GDT: Game 62: Sharks @ Avs - Bite Back - 7PM

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I feel for Andreas Johnsson—there is never a good time to get a concussion, but getting one in the third period of a game where you're trailing 6-0 is just awful. Don't know why JMFJ felt the need to clean him out with an extended elbow at that point in the game, I'd be furious if that happened to an Av in those circumstances.

You play the full 60 minutes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’m not convinced. I think more than a few solutions existed and they chose this route willingly.
I'm certain players were available, it's just a question of what the asking price was, and what the Avs were willing to part with. Newhook IMO would be nothing more than a secondary piece in any trade for such a player, the bigger futures would be the prospect/pick portion. If a trade could be centered around Newhook himself I think a deal already would've been made.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm certain players were available, it's just a question of what the asking price was, and what the Avs were willing to part with. Newhook IMO would be nothing more than a secondary piece in any trade for such a player, the bigger futures would be the prospect/pick portion. If a trade could be centered around Newhook himself I think a deal already would've been made.
I wouldn't necessarily agree here. Judging by the past, the Avs tend to hold on to their guys and overvalue them for roles until it is completely clear they can't hack it. Especially the 1st round guys... they clearly held onto Jost, Kaut, and Bowers past the expiration dates and with Kaut and Jost, kept giving them chances. I really don't see why Newhook would be any different than Jost in this case.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn't necessarily agree here. Judging by the past, the Avs tend to hold on to their guys and overvalue them for roles until it is completely clear they can't hack it. Especially the 1st round guys... they clearly held onto Jost, Kaut, and Bowers past the expiration dates and with Kaut and Jost, kept giving them chances. I really don't see why Newhook would be any different than Jost in this case.
Well, there is that, but if that was the case, why even bother trading for Eller?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, there is that, but if that was the case, why even bother trading for Eller?
He's cheap and allows them to move Newhook around. I think the front office really wants Newhook in that 2LW spot (or 2nd line spot in general), but Bednar keeps resisting it.

By past actions, the Avs tend to go down that route. Not that I agree, but they do have a tendency to hang on a bit too long to 'their' guys.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
He's cheap and allows them to move Newhook around. I think the front office really wants Newhook in that 2LW spot (or 2nd line spot in general), but Bednar keeps resisting it.

By past actions, the Avs tend to go down that route. Not that I agree, but they do have a tendency to hang on a bit too long to 'their' guys.
Newhook is a solid middle 6 tweener who can put up some offense. And play C if you're desperate. A poor man's JTC.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Not seems. Malgin is bringing more and if they Avs were totally healthy right now Newhook is riding the short bus and Malgin is playing.
I have watched a bit of the Avs DNVR coverage the last couple days and it's hilarious how defensive they, especially AJ, get of Newhook. Reminds me of when they had a cry session when Jost was traded. I get it, a lot of these guys are good dudes, but we're not creating a host club. We're a NHL hockey team and getting emotionally attached to mediocre role players is not something an analyst should do.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I have watched a bit of the Avs DNVR coverage the last couple days and it's hilarious how defensive they, especially AJ, get of Newhook. Reminds me of when they had a cry session when Jost was traded. I get it, a lot of these guys are good dudes, but we're not creating a host club. We're a NHL hockey team and getting emotionally attached to mediocre role players is not something an analyst should do.
Not surprising they would rather have Newhook on instead of Malgin even if Malgin is doing more to help the team right now than Newhook. That could change in a year but today Malgin is the more productive player on this team and deserves to play over Newhook.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Not surprising they would rather have Newhook on instead of Malgin even if Malgin is doing more to help the team right now than Newhook. That could change in a year but today Malgin is the more productive player on this team and deserves to play over Newhook.
Their specific reasoning last night for why Newhook has been so bad is that he is being forced to play on the "leftovers" line with Matt Nieto and Denis Malgin. Completely forgetting that not only did Newhook have to suck ass to be pushed so far down the lineup, but also looks like the worst player on a line with Denis Maglin and Matt Nieto.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
AJ has been one of the biggest Newhook tire pumpers. Each years he's ready to breakout and be a huge force, I mean just look at his skating!! I think Rudo has also been on that train too, but I could be misremembering there. To admit that Newhook (or Jost) are not what they thought is to admit they were wrong about something they have been very public about. It is human nature to get defensive around that. I'd say it is the wrong way to look at it as you learn far more from your failures if you actually try to understand it... but it is human nature. Plus, they really shouldn't be looked at as analysts. They are a glorified fan blog with media credentials. Which I think is completely okay and is frankly a better market to be in... but I'd never look to them for thoughtful breakdowns on the team or players.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not one person asked Bednar about MacDermid's injury (not that he would have given anything other than the typical canned "I didn't see it. I haven't talked to the trainers" answer).

Any update on MacDermid? I assume Captain Hunt will be called back up post-haste.

I hope he is fine, and I don't like to complain in general - especially after one of the most one sided victories you'll ever see - but gosh was MacDermid bad yesterday on the blue line.

He randomly had a few shots on goal, but all night he was constantly out of position. MacDermid isn't a strong skater in general, but in this game it was so bad that he reminded me of a dad at the local ice rink; i.e. a guy who hadn't skated in a few years and maybe his skates weren't completely sharpened, but he was sucking it up and staying on the ice for his kids. Maybe there really as a skate issue based on how he injured himself.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope he is fine, and I don't like to complain in general - especially after one of the most one sided victories you'll ever see - but gosh was MacDermid bad yesterday on the blue line.

He randomly had a few shots on goal, but all night he was constantly out of position. MacDermid isn't a strong skater in general, but in this game it was so bad that he reminded me of a dad at the local ice rink; i.e. a guy who hadn't skated in a few years and maybe his skates weren't completely sharpened, but he was sucking it up and staying on the ice for his kids. Maybe there really as a skate issue based on how he injured himself.

He constantly whiffs on the most routine of plays. Even the injury was a WTF moment, he was just hustling back to get a loose puck in his own zone and tumbled into the boards, which turned into a couple scoring chances for the Sharks IIRC. There is never a dull moment with him because you just never know if what he does will result in blown coverage, a turnover, or both.

He is without any doubt whatsoever in my mind the very worst player in the NHL this year. There could not possibly be anyone worse.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He constantly whiffs on the most routine of plays. Even the injury was a WTF moment, he was just hustling back to get a loose puck in his own zone and tumbled into the boards, which turned into a couple scoring chances for the Sharks IIRC. There is never a dull moment with him because you just never know if what he does will result in blown coverage, a turnover, or both.

He is without any doubt whatsoever in my mind the very worst player in the NHL this year. There could not possibly be anyone worse.
Without a doubt. ...and Jared chooses to play him on defense for some reason.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Avs get way too hung up on draft pedigree.

Jost starting PP1 straight out of college without earning that spot.

Picking up guys that were previously high picks just because (EJ, JJ, Galchenyuk, Yak, Grigorenko, Zads, Cowen, drouin soon). This actually worked with Nuke I’ll give them that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad