Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GDT WILL BE POSTED AT 5 PM

Play-by-play commentator John Forslund, Emmy Award-winning ‘Inside-the-Glass’ analyst Pierre McGuire and analyst Mike Milbury will have the call from TD Garden.

upload_2020-2-27_1-34-29.png

upload_2020-2-27_1-34-53.png

The Boston Bruins look to snap out of their first regulation losing streak in over two months when they host the Dallas Stars on Thursday night.

The Bruins dropped their second straight regulation setback on Tuesday with a 5-2 loss to the Calgary Flames. The defeat snapped a seven-game home winning streak and gave Boston its first run of regulation losses since Dec. 7-12.

The Stars have won seven of their last nine (7-1-1) and six of their last eight road games (6-0-2). Dallas kicked off a three-game trip with a 4-1 victory at the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday.

Thursday's meeting marks the conclusion of the regular-season series for the Bruins and Stars. The clubs opened the season against each other on Oct. 3 in Dallas, with Boston eking out a 2-1 victory behind 28 saves from goaltender Tuukka Rask.

The Stars have come a long way since then, putting a 1-7-1 start behind them to trail only the St. Louis Blues in the Western Conference standings.

Dallas elected to stand pat at Monday's trade deadline, opting to stick with its current roster.

"We like where we're at. We like our depth," general manager Jim Nill told reporters. "I like where the young kids are at, what they've added to the team. And I like how the veterans are starting to play."

Former Bruin Tyler Seguin leads the way for the Stars with 48 points after scoring his 16th goal of the season to kick off a three-goal first period in Tuesday's win over the Hurricanes. Youngsters Roope Hintz (23 years old), Jason Dickinson (24) and Denis Gurianov (22) further chipped in with three, two and two points, respectively, in the contest.

"They're learning, and they're becoming more reliable," Stars interim coach Rick Bowness said of Hintz and Gurianov, who are now tied with captain Jamie Benn for the team lead with 18 goals.

"We know what they're going to do with the puck. We know what they're going to do with their speed, and they're becoming much more reliable."

The Bruins similarly are relying on their current roster, acquiring forwards Nick Ritchie and Ondrej Kase in smaller moves ahead of the trade deadline instead of making a splash. Ritchie made his team debut in Tuesday's loss, while Kase is a possibility to play Thursday after being held out since Feb. 7 -- when he was still with the Anaheim Ducks -- with an illness.

"I think he'd like to get a few more reps here with us," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy of Kase on Monday. "That deal is as much for the playoffs and moving forward."

Boston's offense fell flat against the Flames on Tuesday in its return home from a four-game road trip. Brad Marchand scored his 25th goal of the season to tie the game midway through the second period before Calgary tacked on four goals in the final 30 minutes.

"We weren't at our best, for sure," Marchand said. "We didn't have it all the way through the game. We were a little sleepy, I guess, at times."

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This is unlikely to be a high-scoring affair. I highly rate Ben Bishop and the Stars play a tight, responsible game not so different from ours. If either team concedes more than 2 goals then it's probably a pretty safe bet that they'll lose the game. The Bruins' defense has been uncharacteristically poor in the last couple of games, so it definitely needs a return to form here.

A little puck luck could be the difference and hopefully it goes Boston's way. But to earn it they're going to need to give a much better effort and something closer to a 60 min performance. I think they'll deliver that and bounce back with a hard-fought win. No word I'm aware of yet as to whether Kase will play but if he does I'm really interested to see how he goes. Not too many expectations in his first game but just want to get a look at him in a Bruins jersey and see how his playing style may fit in with this group's. On paper and past performance it should, but I find most players do tend to look just a little different in how they play suiting up for one team as against another.

Let's go Bs!!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is unlikely to be a high-scoring affair. I highly rate Ben Bishop and the Stars play a tight, responsible game not so different from ours. If either team concedes more than 2 goals then it's probably a pretty safe bet that they'll lose the game. The Bruins' defense has been uncharacteristically poor in the last couple of games, so it definitely needs a return to form here.

A little puck luck could be the difference and hopefully it goes Boston's way. But to earn it they're going to need to give a much better effort and something closer to a 60 min performance. I think they'll deliver that and bounce back with a hard-fought win. No word I'm aware of yet as to whether Kase will play but if he does I'm really interested to see how he goes. Not too many expectations in his first game but just want to get a look at him in a Bruins jersey and see how his playing style may fit in with this group's. On paper and past performance it should, but I find most players do tend to look just a little different in how they play suiting up for one team as against another.

Let's go Bs!!

Cassidy's comments seem to indicate he isn't playing but I guess there is a chance he plays as two days practice is a few reps.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Looks like the old Metroboards is gone. Last few years it was called Sudden Death Hockey Forums.
The place was vacant last time I checked. It use to be excellent and very busy.
Horrible moderation and some other shenanigans by some sunk it and people fled (many came here). Surprised it lasted this !ong.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Don't like what I am hearing about Kase. Ritchie
scrambles to fly cross country and doesn't even
get a practice in and immediately plays.

They literally said Kase is healthy but they wanted to get him into a few practices.

Ritchie has been playing and practicing. Kase has been out for 2-3 weeks.

It makes sense why they'd want Kase to maybe get some time under his belt before throwing him back into a game.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
They literally said Kase is healthy but they wanted to get him into a few practices.

It makes sense why they'd want Kase to maybe get some time under his belt before throwing him back into a game.

It's not just chemistry or structure. At this point, it's probably conditioning as well.

As much as I would like to see Kase sooner, later maybe the wisest course.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Makes sense. As fans we are just excited to see what our shiny new toy can do. I liked hearing he plays a high energy game. With some health luck this kid should be fun to watch

Bruin4ever

Feb 17, 2020
Regardless if it’s tonight or Saturday when Kase finally is in the lineup, it has to be when he is 100% ready. If he goes and has a bad game the media, the critics and many of the people on this board will tear him and DS apart. We were all looking for that second line help and many are not confident this kid can do it but I think we all need to see a few games before passing judgment as this kid is in a tuff spot. Expectations are high but confidence is low. Let’s just see what he can do when he gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad