ducks (they have the same amount of wins as us).

f***ing every single team is winning.

Literally a perfect storm. Like, not a single ounce of help during this skid from the out of town scoreboard.

we haven’t been doing our due diligence in keeping up with them points wise.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
@FarhanLaljiTSN

Walked into #Canucks

room post game to hear two players finishing a convo: “Embarassing!” and “Mind blowing” before the cameras started rolling. Demko was seen limping noticeably, but downplayed the collision in game saying he just “needed to skate it off”
Reflective of our coach.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
There are very real criticisms to be made about free agent signings and cap management.
But to gleefully pat yourself on the back because a team without it's number one goaltender, top two winger, and two middle six forwards, a hurting Hughes, and a hurting Petey (I think it's fair to say this is true with both of them) is struggling, seems disingenuous at best.

Also, are you not a Canucks fan? Are you upset and disappointed that it feels like things are falling apart? Or excited to 'dunk' on 'benning bros'? Does everything have to become this oppositional and fractured?
I have believed all along that Benning has built a house of cards. Everything needs to be absolutely perfect for his thin lineup to succeed. Any sign of adversity that any and all nhl teams face in any given season, and his house of cards collapses. Am I happy my Canucks are in the shape they’re in? Hell no I am not. The idiot GM needs to go. And probably also the owners, before this can progress to lasting and meaningful success. Am I a Canucks fan? Hell yes I am. Am I a mindless puppet who is excited by the fact the moron GM made a few good top ten picks with the picks given to every team each year, and his top ten picks acquired solely because he’s a moron who constructs teams that finish poorly enough to have top ten league gifted picks? No I am certainly not. This team sucks and will be worse next year because of the “cap management” of the fearless leader. Enjoy.

I want it to be clear that I am by no means attacking anyone or wishing fo create arguments here. I just refuse to praise the current regime for their “accomplishments” when I fully believe most anyone can do better and would have our team In a better spot. I am mad as hell at the idiots who own and run this team.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Sure and I really liked him as a 4th line C as well if he could stay healthy. Paying him what Coyotes paid him at the time is equivalent to what we are paying Beagle now though.

Not really.

Richardson signed for 3 years and $2,083,333 when the cap was at $71.4m = 2.92% of the cap
Beagle signed for 4 years and $3,000,000 when the cap was at $79.5m = 3.77% of the cap

Beagle also was 2 1/2 years older when he signed that deal and not to mention that Richardson is the far superior player.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ok so I went to bed at 2-1 because

(A) I’m two hours ahead and I was tired
(B) while the Yotes started strong it looked like they had completely lost their legs in the third so I figured that was it. I know I know as a Canuck fan I should never assume such things.

so I checked the score when I get up and said “of course”. I might get a chance to watch/listen to the Avalanche game but then I’m out of internet service for 8 days or so as I vacation on an island off the coast of Belize. Be interesting to see where the team stands when I get back. Right now it looks like they are in trouble.

Reactions: vancityluongo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It would be somewhat ironic if the one season where an injury was actually somewhat responsible for the Canucks failure to make the playoffs is the the season Benning finally gets fired after using injuries as an excuse for so long.

The Golden Knights as an expansion team went 5 deep on opening day goaltending depth. The had AHL backups and ECHL starters get significant time that year. The Canucks aren’t in that situation but even if they were they should have been building up a better cushion.

That and looking at the replay it wasn’t a goaltending problem but a really bad defense problem. For the 5th season in a row. That’s a personnel/team construction problem at this point.

This isn’t about injury, it’s again about the bloated contract veterans not performing anywhere near what they are paid, a bad blueline, a bad bottom 6, bad coaching, bad team defense and lack of depth on the farm that can contribute at the nhl level. Well at least lack of depth they’ll allow to play at the nhl level. They really haven’t even had to use any farm D so far this year.

The excuses also ring hollow when you are losing to teams who have massive injury problems (Columbus, Toronto) or suffered through earlier problems (like the Yotes for instance) or just aren’t very good (ottawa). At this time of year these results are not acceptable no matter what.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
The Golden Knights as an expansion team went 5 deep on opening day goaltending depth. The had AHL backups and ECHL starters get significant time that year. The Canucks aren’t in that situation but even if they were they should have been building up a better cushion.

That and looking at the replay it wasn’t a goaltending problem but a really bad defense problem. For the 5th season in a row. That’s a personnel/team construction problem at this point.

This isn’t about injury, it’s again about the bloated contract veterans not performing anywhere near what they are paid, a bad blueline, a bad bottom 6, bad coaching, bad team defense and lack of depth on the farm that can contribute at the nhl level. Well at least lack of depth they’ll allow to play at the nhl level. They really haven’t even had to use any farm D so far this year.

The excuses also ring hollow when you are losing to teams who have massive injury problems (Columbus, Toronto) or suffered through earlier problems (like the Yotes for instance) or just aren’t very good (ottawa). At this time of year these results are not acceptable no matter what.

Oh dont get me wrong, I am fully with you. It is just that this time an injury is indeed having some impact. All the years before when Benning used it as an excuse for his teams failing it didnt make a lick of a difference and even if fully healthy during the season they would not have made the playoffs. Now this year when they need everything to go right for them to make it a few weeks without Markstrom might make the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad