GDT: Game 62: Sharks @ Avs - Bite Back - 7PM

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Was reading an article about Makar's game and him being the first dman since Bobby Orr to get a goal, three assists and end the night a +5.

We've discussed Cale's ups and downs this season and while I think most of us can objectively say, this hasn't been his best season...the dude is still sitting on 50 points in 49 games played. In a down year, he's still a point a game player...as a freaking defenseman.

I've mentioned before just how crazy ridiculously blessed we've been with some of the talent that has played on this club: Andreychuk, Blake, Borque, Forsberg, Iginla, Kariya, Kurri, Roy, Sakic, and Selanne. That's just the guys already in the HHOF. And to think that when all is said and done, rosy cheeked Cale Makar (all 5' 11 3/4" of him) might be the best of the bunch.

Last edited:

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I hope he is fine, and I don't like to complain in general - especially after one of the most one sided victories you'll ever see - but gosh was MacDermid bad yesterday on the blue line.

He randomly had a few shots on goal, but all night he was constantly out of position. MacDermid isn't a strong skater in general, but in this game it was so bad that he reminded me of a dad at the local ice rink; i.e. a guy who hadn't skated in a few years and maybe his skates weren't completely sharpened, but he was sucking it up and staying on the ice for his kids. Maybe there really as a skate issue based on how he injured himself.

I thought that was one of his better games... which says A LOT about him :laugh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn't necessarily agree here. Judging by the past, the Avs tend to hold on to their guys and overvalue them for roles until it is completely clear they can't hack it. Especially the 1st round guys... they clearly held onto Jost, Kaut, and Bowers past the expiration dates and with Kaut and Jost, kept giving them chances. I really don't see why Newhook would be any different than Jost in this case.

If the Avs were that much worse than other teams with this like suggested, they wouldn't have traded Barron, Helleson, or Meloche at 20, or Beaudin or Kyle Wood at 19, before any of them even played for the Avs. They could have held onto Bigras and Timmins a little longer too.

All teams like to hold onto their prospects until the final year of their ELC if they can. Many hold onto them until their 2nd deal is up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad