GDT: Game 63: Coyotes @ Stars - 6:30pm - FSA, FSA+ - What A Ness We're In Edition

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Next 2 games are critical. I'm serious this time :nod:. Every loss drops our playoff odds with little time to make up ground.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I need to see desperation from this team from here on out. Nothing less than picking up 70% of points in the next 20 games (28 points total) will make me happy.

I thought that there were other times earlier on when we needed to turn on the desperation, and even picking up an additional point or two would have created enough separation to make the playoffs much more realistic.

I have to check the tickets, but I think I am in the lower corner where the Coyotes shoot twice, maybe 6 or 7 rows up. I expect to be "that guy" on the slow motion replay angle who stands up out of his seat as a goal is scored.

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I need to see desperation from this team from here on out. Nothing less than picking up 70% of points in the next 20 games (28 points total) will make me happy.

I thought that there were other times earlier on when we needed to turn on the desperation, and even picking up an additional point or two would have created enough separation to make the playoffs much more realistic.

I have to check the tickets, but I think I am in the lower corner where the Coyotes shoot twice, maybe 6 or 7 rows up. I expect to be "that guy" on the slow motion replay angle who stands up out of his seat as a goal is scored.

28 would be awesome, but 26 probably locks up the playoffs, while 24 might squeak us in.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Well, was at the last game against the Stars and got to see that meltdown... I hope they can get a lead and actually maintain it this time!

Definitely need to take care of business in the W column... with other team's schedules there may be some chances to improve the playoff picture.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

70% of points in the next 20 games? Get serious. Right now we sit at 55% for the season, so you expect us to pick it up to 70%. I like your optimism and hope you are right, but if I was a betting man I would pluck a good chunk on us being closer to 60%, or we could just as easily be less than 55%.:) Looking at the schedule, I think it will come down to our head to head games with teams in our division. It's up to the team now, no excuses.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, was at the last game against the Stars and got to see that meltdown... I hope they can get a lead and actually maintain it this time!

Definitely need to take care of business in the W column... with other team's schedules there may be some chances to improve the playoff picture.
I expect the Stars to try and intimidate us, just like last game. Should be a fun game.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
70% of points in the next 20 games? Get serious. Right now we sit at 55% for the season, so you expect us to pick it up to 70%. I like your optimism and hope you are right, but if I was a betting man I would pluck a good chunk on us being closer to 60%, or we could just as easily be less than 55%.:)

I am happiest in the playoffs. I think that 96 points is the magic number to get there. That is what I am hoping for. Doesn't mean I am going to be correct on that front. Just means that this is what I think is needed, and why settling for less than that likely means missing the playoffs.

Like I said, I still think that we have more in the tank than people may think, and there is still a good solid run in the team consisting of like a 6 or 7 game point streak (like 12 out of 14 points picked up).

@ DAL
@ STL
v TBL
v FLA
v BUF
@ VAN
@ CAL
@ WIN
v VAN
v NYR
v DAL
v VGK
v DET
@ LA
@ VGK
v NAS
@ SJ
@ COL
v VAN
v WIN

If we can get 4 points over the next 3 games, I really think we could put together a nice run starting with the Florida game through the game against the Rangers. The key will be going at least 5-1-1 in that stretch of 7 games against Florida, Buffalo, Vancouver (twice), Calgary, Winnipeg, and the Rangers. We also still have Detroit, LA, and SJ as well. If we go through those 13 games and get 4 + 11 + 6 (wins against the three bottom feeders), that puts the team at 21 points in 13 games and need a 50% point percentage in the remaining 7 games (1 Vancouver, 1 Winnipeg, 1 Dallas, 2 Vegas, 1 Nashville and 1 Colorado). It is possible, if not somewhat unlikely.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I am happiest in the playoffs. I think that 96 points is the magic number to get there. That is what I am hoping for. Doesn't mean I am going to be correct on that front. Just means that this is what I think is needed, and why settling for less than that likely means missing the playoffs.

Like I said, I still think that we have more in the tank than people may think, and there is still a good solid run in the team consisting of like a 6 or 7 game point streak (like 12 out of 14 points picked up).

@ DAL
@ STL
v TBL
v FLA
v BUF
@ VAN
@ CAL
@ WIN
v VAN
v NYR
v DAL
v VGK
v DET
@ LA
@ VGK
v NAS
@ SJ
@ COL
v VAN
v WIN

If we can get 4 points over the next 3 games, I really think we could put together a nice run starting with the Florida game through the game against the Rangers. The key will be going at least 5-1-1 in that stretch of 7 games against Florida, Buffalo, Vancouver (twice), Calgary, Winnipeg, and the Rangers. We also still have Detroit, LA, and SJ as well. If we go through those 13 games and get 4 + 11 + 6 (wins against the three bottom feeders), that puts the team at 21 points in 13 games and need a 50% point percentage in the remaining 7 games (1 Vancouver, 1 Winnipeg, 1 Dallas, 2 Vegas, 1 Nashville and 1 Colorado). It is possible, if not somewhat unlikely.
I think it'll take 94 points to get a top 3 spot in the Pacific, 91-92 to get a Wild Card spot. Other teams have games in hand, but also have more difficult schedules.

At this point, ensuring the Apri 4 finale against Winnipeg is a win and in scenario is all we're asking for.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
How can RT expect Hayton to develop, if he doesn’t play? I smell Dylan Strome all over again. God if this franchise could hit on just ONE draft pick for once.

I'm still not too worried about this. If we get into next season and he is sent to Tucson or sat, then yes it's time to raise the alarms. We know how RT is with winning lineups, and we've been winning since Hayton was called up.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think they probably want to start giving him shots at center but Richie and his line have been playing better than expected...not sure how long that’s going to last though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they probably want to start giving him shots at center but Richie and his line have been playing better than expected...not sure how long that’s going to last though.
It shouldn't have come down to this in the first place. They should have played Hayton early in the season until the cows came home. Now is the time to play the players you trust AND have proven they belong. The management have no idea how Hayton can or will play because they never gave him ice time. If they played him early he could have been our second best C, or he could have been our worst C. I sure would like to know way before the 62nd. game of the year.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
It shouldn't have come down to this in the first place. They should have played Hayton early in the season until the cows came home. Now is the time to play the players you trust AND have proven they belong. The management have no idea how Hayton can or will play because they never gave him ice time. If they played him early he could have been our second best C, or he could have been our worst C. I sure would like to know way before the 62nd. game of the year.
Yes - Tocc should know what he has at this point in the season, but his desperate, short-sighted decision-making has put him in a tough spot. From my perspective, the team he knows isn't going to get him into playoffs, but if they. He's got to roll the dice and give the kid a chance. Scoring less than 3 goals a night only works when your goalie is lights-out like Ranta has been the last two games. I doubt it's sustainable.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Guessing the plan now is to slot Hayton into the lineup after the deadline, assuming someone moves out.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Guessing the plan now is to slot Hayton into the lineup after the deadline, assuming someone moves out.

That's where I can't say that I know who it is that we may be targeting or looking around at, but it seems like Soderberg would be the most likely trade candidate from the perspective of getting Hayton in the lineup, if the cost requires a high-dollar salary going back.

A couple of other names to consider as cheap pick-ups:

Weegar (FLA)
Bowey (DET)
MacDermid (LAK)

Honestly, I wonder if we couldn't pry Bowey from the Wings. Bowey and a 2nd was the price for Jensen and a 5th. What about Bowey and a 2020 3rd round pick for Oesterle and Hinostroza?

Hall-Dvorak-Garland
Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Soderberg-Stepan-Kessel
Crouse-Richardson-Fischer

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Chychrun-Demers
Goligoski-Bowey
Ness-Lyubushkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad