GDT: Game #62 Canucks host the Red Wings - 7pm PST

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The lack of depth really says something.. So we lose Dickinson + Hog, 2 top 9 forwards, but all of a sudden they are replaced with non-NHLers (Chiasson/Petan).

Motte couldn't replace the scoring of Hoglander. That helps in deciding to trade him if he can't provide that energy / scoring ability when our top guys (Miller/Petey/) are cold.

Detroit's Namestinkov is a free agent that Vancouver should look to sign. He's got a lot of pestiness in his game that could teach Podkolzin a thing or two. I'm focusing on our rookie because he's our replacement for JT. The team isn't a contender, but they are a tough team to beat no doubt.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Posted a similar idea earlier move Hughes maybe as the half-board puck mover with a shooter on point for pp certainly cant hurt more
Yeah, I’d like to see Hughes and Miller rotate spots sometimes.

Reactions: bbud

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It was somewhat encouraging seeing OEL's impact at the start of the year

but his regression is easily the most of any player on this roster.

Like he was top 6 on his "game scores" and impact early on, and he has been dropping like a stone for the rest of the season, and it aint slowing down.

He's not even top 13 on this roster anymore.
Im serious when I say this, this is like Loui Eriksson regression
I know a lot of people may not agree but from an underlying aspect it is really bad.

Reminds me of like an Overhyped IPO in stocks. Just a huge rise followed by a steady fall

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It was somewhat encouraging seeing OEL's impact at the start of the year

but his regression is easily the most of any player on this roster.

Like he was top 6 on his "game scores" and impact early on, and he has been dropping like a stone for the rest of the season, and it aint slowing down.

He's not even top 13 on this roster anymore.
Im serious when I say this, this is like Loui Eriksson regression
I know a lot of people may not agree but from an underlying aspect it is really bad.
He blows. He’s more of a #4/5 caliber dman that needs to be carried on a 2nd pairing or be the veteran presence on a 3rd pairing.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, I’d like to see Hughes and Miller rotate spots sometimes.
Miller is dynamic and all but the moment I see that he’s rotated to the point, I clench my chocolate starfish so tight because there’s a 50/50 chance it’s going the other way

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Miller is dynamic and all but the moment I see that he’s rotated to the point, I clench my chocolate starfish so tight because there’s a 50/50 chance it’s going the other way
Fair point lol, he does have his Bozo giveaways, but I’d also want him to have a shoot first mentality there compared to the half wall where he does make some dumb passes sometimes. Hughes would be the main decision maker at the half wall trying to feed Bo, Miller or maybe even cross-ice to EP

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Fair point lol, he does have his Bozo giveaways, but I’d also want him to have a shoot first mentality there compared to the half wall where he does make some dumb passes sometimes. Hughes would be the main decision maker at the half wall trying to feed Bo, Miller or maybe even cross-ice to EP

It would also change the pk against unfortunately Hughes really isnt a big threat to shoot and they know he has to pass so closing the lanes is easier be worth trying at least .

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hughes is only 22. Leafs defenseman cracks the bottom pairing at 22 and they have high hopes for him, as they should.

His game should only grow, It would be a terrible mistake trading him.
I think anyone is tradable for the right package. My question is what should that package be. I agree that Hughes and Demko are the most valuable assets we have. And Petey.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I think anyone is tradable for the right package. My question is what should that package be. I agree that Hughes and Demko are the most valuable assets we have. And Petey.
In my opinion, only chance they trade him is if they think it's a pick that will have a great chance in the Bedard sweepstakes in 2023.

Bedard is killing it, scoring more goals than McDavid at the same age, in a harder league. 40 in 49.

That kids going to give us and the rest of the NHL nightmares. I think he goes to Seattle.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Poor effort by far too many players. Teams' lack of depth was apparent and it's becoming ever clearer how the team is too dependent on too few players to carry the load.

Good

Demko - goaltending good at both ends. Given the goaltending could have ended 0 - 0 in regulation time if not for one bad bounce. Defensive breakdowns by the Canucks were far too frequent and Demko had to be excellent to keep them in it.

Garland - carried the offense. Time after time he created something only to have others flub them away. Was outstanding IMO.

Bad

Myers - looks done. Has lost what agility he had earlier in the year as the connection between his feet and brain has seemingly broken down. Just a tangle of sputtering arms and legs all game.

Boeser - does he care??? I'm saying he does but I can see where others would question that. Play on the PP was simply dismal. (finally replaced by Pearson). Shell of the player he was a couple of years ago. There is so much wrong here but most of it starts with his skating

Horvat - fell back to where he was earlier this season. Had dreadful time keeping his balance when he was receiving a pass and completely screwed up excellent chances set up by others. Back to looking slow and lacking much alertness.

Chaisson - sign of how depleted the team is, was that he is getting so much ice time. How is he sticking around the NHL????

Others

Petan - best game as Canuck. Shifts were he looked like he might contribute something.

Motte - play is falling off. Can only give so much. Line was decent but has faded in the last while

Miller - even though he got 3 assist last game, could see he wasn't as sharp as during the last month. Been asked to do too much and likely he begins to tire under the weight. Wasn't bad but couldn't get the team over the hump in this one.

Hughes - He was outstanding early in the season but that contrasts with his erratic present play.

Team has to be better than win one, lose one but, in reality, hard to see how we can expect more than that. Too many holes the lineup.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
As bad as this game was because it shows how middling this team is. Monday will be worse when we hang onto pending ufas for the playoff push.

I wouldn't bet on changes just on deadline day but think there will be moves at draft and ongoing my hope is they plan solid hockey moves be it for picks or players but get value and drafts to move this team forward with a plan and from what I read and hear they are not going to make knee jerk moves .

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
terrible dissapointing game. boeser... was god awful oel injured? too slow. garland was good tonight created chances and had some for himself. if they lose saturday.. bye bye to a few players.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
There's a quote from a Patton Oswalt stand-up set that reminds me of this forum "You're going to die mad and miss everything cool".

The Canucks have been on an exciting run towards the playoffs for the last several months that harkens one back to the 01-02 season when the Naslund core truly discovered themselves. And like 70% of the people here not only aren't enjoying it, they are actively rooting against it.

You're not a gm, your cynicism doesn't help the Canucks in any way.. Thinking you're the smartest one in the room because you refuse to take joy in your team winning is just...find a hobby that brings you joy.

On the topic of the game, Boeser has quietly been terrible most of the season, but he's obviously got a lower body injury. I can't believe how readily people forget that Boeser was arguably our best forward last season. I get that the qualifying offer is complicating and I'm not even saying that trading him should be off the table, but don't dump him because you're frustrated that an injured player isn't playing his best.

With that said, he did cost us this game effectively. He's a finisher and was set up with a really good chance 3 different times and failed to even register a shot on any of them. Not good enough.

Our achilles heel (other than the fact that we have 2.5 D who can move the puck even competently) is the fact that we are going to wear the tread off of Demko, Halak has been a spectacular failure here and it's tough to see for a guy who has had a great career. I read Bruins fans saying he was exemplary until the most recent season, but I didn't want to believe he could just lose his game, but it seems like he has. He probably gets one more game in the back to back before we hopefully acquire a 5th or something for him, and then can play Spencer Martin to rest Demko for a game here and there.

OEL has been considerably worse lately, but again it's got to be injury related. The thing is, in Arizona he had a tendency to get dinged up and it seems to take a stride from him that he can't afford to give. His hockey sense is brilliant-seriously some of the lines he takes and his quick decisions are just world class. But he is just fast enough to anchor a top 4 pairing when he is healthy. When he loses a stride it gets ugly. Love the player, fear the contract.

Not a sharp game from the team, but Boeser's inability to even generate shots from homerun spots was the difference along with Nedeljkovic's goaltending.

This means the bare minimum we can survive with is 3 points out of the next 2 games, and that's cutting it close. Don't like putting pressure on the team to defeat a dangerous Calgary team and then another team the next night, even if Buffalo is still just figuring it out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I wouldn't bet on changes just on deadline day but think there will be moves at draft and ongoing my hope is they plan solid hockey moves be it for picks or players but get value and drafts to move this team forward with a plan and from what I read and hear they are not going to make knee jerk moves .

Trading at the deadline wouldn't be a knee jerk move though.

We've had 62 games to evaluate this team and all too often when the team needs a win, like last night they just don't show up collectively.

The stellar goaltending of Demko and the career season of JT Miller and stretches of Hughes can't hide reality this just isn't a very good team.

Reactions: B-rock and racerjoe

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

hughes is our whole transition game. in 50+ years we’ve never had a player like him, not even close. his skillset is just about the rarest thing.

sure for the right price, but we would have to return that skillset back or i wouldn’t even consider it. imo, there’s nothing we could need more than quinn hughes back there. like i guess i’d trade him for cale makar.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
anyone feel like the uncertainty of the trade deadline has boeser even more in his own head than usual?

rookie boeser could have been in the same place at exactly the same time all game and had a five point night. that 360 spin while losing the puck in the o-zone in the third, i mean wtf was that even?

Reactions: supercanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad