Post-Game Talk: GAME #64: Canucks 2 @ Avalanche 3 (S/O)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Pettersson looks gas'd. And you can't blame him. This is the most he has played in a season. Ive noticed His shifts are incredibally short. Boeser stays on for at least 15 seconds longer than EP40.

I wonder if he plans on playing in the World Championship this yr.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Pettersson looks gas'd. And you can't blame him. This is the most he has played in a season. Ive noticed His shifts are incredibally short. Boeser stays on for at least 15 seconds longer than EP40.

I wonder if he plans on playing in the World Championship this yr.

I think he will play. The Swedes like that tourney

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Gotta factor in his fatigue. Tho I believe he would have 1 month or more off before start of the tourney. .

But then again, he also broke his thumb playing in the tourney last yr.

Smart move might be to just call it a day and rest and get ready for off season training.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So many times you have to say the same thing. Markstrom held them in and allowed them to steal points. First period was complete gong show and the Avs got one incredible chance after another followed by one incredible save after another . Markstrom efforts to make Canucks somewhat viable is the most untold story in the League this year. I really don't know another goalie who has been better.

Good

Markstrom - outstanding

Stecher - clearly our best defenseman. Continues to show huge development. If he can improve his shot this off season, he becomes central to the offense.

Motte - again effective on the forecheck and packing the puck thru the mid ice zone. Very rare to see him make a mistake in coverage or in puck handling. Best of the muckers

Roussel - got to the net and created problems for Avs. Uses speed effectively to force play and back check hard

Goldobin - getting redundant I know but he is so close to being a front line offensive player. Just needs to complete plays. Vision and passing is there but just needs to camouflage his puck movement better and put the puck away chances. Best forward in this game and rightly played a lot.

Bad

Granlund - I get the idea that he is suppose to be this reliable, good positional checker. But the problem is he isn't that as he is too weak on the puck and is too weak physically. Indeed the the word weak sums up Granny. Don't see how he is contributing to the team in any meaningful way.

Eriksson - doubt he has to shower after this one. Got it firmly on snooze mode.

Sautner - is not ready for this level. If he got the wrong match up he was toast. Like Sautner, Shenn played little but was decently effective.

Others

Horvat - had trouble handling MacKinnon. Not an easy task

Hutton - being asked to do way too much. Played for over 3o minutes and asked to provided at both ends. Did his best but had some real difficult shifts in his own end.

Levio - scored important goal but I thought he was fumbling away too many chances. Should not be on any #1 PP. Needs to make better plays and decisions off the rush

Pearson - not bad. Skating was better than I expected and can see the pro style game he has. Thought he looked fairly strong on the puck and battled well along the boards. Would say he was more of positive than Gudbranson has been. Get kind of David Booth vibe but hopefully he has the better all round game.

Spooner - does have talent. Really is an excellent skater and showed some play making ability. Think he is showing more talent than Gagner ever did. That said, he seems to avoid high traffic areas and sort of zip in and out of the play. Could see where he could be dangerous by making the deft play here and there but is there much strength in his overall game? Still looks very tentative which led to some problems getting the puck out of his zone.

Beiga - got worked some in his own end and size and lack of reach hurt him at times. Still worked the puck adequately from the Avs blue line and provided the team with some physical element.

Pettersson - maybe his worst game. Got shut down offensively and had major issues in his own end.

Markstrom clearly remains the story. Worst thing about Markstrom play is that it is stopping the team from sinking down to a gold plated draft choice this year. Maybe best thing is that hopefully Benning won't be looking to over pay some free agent goalie this off spring. Markstrom should clean up at the year end award night.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Is it just me or does Pettersson play better with Goldy? It seems EP prefers playing with players that hold on to the puck to gain the zone. He likes gaining the zone with possession and giving and receiving nifty passes. The only forwards besides EP that can do this are Brock, Goldobin and maybe Horvat, everyone else just dumps it in.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Is it just me or does Pettersson play better with Goldy? It seems EP prefers playing with players that hold on to the puck to gain the zone. He likes gaining the zone with possession and giving and receiving nifty passes. The only forwards besides EP that can do this are Brock, Goldobin and maybe Horvat, everyone else just dumps it in.
Of course. Who wouldn't like to enter the zone with possession? That's how you score goals, not by starting the zone entry with a coin flip which team gets the puck.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Jeff Patersson just said he spent a very long time in the medical room after the game. Watch him not play tomorrow ...

Gotta factor in his fatigue. Tho I believe he would have 1 month or more off before start of the tourney. .

But then again, he also broke his thumb playing in the tourney last yr.

Smart move might be to just call it a day and rest and get ready for off season training.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Markstrom clearly remains the story. Worst thing about Markstrom play is that it is stopping the team from sinking down to a gold plated draft choice this year. Maybe best thing is that hopefully Benning won't be looking to over pay some free agent goalie this off spring. Markstrom should clean up at the year end award night.

I miss a lot of games due to the late time zone, but caught the last couple without Guddy. I've been on team tank, but dare I say it, the Canucks look... entertaining? (nothing's less entertaining than getting blown out). I cheered when Leivo scored.... bad for the tank but I cheered nonetheless.

Reactions: Nomobo

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
At this point, with the personnel we have, Granlund should sit tomorrow (and most games). Once Gaudette is healthy, the kid deserves to play! Now, I know Green is pretty attached to his certain PK units but he should be using Horvat, Roussel or even Pearson (no idea if he has any experience in such a role) instead so he can deploy Gaudette in his semi-sheltered role at least.... (The argument could be made that he should be given more rope and a bigger role but I'd be content with the suggestion I have at this point)

It's mind-boggling how this regime continues to view such a vanilla player as so indispensable. Swiss army knife, indeed.... *snorts* Honestly, if we benched Granlund or Eriksson so the kids could actually play, I'd stand and applaud. But I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Stupid Markstrom... Always stealing points for us...

In all seriousness, every game I go through an internal battle between wanting the Canucks to win, but ultimately knowing it would be better if they lost at this point. What Markstrom is doing is really something though, he’s been on a tear for sometime now despite being used as a total work house with our two top defenseman out.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Yes most of us do but I am sure the Canucks have lots of power in this decision as well. Pettersson didn't look like his good old self in this game :-( but hopefully he will turn it around quickly (against other teams).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Noted that some posters earlier were down on Spooner, but from limited viewing he seems to have been reasonably effective in his three games here. Obviously a lot more speed and creativity that the guy he's supposedly replacing, Gagner, who was buried in the minors.

He can play on a scoring a line and slot into the second unit pp. Has a couple of assists so far, but has had some glorious scoring chances. I doubt he'll ever be a Selke Trophy winner on the defensive side of the puck, but then Gagner was basically a black-hole in his own zone.

Count me as being reasonably encouraged with his game. We'll see how he fares on a back-to-back tonight.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Noted that some posters earlier were down on Spooner, but from limited viewing he seems to have been reasonably effective in his three games here. Obviously a lot more speed and creativity that the guy he's supposedly replacing, Gagner, who was buried in the minors.

He can play on a scoring a line and slot into the second unit pp. Has a couple of assists so far, but has had some glorious scoring chances. I doubt he'll ever be a Selke Trophy winner on the defensive side of the puck, but then Gagner was basically a black-hole in his own zone.

Count me as being reasonably encouraged with his game. We'll see how he fares on a back-to-back tonight.
I quite frankly don't care how he plays since the guy he's replacing was playing for our AHL affiliate rival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad