GDT: Game 64: Montreal Canadiens vs Ottawa Senators 2/22/20 7:00pm EST SNE, TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Bergevin is convinced the team will be good next year; he won't be trading anyone under contract (Tatar, Petry) for next season, I agree. Next year will be more of the same..

He's right he has a good team. When his team is actually on the ice that is. The problem: he keeps over-evaluating his depth, the elite-level of his core (not elite) and health prospects. History will repeat itself continuously until 1) he either adds so much depth that losing some is ok (highly unlikely, changing the depth of an organization is actually very hard) 2) New players enter the core and are more elite than the current players (unlikely in the next 3 years with the prospects and players we know about).

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He's right he has a good team. When his team is actually on the ice that is. The problem: he keeps over-evaluating his depth, the elite-level of his core (not elite) and health prospects. History will repeat itself continuously until 1) he either adds so much depth that losing some is ok (highly unlikely, changing the depth of an organization is actually very hard) 2) New players enter the core and are more elite than the current players (unlikely in the next 3 years with the prospects and players we know about).
When healthy this is a bubble team. When not healthy, the team is a disaster. More often than not, teams will face major injuries throughout the year.

The team is not a good team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's been overvaluing the core since he became GM of this team.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
There's good parts in there, but there's big big weaknesses too like the ones everybody knows (Left D, backup goalie) and the lack of an elite gamebreaker on the top line, which we haven't had since Kovalev's occasional brilliance.

It's Bergevin's job to gamble to a degree. But it seems like he wants to gamble that his current team can be better, not that he can make it better with new meaningful assets.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

Last games before the TDL are always special since unique stuff happens in them all time. Some have mentionned healthy scratches. Sometimes players get pulled from games they dressed in. Some fan bases give their farewell to old favorites when it's pretty obvious they are goners. And then you get the occasional player acting out, like Miroslav Satan gesturing for teams to call for his services, remember that?

But our game is on Saturday, I expect more stuff to happen tomorrow night.

But so many moving pieces. For the Sens, too. Could Pageau be pulled?

Reactions: Andrei79

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bergevin is convinced the team will be good next year; he won't be trading anyone under contract (Tatar, Petry) for next season, I agree. Next year will be more of the same..
I agree with you and when both Tatar and Petry are still on this team Tuesday morning in this sellers market ill be taking a break until the draft lottery.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dear hockey gods,

I know it seems I only ask for your help in times of need. And make fun of people like Don Cherry for believing in you the rest of the time.

But, please, please, please let Kovy get a hat trick tonight. From now on I'll believe in you, be more faithful, and show more respect. I promise.

-26Mats

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
He's been overvaluing the core since he became GM of this team.

yes, but now it’s even worse because they’re all his guys.
Petry, Tatar, Drouin, Weber - he’s attached to these players.

Reactions: 417

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
All of Bergevin's significant moves happened in the off-season. Why would it be any different this year? Especially with no big UFAs in the lineup. Chances are we only pick up 1 or 2 more picks in the 5th-7th round range.

Anyway, as for today's game, hard to see the Sens winning this one.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So Carey Price is wearing a white mask at practice today. Is he trying to get used to a white mask for when he is traded and will wear the white mask until his new custom mask is ready for his new team? :sarcasm:

Never forget:

ERZO-cYWkAAJTIp.jpg

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Strange.....I'm really happy to see Alzner. First, the sentimental side in me thinks that while he's about to leave this organization, the guy deserves to end it in the NHL for the player he was in the NHL and what he has done with Laval. And then, the vicious side of me like it 'cause....he's not that good....so we will be scored on with him on the ice...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What happened to Max Domi? How does a player who showed so much promise last season completely lose his game?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Daily reminder that the 4th overall pick is playing in tonights game, in a key role for a young team. Meanwhile the 3rd overall pick, AKA the Timmins Special, will be playing at noon in the AHL.

Bergy Rulez.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
One can only hope for a 4-3 win for the sens in regulation.

3pts for Kovy, Suzuki and Petry

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Let the 10 million dollar goalie earn his money while there's still a chance, slim tho it may be.

I don't really care if they win or lose at this point, won't make much difference in the standings. I'm more excited to see Ovy score his 700th in a few minutes.

GO:habsGO

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Daily reminder that the 4th overall pick is playing in tonights game, in a key role for a young team. Meanwhile the 3rd overall pick, AKA the Timmins Special, will be playing at noon in the AHL.

Bergy Rulez.

KK would have a big role in Ottawa as well.

I understand you don't like Timmins, but this was illogical at a profound level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad