Post-Game Talk: GAME #66: Canucks 2, Coyotes 4: Get the tourniquets ready, because the bleeding hasn't stopped yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Benning did sacrifice a lot to get TT..If Marky didnt go down, it may have worked (if marky had been on the last road trip,we would have come out that with 2 wins minimum)..

It was a gamble by Benning, that will bite him in the ass if we miss the playoffs..but again, at the time I'm sure he didnt expect his MVP to go down with an injury for a month (at the worst possible time).

There is certainly an irony to you using Markstrom’s injury as an excuse, given that he was a Gillis player that Benning waived, and given that our back up goalie is Benning’s goalie of the future that he drafted and is of an age where he can reasonably be expected to be a number one goalie in the nhl over a short time period.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah Hughes said no matter the injury, there’s 16 games left so he wants to play and help the team try to make the playoffs. We have a good one here.
Hughes and possibility Pettersson playing hurt. Boeser and Markstrom both out. They’re dead in the water even if they make the playoffs.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hughes and possibility Pettersson playing hurt. Boeser and Markstrom both out. They’re dead in the water even if they make the playoffs.
Yeah I posted some detail on what I’ve been seeing from Pettersson, long story short, he’s deferring the puck to his teammates a lot and hardly shooting. He hasn’t taken a one timer on the PP in so long it seems.

Reactions: CanuckCity

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I hate to assume a player is injured just because their play isn’t up to par, but I believe Pettersson is hurt. He is deferring the puck far too much and he’s hardly shooting now. Where is that patented Pettersson slapshot? When is the last time he’s even attempted it?

All of that tells me he’s really battling something. Even when Pettersson is “off” his game, he is still firing pucks on net and unloading his bomb of a shot. He’s not doing either of these things consistently and he’s constantly looking for a pass.
He is almost certainly hurting by this point in the year, same as last year.
Its going to take a few years to get up to the physique required to maintain his high skill level without feeling banged up over 60 games.
Both ep and hughes are excellent assets to have but both are literally the size of teenagers, I am a decent sized guy and id be sore as F by game 20. Let alone game 60 and being 50 lbs skinnier.

Reactions: CanuckCity

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He is almost certainly hurting by this point in the year, same as last year.
Its going to take a few years to get up to the physique required to maintain his high skill level without feeling banged up over 60 games.
Both ep and hughes are excellent assets to have but both are literally the size of teenagers, I am a decent sized guy and id be sore as F by game 20. Let alone game 60 and being 50 lbs skinnier.

Yeah I think it's to be expected with Pettersson. He takes an absolute beating on most nights. It's similar to the Sedins always taking a beating downlow while cycling. Pettersson is just going to have to find a way to battle through that and overcome it - it may take some time, some maturing, and a bit more bulking.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You made the initial claim he was overplayed..show me.

Here is the first hit I found on mobile

Only Connor Hellebuyck, Carey Price, David Rittich, and Sergei Bobrovsky have faced more scoring chances on net overall than Markstrom, and of that group he holds the highest overall save percentage from the slot at .854, which says a lot.

You didn't answer my question

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There is certainly an irony to you using Markstrom’s injury as an excuse, given that he was a Gillis player that Benning waived, and given that our back up goalie is Benning’s goalie of the future that he drafted and is of an age where he can reasonably be expected to be a number one goalie in the nhl over a short time period.
How good good was Marky when he was 24?....How good was Marky when he was 27?....Not very good ..right?...At the time Marky was waived, a lot of prominent negative posters said 'good riddance'.(would you like me to dig them up?)..

Demko is 24.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah I think it's to be expected with Pettersson. He takes an absolute beating on most nights. It's similar to the Sedins always taking a beating downlow while cycling. Pettersson is just going to have to find a way to battle through that and overcome it - it may take some time, some maturing, and a bit more bulking.
Yeah and we have nobody standing up for him, not a goon but anything. Scrum. Push. Some swear words..

Thats exactly right amd the sedins were excellent athletes and still got banged up. Either sedin is john cena compared to EP at this stage of his career.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
How good good was Marky when he was 24?....How good was Marky when he was 27?....Not very good ..right?...At the time Marky was waived, a lot of prominent negative posters said 'good riddance'.(would you like me to dig them up?)..

Demko is 24.

Markstrom is the exception not the rule. At 24 do you not think we can expect demko to provide decent nhl goaltending for a a month or so stretch? If not, then Benning’s goaltender of the future isn’t very good and that’s on him. If he is able to and has, but the Canucks struggle anyway, then it’s because the team isn’t very good and was propped up by the near vezina level goaltending Markstrom provided. Disagree?

Reactions: dps

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It’s funny how quiet a game like this makes the most vocal of the Benning bros who have been taking delight in dunking on the opposite minded fans since the team looked safe for playoffs and their crowning achievement, the closing of the tank thread.
There are very real criticisms to be made about free agent signings and cap management.
But to gleefully pat yourself on the back because a team without it's number one goaltender, top two winger, and two middle six forwards, a hurting Hughes, and a hurting Petey (I think it's fair to say this is true with both of them) is struggling, seems disingenuous at best.

Also, are you not a Canucks fan? Are you upset and disappointed that it feels like things are falling apart? Or excited to 'dunk' on 'benning bros'? Does everything have to become this oppositional and fractured?

Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah and we have nobody standing up for him, not a goon but anything. Scrum. Push. Some swear words..

Thats exactly right amd the sedins were excellent athletes and still got banged up. Either sedin is john cena compared to EP at this stage of his career.

Pettersson also needs to stop falling down all the time - it may not seem like much, but it's a lot of extra energy being wasted over the course of an 82 game schedule. He doesn't need to be adding to his demise by picking himself up off the ice every shift.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks coughed up another 40-shot game against one of the most offensively-challenged teams in the league. This team just continues to bleed shots and quality scoring chances, and has all season.

Stecher probably had his worst game of the season, and you feel for him....because he cares more than almost anyone out there. But games like this are the reason they have move on from him this off-season.

And apparently Twitter is ablaze by Green's decision to keep Roussel stapled to the second unit pp. and inexplicably out there for the last 65 seconds or so. I mean he hasn't scored now in 24 games.

Is the coach trying to get himself fired?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wow, IM the positive one in this case? Feels weird.
No, apologists can sense the winds shift. The next move in their playbook is to stick a knife in what they were unsuccessfully defending and pretend they were critical from the beginning

It's going to get ugly, to the point that I will be forced to defend Benning and Green from these ex-apologists more outrageous claims

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
i disagree, I’m pissed about these losses, but I don’t think it’s panic time yet.

now we lose the next 3, shit is done. But there is time.

he’s signed for 3 more seasons after this so we good.

Wow, IM the positive one in this case? Feels weird.

I'm really impressed and I agree. The losses suck & feel worse considering they were leads in the 3rd, but the season isn't this yet:
IMG_4870.GIF

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There are very real criticisms to be made about free agent signings and cap management.
But to gleefully pat yourself on the back because a team without it's number one goaltender, top two winger, and two middle six forwards, a hurting Hughes, and a hurting Petey (I think it's fair to say this is true with both of them) is struggling, seems disingenuous at best.

Also, are you not a Canucks fan? Are you upset and disappointed that it feels like things are falling apart? Or excited to 'dunk' on 'benning bros'? Does everything have to become this oppositional and fractured?

The Canucks have been one of the more healthy teams in the league this season - I don't think injuries is much of a leg to stand on with the facts being that. Even though Boeser is out, he was replaced with Toffoli.

The most impactful injury, is Markstrom and it's exposed everything about the team defense Travis Green deploys as a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad