GDT: Game 65: Avs @ Sharks - Blood in the Water - 8:30PM

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Watched the first 2 periods last night. Just watched the highlights of the 3rd.

What in the actual f*** was Ian Cole doing on the Sharks 4th goal? That’s an absolutely embarrassing play for a NHL player

Reactions: MacBradley

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Tough loss but they put in a good effort in a very tough building to win in for this team. Girard with a filthy goal and Zadorov had a strong game as well.

We still certainly control our own fate down the stretch and we weren't going to be perfect and win every game. A loss on the road against a team we're not fighting with is a game that's ok to lose.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Is Zadorov leading all Avs defencemen in goals?

In Cuba all week, so I’ll only be able to look at the boxscore. Losing is a lot less frustrating when you don’t see the breakdowns that lead to goals.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The spin move doesn't lead to a turnover one time and everyone praises G?? I'd rather he just stop all together.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Not quite sure what folks were expecting here. It's the freaking Sharks and they can ice a team without a top six forward and a #1 D and still look this good.

This is the type of team we are trying to build...we are a long, long way from it.
I see the Avs being one of the best teams in the West withing the next 2 years. Next season is most likely too soon, unless the team has a fabulous summer.

The Avs have been a respectable bubble team for 2 years now despite a ton of issues and limitations on the roster. I find it hard to believe we won't sign someone decent during the summer + we are getting a top 4 D in Makar. The real wildcard is the Senators 1st, could be an impact player straight away or it could take a season or two.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Just got caught up on the highlights. Sucks we lost but Girard's goal got me like

InsecureValuableAmericanlobster-size_restricted.gif

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Is Zadorov leading all Avs defencemen in goals?

In Cuba all week, so I’ll only be able to look at the boxscore. Losing is a lot less frustrating when you don’t see the breakdowns that lead to goals.
If you have Wi-Fi, Google Reddit NHL streams about 15 minutes before the game if you want to watch.

Reactions: Avs71

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not quite sure what folks were expecting here. It's the freaking Sharks and they can ice a team without a top six forward and a #1 D and still look this good.

This is the type of team we are trying to build...we are a long, long way from it.

That being said...I can only hope our star players are as patient about the rebuild as Sakic is (after 10+ years, my patience is worn ****ing thin.) It's going to take some time. We've got some nice pieces coming in next season (Makar and OTT 1st) but I'm not convinced that is nearly enough....especially with the question marks in net. This organization really **** the bed on giving Frank some starts. If we can't guarantee him an NHL job someone else will...not necessarily a starting position but at least a backup with a chance to challenge. I'm just not comfortable enough with Grubs to think that would work....not sure anyone would be. So basically we would be pinning the next season on Frank becoming a legit NHLr without ever having had a start in the league.

Such a freaking stupid situation....This is where Joe has completely ****ed everything up. He did his best to shore up the goaltending situation and then refused to force the coach to find out what they had in Frank.

Meh...I didn't expect the AVs to win this one...they were outclassed when the rosters were released. I'm just tired of watching this team being stuck in a rut. They have what appears to be a really solid goalie, but won't give him a game to start. They get the most effective 4th line they've had in over a decade and they send two of them back to the AHL. **** it...I'll watch when I see we win a game but other than that, NCIS re-runs are more entertaining.
I know everybody want the Avs to give Frankie some starts to see what we have in him. I'm sure they want that as well but the truth is Sakic and Bednar are in a bad spot with regard to goalies. I'm sure Sakic expected Varly to go down with an extended injuries as he does every year but unfortunately for Frankie that didn't happen. Varly got hurt but for not very long. Remember that the Avs needed to assess Gru as a starter as well this year. That means giving him a few starts in a row to see if he can handle the load. So when Varly went down they did just that. There were no back-to-back games during that time which is usually the best time to put your back up in. So they use those games to assess Gru. Gru failed pretty bad allowing Bednar to at least see Frankie in relief. Frankie did really well and Bednar said he would consider giving a start but Varly came back forcing them to send Frankie back down.

Also remember that the Avs have been stuck in this playoff fight for quite a while. The priority is to make the playoffs especially for Bednar so he will start the goalie he thinks gives him the best chance of winning and that is Varly right now. Bringing up Frankie to give him a start or two especially when the other two seem to have turn the corner would send a very bad signal to the other goalies and the rest of the team as well.

I want to see Frankie as much as the next guy but the opportunity to do that was just not there this year due to Varly staying relatively healthy and Gru not injured at all. It sucks but that's where they stand right now and it is not going to change unless the Avs get separation between them and the other teams by being well inside or outside before the season ends.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So many bad line up decisions by Bednar. First of all Grubauer needed another start after a strong shutout game he had, and secondly how do you play Nemeth or Cole over Graves?

If anyone is gonna cost the Avs a playoff spot its Bednar

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I know everybody want the Avs to give Frankie some starts to see what we have in him. I'm sure they want that as well but the truth is Sakic and Bednar are in a bad spot with regard to goalies. I'm sure Sakic expected Varly to go down with an extended injuries as he does every year but unfortunately for Frankie that didn't happen. Varly got hurt but for not very long. Remember that the Avs needed to assess Gru as a starter as well this year. That means giving him a few starts in a row to see if he can handle the load. So when Varly went down they did just that. There were no back-to-back games during that time which is usually the best time to put your back up in. So they use those games to assess Gru. Gru failed pretty bad allowing Bednar to at least see Frankie in relief. Frankie did really well and Bednar said he would consider giving a start but Varly came back forcing them to send Frankie back down.

Also remember that the Avs have been stuck in this playoff fight for quite a while. The priority is to make the playoffs especially for Bednar so he will start the goalie he thinks gives him the best chance of winning and that is Varly right now. Bringing up Frankie to give him a start or two especially when the other two seem to have turn the corner would send a very bad signal to the other goalies and the rest of the team as well.

I want to see Frankie as much as the next guy but the opportunity to do that was just not there this year due to Varly staying relatively healthy and Gru not injured at all. It sucks but that's where they stand right now and it is not going to change unless the Avs get separation between them and the other teams by being well inside or outside before the season ends.
Yeah I don't agree at all. After back to back to back to back awful play from both goalies you don't wait for an injury. You bench his sorry ass and bring up Frankie. Hell the whole team was pissed with their play. This organization is petrified of stepping on toes. Especially veterans.

James G

Jan 1, 2018

Very well said.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
So many bad line up decisions by Bednar. First of all Grubauer needed another start after a strong shutout game he had, and secondly how do you play Nemeth or Cole over Graves?

If anyone is gonna cost the Avs a playoff spot its Bednar

Re: Graves - in a game against one of the oldest and experienced teams in the league we went with experienced Dmen, not a rookie. I don’t mind the decision at all given the circumstance. I suspect we’ll see Graves back at some point.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah I don't agree at all. After back to back to back to back awful play from both goalies you don't wait for an injury. You bench his sorry ass and bring up Frankie. Hell the whole team was pissed with their play. This organization is petrified of stepping on toes. Especially veterans.

Easy enough response, ignoring Varly is about to be a UFA, and the trade deadline was approaching. And none of us have any clue what was going on behind the scenes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pavelski is a ****ing rat on the draw. I can't stand the guy. Saw him hook players legs more than once tonight and doesn't get called for any of it.

That was a dirty play for sure, but I'm not sure it's a penalty since he didn't fall. The full swing gloved punch to the side of Brassard's head from Dillon should have been though. So should have the hook by Pavelski on Soderberg's hands that prevented him from clearing the puck on the extended shift.

That said, this game played out the same way practically every game with the Sharks in SJ has played out since the playoff series in 03-04 with Kariya/Selanne. Avs get blown out of the water with the shot differential, can't get out of their own zone, and can't get the refs to call the Sharks for a penalty.

It's literally the same story almost every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad