GDT: Game #62 Canucks host the Red Wings - 7pm PST

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Fair point lol, he does have his Bozo giveaways, but I’d also want him to have a shoot first mentality there compared to the half wall where he does make some dumb passes sometimes. Hughes would be the main decision maker at the half wall trying to feed Bo, Miller or maybe even cross-ice to EP

i was thinking last night, when have we ever had a guy on the point who will just blast it every time (and get it though consistently) without even thinking? like a rob blake or a shea weber or macinnis?

last one was aucoin right? i feel like it’s the same frustration even from the best sedin years, overpassing on the pp. but as hard as salo’s shot was and as sneaky good as ehrhoff’s ability to find ways to get his off, they weren’t elite point shots that by themselves you could run a pp through.

but man for that brief mid-90s blip we had two guys on the point with elite slapshots that wouldn’t think twice. jeff brown and also bure.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Boeser, Myers, OEL, hamonic and even horvat were not great last night.

Petan didn’t cut it either but wasn’t expecting him to be the answer either.

I thought garland was one of our best players, again.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It doesn't take too many players off their game to sink the ship. Boeser was flubbing everything, and for a guy whose thing is finishing plays he can't have games like that in a must win situation. OEL was shockingly bad as well. He looked like he was laboring out there, and couldn't find any space to make a simple play. Just threw the puck away all night, or held it until he got totally closed off. There were others who were not great but those two really stood out to me.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Disappointed. We are so one the edge right now. Personally, I want to trade anyone who we can cash in on big time. We have a few.

Would you do Hughes for 2 unprotected firsts, a decent prospect and a top 6 forward (or a top 4 dman)?

Any sane person would do that trade...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Games like last night's lackluster effort against the Wings just goes to prove the old adage....you can't 'make' the playoffs in October, but you can sure find a way to fall out of it.

Let's face it, every team in the league has a stinker like this one, once and awhile. It's just the nature of the beast. But when your margin for error is as fine as it is for the Canucks, every bad game feels that much worse. They went from being a point out of a wildcard spot, to three points out after just one tough game.

Maybe once this team gets past the trade deadline, the performances will even out. Seems to be a lot of guys squeezing their sticks right now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
anyone feel like the uncertainty of the trade deadline has boeser even more in his own head than usual?

rookie boeser could have been in the same place at exactly the same time all game and had a five point night. that 360 spin while losing the puck in the o-zone in the third, i mean wtf was that even?
I’m pretty sure he’s well aware Canucks nation is ushering him out the door. You can hear it through the broadcasts. The fans in the rink react to his bobbles like he’s to blame for Benning’s cap allocation.

Same thing as the bubble playoffs where he became the whipping boy once again.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
On a side note: Seider looks like the real deal. Him, Makar, and Fox could be splitting the Norris for the next decade.
It’s crazy how two years ago we were all giddy with excitement that we somehow had Hughes (future Norris guy) and Petterson (Mats Sundin 2.0) on our team on ELCs in the playoffs.

Now Hughes is no longer in the conversation with Makar and Fox. Petey is a 3rd line winger with Alex Chiasson.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Watching Petey bury the puck after the whistle then seeing Larkin start speed-bagging him with no resistance was a sad site to behold. Larkin was literally like wow this guy isn't even trying to defend himself, then just gave up and started mucking it up with someone else.

Boeser's game is really disappointing. Unless someone on his line is completely dominating and feeding him pucks he really just can't do anything out there.

Horvat... his limited skill set really does only let him do so much out there. If his toe drag ain't working he's got nothing much to give.

Need more from your best players

Reactions: December5th

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Interesting to note that it's all the young players who've been with the team for a couple of years that are struggling. I think Benning has simply crushed their interest and will to play. For a GM that targeted playing meaningful games as a way of keeping the losers mentality at bay, he somehow managed to destroy the will of his best players. Boeser, Bo and Pettersson look like a shell of their former selves. I won't be surprised to see them flourish on other teams.

I recall conversations talking about the risks of keeping an inept GM in place by year three of Bennings reign of error. How the problems he created would compound the time it would take to undo them and that if Fredo waited too long it would be a decade before we could expect any serious chance in the post season.

So it's looking very much like this will claim Boeser and Horvat at a minimum and given the terrible contracts the club is dragging around on very marginal players, a decade of futility is looking like the least amount of time before things really shift.

That said, it's been like living a dream actually pulling for the Canucks to win again. Can only evaluate the new management over a reasonable amount of time, but it's genuinely surprising they haven't moved any players off this team yet.

Reactions: GranvilleIsland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad