GDT: Game 63: Kings @ Avalanche - Dethroned - 7PM

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
How is Tampa maximizing their cup window by losing 2 key players and overpaying for less impact player? They got someone name Perbix on their top D pair. Tampa is going no where. Look at their d core
Are you even serious?

Tampa has been the most succesfull NHL team for a while now. 2 cups + 2 finals losses since 2015.

They have done a brilliant job getting everything out of the contending window. It will look like crap once their core is done but at that point who the f*** even cares.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Its a roster issue but all saw that coming in September. We hoped that Landy would be back in January. That didnt happen. We were hopeful he might return in March. Doesnt look like thats happening. Then people were hopeful the Avs would do something at the deadline. They did nothing. It really does feel like a throwaway season.
This is spot on. It's mainly a roster problem.

If 29 doesn't backpack us, we pretty much lose.

Guys are typically trying they just generically suck or are trying to play out of position.

Examples Rodrigues is a 3W playing 2W, JTC is a 3C playing 2C, Lehk is a 2W playing 1W, LOC is a 4W playing 3W, I could continue but I think I've made my point. There are just simply too many guys playing above their skill set.

Landy and his injury has really f***ed us. CMac has f***ed us by not getting any help.

Throw inconsistent efforts by guys trying to play positions they aren't capable of and a shit load of injuries and you got this years team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Are you even serious?

Tampa has been the most succesfull NHL team for a while now. 2 cups + 2 finals losses since 2015.

They have done a brilliant job getting everything out of the contending window. It will look like crap once their core is done but at that point who the f*** even cares.
Has been successful yes. They’re not going too far this year though, not with Hedman regression and like I mentioned, their d core is pretty average now

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Its a roster issue but all saw that coming in September. We hoped that Landy would be back in January. That didnt happen. We were hopeful he might return in March. Doesnt look like thats happening. Then people were hopeful the Avs would do something at the deadline. They did nothing.

I agree the roster is lacking in the depth department, exacerbated greatly by injuries. But last night's roster was a solid NHL lineup. What's the excuse for getting punked by the Kings, the Devils, the Stars & the Kraken? Mistakes, yup. Plenty of 'em. But let's also follow thru on what Bednar is saying--an unwillingness to go out there with their lunchpails & hardhats, and outwork their opponents. It ain't a skill thing, it's raising your competitiveness to a high enough level to beat good opponents who are also playing with playoff intensity. I'm sorry, but a 2nd year expansion team shouldn't be able to come into Denver and pin the Avs ears behind their heads for 60+ minutes, yet they did! If the Avs can't "get up" for these games while scrambling for a playoff spot, do we really think they're gonna somehow flip on the afterburners and take off come playoff time? I wouldn't count on it.
It’s the art of the deal. Pay more for an asset to bank cap space..then don’t use said cap space. Some galaxy level thinking there.
It's 3D checkers!

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Has been successful yes. They’re not going too far this year though, not with Hedman regression and like I mentioned, their d core is pretty average now
Teams don't contend forever, the window slams shut eventually. Soon it will happen to Tampa, but at least they truly went for it when it mattered unlike the Avs.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

Bednar looks tired... Really tired.

"There is another gear"... "We have to want it more".....

Why should the players "want it more" when your GM basically packed in the season last friday....? :D :sarcasm: :cool:

giphy.gif

I don´t blame the players that much anymore or be too hard on them. They allready do whatever they can to drag this team into the playoffs.

Not a f***ing single game with nearly a healhty lineup, no real help from the bottom 6 or bottom 6 players who have to play in positions or lines they are not capable of (and get blamed for it), players been rushed back although not at 100 %... the list goes on.... That just drains you, especially our big guns who have carried this team so far. But they can´t do it all.

I really wonder what Mac thought last friday when watching this TDL-drama unfold. :laugh:

These players are not dumb, They knew very well they needed help. And then our GM goes out and trades for Lars Eller (and overpays) and Gustav Rydahl (??)

Make the playoffs, survive at least Round 1. At the moment and with that outlook I just can´t see a repeat. And everyone who might think the west is weak is in for a rude awakening.

It is what it is. Let the season ride out. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How is Tampa maximizing their cup window by losing 2 key players and overpaying for less impact player? They got someone name Perbix on their top D pair. Tampa is going no where. Look at their d core
The fact that you mention Perbix in a negative light just shows you how little you know or watch them.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Teams don't contend forever, the window slams shut eventually. Soon it will happen to Tampa, but at least they truly went for it when it mattered unlike the Avs.
Last I checked, recent cup winner were the Avs. I don’t even know what truly went for it means. You mean giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Foote for Jeannot?

Edit: don’t think I’d consider only getting Jeannot truly going for it. What Boston did, that’s truly going for it because they addressed forward and defense depth

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bednar looks tired... Really tired.

"There is another gear"... "We have to want it more".....

Why should the players "want it more" when your GM basically packed in the season last friday....? :D :sarcasm: :cool:

View attachment 666416

I don´t blame the players that much anymore or be too hard on them. They allready do whatever they can to drag this team into the playoffs.

Not a f***ing single game with nearly a healhty lineup, no real help from the bottom 6 or bottom 6 players who have to play in positions or lines they are not capable of (and get blamed for it), players been rushed back although not at 100 %... the list goes on.... That just drains you, especially our big guns who have carried this team so far. But they can´t do it all.

I really wonder what Mac thought last friday when watching this TDL-drama unfold. :laugh:

These players are not dumb, They knew very well they needed help. And then our GM goes out and trades for Lars Eller (and overpays) and Gustav Rydahl (??)

Make the playoffs, survive at least Round 1. At the moment and with that outlook I just can´t see a repeat. And everyone who might think the west is weak is in for a rude awakening.

It is what it is. Let the season ride out. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Bednar is exhausted, it's not hard to see. Dude has worked his his tail off to have us where we are. If we make the playoffs he should easily win the the Adams, he won't, but he should. Most team dealing with what we have dealt with would be in the Bedard sweepstakes.

This has just been one shit show after another this year. Constant injuries, constant minor leaguers, constant lineup shuffling.

Throw in an over his head GM who can't get us the pieces we need to be successful and it's quite the combo. 29 along with the rest of the team was visibly pissed off/discouraged by CMac's lack of moves at the deadline. It was apparent with how they played the day after the deadline in Dallas.

It sucks, but the reality for this team is maybe squeak into the playoffs and then most likely be on the golf course shortly thereafter.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
For next game, I want Matt Nieto eating nachos. He is playing like a coward going into puck races and board battles. He looks like he's afraid to get hit out there and slows down just enough to not get hit or not have to make a hit. I'd tell him that if he goes another game without crunching someone against the glass or taking a hit to make a play, he will have to sit out the next game. You're a bottom six checker, play like one. Otherwise you are useless.

I'd contrast him with guy like Malgin, who is a skill guy but plays his tail off and doesn't give up on pucks and is generally fearless despite his small size. I'd like to see him given a shot on Rantanen's line. He's earned it, although Rodrigues had a pretty good game so it'd be hard to demote him when he hasn't earned a demotion. Maybe move Malgin up the lineup for Lehkonen who hasn't showed much lately.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
For next game, I want Matt Nieto eating nachos. He is playing like a coward going into puck races and board battles. He looks like he's afraid to get hit out there and slows down just enough to not get hit or not have to make a hit. I'd tell him that if he goes another game without crunching someone against the glass or taking a hit to make a play, he will have to sit out the next game. You're a bottom six checker, play like one. Otherwise you are useless.

I'd contrast him with guy like Malgin, who is a skill guy but plays his tail off and doesn't give up on pucks and is generally fearless despite his small size. I'd like to see him given a shot on Rantanen's line. He's earned it, although Rodrigues had a pretty good game so it'd be hard to demote him when he hasn't earned a demotion. Maybe move Malgin up the lineup for Lehkonen who hasn't showed much lately.
Late in the 3rd Malgin was on a line with Rants and JTC. Bednar is seeing Malgin's effort and skill so perhaps he'll move him up the lineup on the regular.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The effort wasn't there tonight with too many cute passes. However I have to give it to the Kings. They played a very well structured game. I was amazed to see how many sticks they had in the lanes throughout the game. Their sticks were very, very active. Every time the Avs seem to be building on something they would have a stick in the way to kill the play and go the other way.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Kings would be a nightmare for the Avs in the playoffs from what I've seen from them this year. They play such a well structured team game which contrasts the Avs loosey goosey game they've played all season. I'm surprised Edmonton was able to take them out just last year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kings would be a nightmare for the Avs in the playoffs from what I've seen from them this year. They play such a well structured team game which contrasts the Avs loosey goosey game they've played all season. I'm surprised Edmonton was able to take them out just last year.
I’m not that surprised. McDrai can singlehandedly win a series.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Kings got shit goaltending last year. How far they go, or don't go will be determined by what happens in net. The team is actually quite good if Korpi/Copley hold up (which is an enormous weakness).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Edmonton took them out because the Kings goaltending stinks.

And for the record, it still does. Korpisalo is not going to magically become some playoff winning caliber goalie overnight.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Edmonton took them out because the Kings goaltending stinks.

And for the record, it still does. Korpisalo is not going to magically become some playoff winning caliber goalie overnight.
Korpi's one experience in the NHL playoffs lead to a 1.90 GAA and a .941 sv% over 9 games. I agree he's not that guy, but he had performed well in the playoffs before. Not outright impossible for him to do it again. The Kings don't need .920 to win games... if the simply get a .907, they likely can compete.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The Kings certainly know how to win 1-goal games and they were doing it with bad goaltending. If Korpi can give them just above average goaltending they could be dangerous in the playoffs.

Reactions: AvsWraith

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Korpi's one experience in the NHL playoffs lead to a 1.90 GAA and a .941 sv% over 9 games. I agree he's not that guy, but he had performed well in the playoffs before. Not outright impossible for him to do it again. The Kings don't need .920 to win games... if the simply get a .907, they likely can compete.
I don't put much stock into that bubble playoffs the same way I don't put much stock into the Avs dominant 21-22 regular season against scrub teams.

Kings are 1st round exit again this season.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Are you even serious?

He is saying they are done now and I have to agree

Reactions: the_fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't put much stock into that bubble playoffs the same way I don't put much stock into the Avs dominant 21-22 regular season against scrub teams.

Kings are 1st round exit again this season.

Just saying he's played well in playoffs before.

They certainly have a high potential to be a first round out, but if they get a semblance of decent goaltending, that team can win rounds, especially in the West. Odds are they are facing Seattle, Vegas, Winnipeg, or Edmonton. I'd favor them against Seattle and Winnipeg, toss up with Vegas, and certainly be an underdog against Edmonton.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs havent figured it out yet. The early season issues are still here in March. So many careless plays with the puck from good players. Mikko and Toews didnt want to play last night and it showed. The good news is Mackinnon extends his home streak and Sam Girard has another solid game and got rewarded with a point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
The Avs havent figured it out yet. The early season issues are still here in March. So many careless plays with the puck from good players. Mikko and Toews didnt want to play last night and it showed. The good news is Mackinnon extends his home streak and Sam Girard has another solid game and got rewarded with a point.
The Avs just haven't looked focused or quite frankly interested most nights this season. But I think a lot of that has to do with them winning the cup last season and realizing that with all the injuries they weren't winning the west or the division anyways so they are pretty much in coast mode until the playoffs.

Will they be able to flip the switch and get healthy once playoffs roll around? That's the big question. The way they are playing now isn't indicative of their true form IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad