GDT: Game 63: Kings @ Avalanche - Dethroned - 7PM

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I strongly believe they should have treated this contention period from MacK’s breakout to this season as all ins. They had 2 seasons there where they had significant cap space and did nothing with it. I’m just glad they managed to actually do something last year.
Sums it up nicely.

The Avs have been fools not constantly going all in during their only window in decades. Soon it will end and that was that. This period should be remembered as a missed opportunity even with the one cup.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This whole Landeskog thing is getting blown completely out of f***ing proportion. Bednar was absolutely just talking about this season and playoffs. He's not gonna come back as f***ing Andrew Ladd.
How is it getting blown out of proportion? He has had two operations on his knee over the last calendar year. This was supposed to keep him out for 12 weeks. It's been what, 22 weeks? And he's still not close to returning and Bednar even said he'd be lying if he wasn't a bit concerned.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Newhook facing 2nd line competition has been a disaster each time. If he’s there, the Avs concede that line big time and not just Compher bad… utterly caved in.
I still wouldn't mind giving it a go though. We're losing f***ing games anyways might as well start throwing shit at the wall and see if something sticks. Because Compher obviously is not the f***ing answer.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Jost, Newhook, Kaut, Bowers. Avs scoring depth was supposed to be their young forwards, none of which turned out. Maybe Foudy or OO reverse the trend, but total lack of drafting screwed us.
Hence why it's a colossal failure not trading that 1st round pick. The Avs can't draft worth a shit, there's zero reason to keep that pick and "reward" the amateur scouts for failure after failure.

That plus the last year of MacKinnon's contract and this season's TDL could not have gone any worse.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
How is it getting blown out of proportion? He has had two operations on his knee over the last calendar year. This was supposed to keep him out for 12 weeks. It's been what, 22 weeks? And he's still not close to returning and Bednar even said he'd be lying if he wasn't a bit concerned.
He also said it wasn't the same injury form last year. If it was something that was reoccurring then I'd be more concerned, but it's not.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He also said it wasn't the same injury form last year. If it was something that was reoccurring then I'd be more concerned, but it's not.
Even if it's not the same injury, the fact that it will basically take 2x as long to heal from this as it should have (if he's even 100% healed after 24 total weeks) is terrifying for his prospects of returning to full health.

Injuries and their recovery don't work that way. Something is wrong.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Even if it's not the same injury, the fact that it will basically take 2x as long to heal from this as it should have (if he's even 100% healed after 24 total weeks) is terrifying for his prospects of returning to full health.

Injuries and their recovery don't work that way. Something is wrong.
Are you implying that a player that had a setback on an injury never came back healthy again?

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
MacK, G and Georgie should walk through the dressing room and slap every other player. Except Malgin and LoC.
Slap Toews twice, once for each goal for which he is wholly and completely responsible. ( Though 2 were also entirely on Bednar, so I am unsure how one slaps one's coach.)

Reactions: sethro109

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don’t think it is helped by them being too patient, they waited until these guys lost all their value before moving them.
I think it's just that the Avs trust their scouting. If they like a guy they like a guy and they won't give that up easily. Helps them find value in players but also hurts them with being too loyal.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Nobody even knows if Landeskog will be healthy following his surgery let alone next season. You cannot bank on that.

MacKinnon is going to be making double the money next season, too. Manson is a year older. Compher/Rodrigues gone and likely replaced with worse players (even if Rodrigues stinks). Lack of NHL-ready prospects outside of J.L. Foudy who projects as a bottom six and more likely LOC type of player.

Shit is bleak. The Avs need to move on from one of Toews/Girard to help the forward corps and also need to move their 1st round pick for roster help.
An off-season will help Landeskog’s recovery not hurt it.

The Avs banked on Newhook and Rodrigues to be contributors this year and it hasn’t worked out. What if they make a trade involving Newhook and bring in a player similar to Erod’s contract that actually fits the team? Georgiev looks to be a true #1. EJ’s contract is off the books and won’t be relied upon. There are multiple things that you can do to a build around one of the best cores in the league.

Reactions: Vk1ing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Beyond the injury, Landy crossed 30… there’s always going to be some risk a player drops off. I’m in the camp of it being overblown, but there are legitimate reasons to be concerned. If he looks like crap in December… I’ll be very concerned. To me, it’s simply a wait and see.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Jost, Newhook, Kaut, Bowers. Avs scoring depth was supposed to be their young forwards, none of which turned out. Maybe Foudy or OO reverse the trend, but total lack of drafting screwed us.
Jost is playing well in Buffalo, we could use him right now not Eller

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
Can we put mack and rants back together. Atleast then we can be a 1 line team not whatever we were today lol

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
An off-season will help Landeskog’s recovery not hurt it.

The Avs banked on Newhook and Rodrigues to be contributors this year and it hasn’t worked out. What if they make a trade involving Newhook and bring in a player similar to Erod’s contract that actually fits the team? Georgiev looks to be a true #1. EJ’s contract is off the books and won’t be relied upon. There are multiple things that you can do to a build around one of the best cores in the league.
You’re not getting top 6 (maybe even 9) players (Avs need a few) for under 2m without giving up many 1sts. Just not the reality of the situation.

Avs have 13m to build out the roster and resign Byram. Even if the Avs found 3 ERods, they likely couldn’t fill the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad