GDT: Game 60 - Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres - Sunday, March 3rd, 2024 - 6:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Buffalo-NY.jpg

We all know that Buffalo is home to the Sabres and the Bills, but what other fascinating facts will we find about “The City of Good Neighbors” in the latest installment of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

Buffalo has been a pioneer in many aspects, not only in its architecture: Thanks to its proximity to the powerful Niagara Falls, it was the first city to feature electric street lights in 1886. The Hotel Buffalo (originally known as the Statler Hotel) was the first hotel in the world to have a private bath in each room, and grain elevators were invented in Buffalo in 1842. Buffalo was also home to the biggest office building in the world, the Ellicott Square Building, which opened in 1896 and held this title for 16 years...

electric-streetlight-buffalo.gif

The Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum is the only surviving historical carousel factory in the world still open to the public. In North Tonawanda there were once four carousel factories where thousands of carousels were produced. There are less than 150 all wood carousels left in the world. One is housed in The Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum...

the-kiddy-carousel.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt was inaugurated in Buffalo, New York and not in the nation’s capital. An inauguration that doesn’t take place in Washington, D.C. is very rare, and Roosevelt was sworn-in in Buffalo because President William McKinley was shot while visiting the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in the city. After McKinley died from his mortal wounds, Roosevelt was inaugurated as the 26th President of the United States in the Wilcox Mansion, which is now a museum dedicated to the inauguration and other happenings from that era. The beautifully restored mansion combines old and new by displaying exhibits from the Pan-American Exposition and offering some fantastic interactive features that make it fun to learn more about the inauguration and the events surrounding it...

Theodore-Roosevelt-Inaugural-National-Historic-Site_b3cea558-0807-56d1-04da434aa85168ff.jpg

This was one of the most surprising Buffalo facts I learned: In the early 1900’s, Buffalo had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the United States! That was around the time when Buffalo was an important railroad hub and stop along the trade route from East to West, plus the largest grain-milling center in the United States. When the St Lawrence Seaway was opened, replacing the Erie Canal as the most significant waterway in the region, and Amtrak rerouted trains to nearby Depew, the steel industry and grain milling declined and consequently, Buffalo’s prosperity dropped. But you can still see many of the millionaire’s mansions along Delaware Avenue, which was known as Millionaires Row back in the day...

Delaware-and-allen-1884.jpg

The electric chair was invented in Buffalo and created quite the buzz (pun intended) in the execution industry… if there is such a thing. Buffalo dentist Alfred Southwick saw his invention as a humane way of ending one’s life. The verdict's still out on that one...

dPIx-pN4Wnl2zXxdSkIyd60Ym20D7UlTnvEf_zLiHvqylyy9wFHYwDAp62zWgFkfb2rT4o5xt8eYV4yr6zMNJzSvJHiD4XHQNLJ9RgUFiv28o1hlhE0cALr24DdZzLFGWexXaT1KZhA03ZseM_rG4bHW8Xu1UNH62BFJp83uDW00QTyBvMM81iMGyAa2ZFIUWeKW3FCccyrfa-k6i9suyLF_4JNpejNDtxuWWwpjQddb

It is illegal to throw a snowball intentionally at someone's head in Buffalo...

attachment-gettyimages-1230766409.jpg

Due to state laws, a fine of $25 can be issued for flirting in public on a Buffalo street...

attachment-gettyimages-1322172011.jpg

Spittoons are required by law in every Buffalo business...

attachment-gettyimages-142975014.jpg

No summer days in Buffalo have hit triple digit temperatures, as the highest local temperature ever recorded was 99 degrees on August 27, 1947...

attachment-gettyimages-1338898391.jpg

Let's hope the Jets are “hot” tonight against the Sabres! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 10 Surprising Facts About Buffalo, New York, 19 Facts About Buffalo You Never Knew Were True, 57 Fun Facts You Might Not Know About Buffalo

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Another great GDT, Mac! I knew about the electric chair but all those other facts about Buffalo were fascinating. Great to get back to Learnding.

I don't know what to make of the Sabres, espy after last night's thumping of the Knights. On paper, we should have no trouble disposing of them, but on paper we have no business pumping in 5 third period goals on the Canes. Depending upon whose healthy or tired or taking the night off or fighting out of a slump, this one could go either way. Sort of like Bouncy Jane might at any moment.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

When, in happy return from Carolina’s gaze,
HF Jets ponder our “fraudulent” state
And shout to receptive heavens through the gathering haze
Regard the semi-pooped roster and curse our fate,
Cutting Schuffles and Croissant slack, more rich in hope,
Yo Jets summon strength, like them with pucks possess'd,
These Buffalo Wildebeest Tarts will fade upon gaze of thy scope,
With what I most enjoy a dissected ruminant beast
Away with dark thoughts of losses most despising,
Happily I glance through at this page, and my state,
Liken to the Electronic choirs at game time arising
From sullen ice, sing anthems at heavenly pace;
Ehlers’ sweet mitts remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thanks @macmaroon

Would like to see Nino go on a heater to take some heat off our top guys.

Go Jets go!

Trip update: We are in now in Kentucky, surrogate birthplace of young KFC.
Yeah I'd really like to see some consistent secondary scoring. Lowry, Nino, Names, Iafallo, Barron. We do have guys that can contribute outside of the big 5

I know Kupari has had a difficult season - I had high hopes for him but he's starting to give Vesalainen vibes :(

I still think this team is set up well to do forward pairs with interchangeable wingers.

I'd like to see Connor get some games with moneyhands.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Have to continue on from yesterdays third period and play 60 minutes and it's 2 points banked. Sabres slapping around F*** Vegas was entertaining, Jets slapping around the Sabres will be more entertaining. I guess we will have to wait on the lineup depending on who is sick, maybe Koal gets back in regardless.
I bet Perfetti draws in. I don't think 19 or 15 did much to scream keep me in the lineup

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Thanks @macmaroon

Would like to see Nino go on a heater to take some heat off our top guys.

Go Jets go!

Trip update: We are in now in Kentucky, surrogate birthplace of young KFC.
Safe travels back, hopefully you don't hit any inclement weather.

I bet Perfetti draws in. I don't think 19 or 15 did much to scream keep me in the lineup
Agreed saw nothing for either to warrant both in the lineup, prefer Gus to Kupari atm

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks Mac I really enjoy the trivia especially for a city like Buffalo that I know less about.

Hope our boys play with pace again today. Not easy to get up for B2B’s but it’s the same for both teams so here we go. I don’t really care about line configurations but yesterday Ehlers did energize the top line so for once an adjustment lived up to the hype. Hope bones learned a lesson.

Really loved how Names played yesterday, forcing that 4th goal with his insane hustle play which was a thing of beauty. Props to Chevy for all these high value depth pieces he has added on the cheap.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You work at night and do HFJets during the day. When do you ever sleep?
Lots of naps .:laugh:

Nice work @macmaroon Buffalo sure is like another northern winter haven!

Also known for:

View attachment 828617

Is one kinda shit storm speaking of storms

View attachment 828618

Here is another shit storm

Sabres take the cake for being the crappiest show in town though. Lets keep that tradition rolling.

GO JETS GO
:jets:jets:jets:jets:jets
Mmmmm , anything with Buffalo sauce is good.:nod:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
LB against who? UPL or Bug Eyes?

The Buffalo faithful want no part of watching Comrie play and the Sabres are "only" 8 points out of a playoff spot so they may run UPL into the ground trying to get in.

Was almost hoping F*ck Vegas would blow the Sabres doors off last night with UPL in so we'd get Comrie for sure. But as often happens in these cases we've been "goalied" in the past by a teams backup or even 3rd stringer.

As much as I like Bug Eyes if he's in I wouldn't mind the Jets just exploding for a barrage of goals against him with some Jets getting of the schneid.

Vilardi obviously still out since he's back here getting "further evaluation" which I don't like the sound of when one of Bowness's original comments was he'd hope Vilardi could play yesterday. Hopefully it's not serious but it does mean we really ought to be looking for a F that can score some, at the TDL, as well as a RD with experience.

So glad that to whatever extent Chevy was in on trying to get Lindholm he didn't acquiesce to the Canucks asking price but immediately got Monahan who I have always liked anyways. Hopefully he has a couple more tricks up his sleeve to get us ready for the playoffs.

Remember when Nashville were 20 points behind us? Only 9 now. We have games in hand on everybody but we need to be careful. We aren't there yet .

Go Jets Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad