GDT: Game 65: Avs @ Sharks - Blood in the Water - 8:30PM

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Stars@Blues and Wild@Flames tomorrow. Two tough games for them, but knowing our luck they'll both win somehow.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Also MacKinnon was HORRID that game, you can't expect to win when your best player is that bad. I just don't understand, he was so dominant against the Canucks and was just so terrible tonight.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I missed the game, but came back and fast-forwarded it so take my post with a grain of salt. I didn't know Avs were that bad in SAP Centre, I believe Sharks are 17-1-1 against us and that's Western Canada bad (and completely unacceptable). I get it that Sharks have been a truly dominant force the past 8 seasons, while Avs have been the opposite, but holy smokes they still got some voodoos against us.

Based upon me watching in FF mode, Avs unit as a team did not really help Varlamov at all. I believe Sharks second or third goal came off like a two minute shift in our zone and that really summed up 80% of the game. Nice to see Avs battle back and then take such a Pejorative Slured penalty to give Sharks a freebee. I am not blaming Varly for the loss, but that second goal is unacceptable. Even for how bad the Avs were, if he stops that shot the game is tied heading to extra.

I am not too worried because I went through the schedule and Sharks were the toughest team we'll play against for at least the next two to three weeks. This loss won't mean much if Avs are able to beat teams below them in the standings.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
That moment when you see Ghetto with Dries and Wilson on the ice for the first time in the game and every bit of excitement dies. Of course, seeing Kerfoot play with MacK and Rants doesn't exactly revive the excitement. And even if it did there's always Cole to murder it again.
Knights, Jets, Hawks and Preds. 4 great wins in key games in a row... and this idiot decides to ruin the chemistry. Now here we are, looking like a team which is kinda good but not really ready for the playoffs again. Makes me sad.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not quite sure what folks were expecting here. It's the freaking Sharks and they can ice a team without a top six forward and a #1 D and still look this good.

This is the type of team we are trying to build...we are a long, long way from it.

That being said...I can only hope our star players are as patient about the rebuild as Sakic is (after 10+ years, my patience is worn f***ing thin.) It's going to take some time. We've got some nice pieces coming in next season (Makar and OTT 1st) but I'm not convinced that is nearly enough....especially with the question marks in net. This organization really shit the bed on giving Frank some starts. If we can't guarantee him an NHL job someone else will...not necessarily a starting position but at least a backup with a chance to challenge. I'm just not comfortable enough with Grubs to think that would work....not sure anyone would be. So basically we would be pinning the next season on Frank becoming a legit NHLr without ever having had a start in the league.

Such a freaking stupid situation....This is where Joe has completely f***ed everything up. He did his best to shore up the goaltending situation and then refused to force the coach to find out what they had in Frank.

Meh...I didn't expect the AVs to win this one...they were outclassed when the rosters were released. I'm just tired of watching this team being stuck in a rut. They have what appears to be a really solid goalie, but won't give him a game to start. They get the most effective 4th line they've had in over a decade and they send two of them back to the AHL. f*** it...I'll watch when I see we win a game but other than that, NCIS re-runs are more entertaining.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Cole
Dries
Ghetto
Wilson
Barrie
Kerfoot
Grubs
Bourque
Nemeth

These are all of the players I'd like to see replaced. A few of them can (or should) already be replaced by players in the AHL and the pipeline, so Sakic's work is already halfway done.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Cole
Dries
Ghetto
Wilson
Barrie
Kerfoot
Grubs
Bourque
Nemeth

These are all of the players I'd like to see replaced. A few of them can (or should) already be replaced by players in the AHL and the pipeline, so Sakic's work is already halfway done.
So you want 9 players moved out over one summer?

I've seen that happen a few times but the results have never really improved the team.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So you want 9 players moved out over one summer?

I've seen that happen a few times but the results have never really improved the team.

Not necessarily all moved out. Cole, Grubs and Barrie are the only ones with term. The rest are upcoming UFA and RFA, so they could just be not qualified, or sent to the AHL and replaced in the lineup by guys like Greer and Kamanev and Makar.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not necessarily all moved out. Cole, Grubs and Barrie are the only ones with term. The rest are upcoming UFA and RFA, so they could just be not qualified, or sent to the AHL and replaced in the lineup by guys like Greer and Kamanev and Makar.
And who do you think we bring in to replace the others?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Look I get it, folks what the AVs to be a better team...but it simply doesn't happen over night. Before this season began, I thought the first step was to find two top six wingers. Now I think goalies are a bigger deal....given what is out there in UFA, the AVs should probably do their best to draft Knight and trade Grubs, sign Varly for two years at 5M and Frank for 3 years at 2M per if he'll take it. Ideally they would've given Frank some starts this season but that's water under the bridge at this point.

Even after doing all that, Joe needs to work on Rants long term, and fix the second line. Stop-gaps can no longer be used. He needs to get quality players in the top six.

Then there is the question of the coach...do you give him chance? Does he deserve it? Does the team listen to him? The answer to those questions depend upon at what point in the season you watched the team. And yes, it's a freaking circle. So...does Bednar survive? I think he should but I also think he needs some voices around him that don't cater to every whim.

Joe has his work cut out for him this summer. If he doesn't try to put his dick-skinner in the operating end of a snow-blower, he might, just might be able to make something of this team.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Look that season that should not be mentioned is a special kind of hell. It should be viewed as an aberration but for the last decade and a half the AVs have not actually been considered locks for the playoffs. There is a lot of work to be done here. I do believe we have some really good pieces in place but if we expect our draft picks to carry us without any UFA/trade help, we will continue this trend of being a bubble team. I believe every Stanley Cup team has a place on its roster for one or two over-paid players. It just depends on the severity of the over-payment.

Joe has his work cut out for him. If he goes into next season without doing anything to improve the second line other than OTT''s 1st....it would be terrible. Additionally, he needs to find a solution or a path to a solution for goal-tending that will allow the team to be competitive. And don't forget Rant's needing a contract and deserving tons of money.

I would love to see Joe hit a home run this summer...but I'm expecting a double. He'll give Rant's a good paycheck, he'll resign Varly, won't find a taker on Grubs, lose Frank for nothing (which may or may not be a thing) and will either re-sign Brassard or sign a similar player and call it an off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad