GDT: Game 63: Coyotes @ Stars - 6:30pm - FSA, FSA+ - What A Ness We're In Edition

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Hayton doesn't play tomorrow, I swear to f*cking god Tocc, I will shit on your big bald head.
Pull your pants down, because I doubt we see Hayton this year unless we have an injury. The Hayton situation this year and the way he was utilized is nothing short of insanity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Look at all the teams higher than us in the standings. If their captain got boarded like OEL was tonight... Would there be no response? I think every single team that's good would step up against that. That means something.

Reverse the situation with OEL and Benn tonight, and Dallas would have absolutely steamrolled us for the rest of the game. Coyotes play with no emotion, no urgency, no balls.

There are more anti-leaders on the team than actual leaders. It's a miracle the coaches get them to skate at all.
You guys sound all doom and gloom. We need more physicality in the line up and we have known that coming on two years, we just have to send an email to Chayka and explain that to him. Also, I think better coaching would have got us out of our tailspin much quicker than RT.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
I think we actually played as good as we can last night. Against bigger/rougher teams we just can't compete. Other than Hall/Garland we have nobody with offensive talent that is willing to go to the tough spots. No emotion, not willing to get rough with someone. Chayka has built this team as a small, somewhat fast light team. Tocchet has always been a weak coach. No change in tactics/strategy during the game. It drives me nuts how many times our defensemen try to clear the puck out of the zone by passing it up the boards to the other teams defensemen. The two or three times that a short pass is made to the dot to start a break out is almost always done by Hall. The reluctance to bench Kessel, really hamstrings whatever line he is on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we actually played as good as we can last night. Against bigger/rougher teams we just can't compete. Other than Hall/Garland we have nobody with offensive talent that is willing to go to the tough spots. No emotion, not willing to get rough with someone. Chayka has built this team as a small, somewhat fast light team. Tocchet has always been a weak coach. No change in tactics/strategy during the game. It drives me nuts how many times our defensemen try to clear the puck out of the zone by passing it up the boards to the other teams defensemen. The two or three times that a short pass is made to the dot to start a break out is almost always done by Hall. The reluctance to bench Kessel, really hamstrings whatever line he is on.
You hit the nail on the head.

YYC

Feb 23, 2015
Hill played a good game but:
A) Didn't get any support from the 6 guys who are supposed to get the puck out of the zone away from him. OEL and Nicholas HJ. were both -1.
B) Didn't get enough run support. Chychrun had the most shots on goal by a player at 6. Kessel had 2. Hall had 5 and goal...but thats been the story since he showed up...he plays well and everyone else plays checkers.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
We were playing a lot better at this time last season, despite many injuries and no Hall. This has to be a concern.

Basic defensive mistakes are inexcusable at the end of February - although I will always forgive Chychrun because when he makes a mistake, it is always because he is trying too hard (and often to cover the ones who do too little).

Reactions: Surfshop

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
This type of response is why these hits will continue and the NHL DOPS is a joke.
The hits will continue because the league has softened so much it's now made up of a bunch of pansies. 20 year's ago Benn gets his punishment right then and there. They need to let the players police themselves which would hopefully bring back at least one guy per team who had some actual stones.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The hits will continue because the league has softened so much it's now made up of a bunch of pansies. 20 year's ago Benn gets his punishment right then and there. They need to let the players police themselves which would hopefully bring back at least one guy per team who had some actual stones.
Benn likely would just take the fight and consider it worth it to make the hit. He fights some of the heavy-weights too.

They need to re-evaluate these hits and their discipline before you get some wayward retaliation in a later game. I mean, in a way, this was already that. OEL had a penalized hit on Benn in their last matchup, I wouldn't consider that to be anywhere near this level either, and Benn retaliated at him in that game anyway, right towards the buzzer. So this was Benn retaliating again. This type of hit is not going to stop until there are some teeth with the punishment. Do we just expect some one to take a run at Benn or another Star next game? Because when the DoPS reneges on their duty, that's what you get.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Can only like this post once so I'm quoting it too. Chayka needs to figure out a way to factor in mental and physical toughness into his analytics. This isn't the freaking NBA.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Just getting around to the Benn clip this morning. If I am OEL or Tocchet I am more upset with this team than DOPS. Where is the backbone on this team? Just like the hit OEL took near center ice a year or two back there is no reaction from OEL's teammates. Having grown up in Michigan I cannot fathom this. Had Yzerman suffered either hit the culprit would have been beaten to a bloody pulp. Yeah, the game has changed since that time but there's no excuse for the Coyotes cowardice. You'd think they hate OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Benn likely would just take the fight and consider it worth it to make the hit. He fights some of the heavy-weights too.

They need to re-evaluate these hits and their discipline before you get some wayward retaliation in a later game. I mean, in a way, this was already that. OEL had a penalized hit on Benn in their last matchup, I wouldn't consider that to be anywhere near this level either, and Benn retaliated at him in that game anyway, right towards the buzzer. So this was Benn retaliating again. This type of hit is not going to stop until there are some teeth with the punishment. Do we just expect some one to take a run at Benn or another Star next game? Because when the DoPS reneges on their duty, that's what you get.
Benn is one tough cookie, but you have to stand up for yourself and your team mates. The Stars need Benn on the ice not in the box.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just getting around to the Benn clip this morning. If I am OEL or Tocchet I am more upset with this team than DOPS. Where is the backbone on this team? Just like the hit OEL took near center ice a year or two back there is no reaction from OEL's teammates. Having grown up in Michigan I cannot fathom this. Had Yzerman suffered either hit the culprit would have been beaten to a bloody pulp. Yeah, the game has changed since that time but there's no excuse for the Coyotes cowardice. You'd think they hate OEL.
OEL has taken more hits than anyone for this team. What this team needs is a Benn.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Benn is one tough cookie, but you have to stand up for yourself and your team mates. The Stars need Benn on the ice not in the box.
Oh I agree, stand up for your teammates with some physicality and push back, but you don't necessarily have to fight him if you couldn't hold your own against him. Just dash in there and throw something at him. The refs will let you get away with that or just toss 2 more minors per side after that kind of play at best. It's an opportunity to get something dirty in without really paying a consequence because your guy is laying out there flattened.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->