GDT: Game 60: Habs @ Avs | Wednesday, February 17th, 6pm MT | Toujours en vie

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I love how badly they've turned on MaxPac this year. From the best contract in the NHL to a bum they all can't wait to be rid of.

That goal was on the great defensively play by Greg and horrific backchecking by MaxPac and co., nothing wrong with Subban's move in the offensive zone.

No one sane wants him gone.

Maybe they should also be upset at their Captain for doing literally nothing on that backcheck.

I am, that goal is on him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know we all rag on Martinsen but he did apply the body more tonight than I have seen him apply it in months. He has little skill but I would not mind him replacing McCleod eventually if he can iron out his kink.s .

He was downright mean last night. Was really getting under the Habs skin, it was nice to have that element for a change. He's got a ways to go defensively before he pushes McLeod out of a lineup though. It's still a pretty weak part of his game, and he has trouble getting pucks out along the wall.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That goal was on the great defensively play by Greg and horrific backchecking by MaxPac and co., nothing wrong with Subban's move in the offensive zone.

Nothing wrong is a stretch... Grigo made a nice play. PK should have dumped the puck in the corner since Grigo was that tight on him. PK can make the play he was trying a good chunk of the time, but there is risk to it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I disagree with the comments that Avs looked bad, they did in the 1st defensively, but they were clearly the better team in the rest of the game and offensively in all three periods IMO. I also thought that was an entertaining game, a lot of back to back counterattacking transition plays. Better than playing either the Blues or the Wild.

Grigorenko's goal was breathtaking, not only making that superb pass, but knocking the puck off of the Subban's stick like that. Just brilliant, but what the hell was Patch doing on that goal? Backchecking is good, but starring at the puck and not picking up a man is not. :laugh:

Beauchemin had another game in the 25:57 minutes, but 4:24 minutes of that were due to penatly killing time (EJ was second with 2:55, close to half of Beauchs). While Barrie had like 22 seconds or something like that. I understand that Tyson probably shouldn't be used on the PK, but I would be willing to take that risk to increase his minutes so Beauchemin doesn't get burnt out. Moreover, Bodnarchuk had 0 seconds on the PK, it just seems like a waste of space even if he's been better than Guenin and Redmond at times.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I disagree with the comments that Avs looked bad, they did in the 1st defensively, but they were clearly the better team in the rest of the game and offensively in all three periods IMO. I also thought that was an entertaining game, a lot of back to back counterattacking transition plays. Better than playing either the Blues or the Wild.

Grigorenko's goal was breathtaking, not only making that superb pass, but knocking the puck off of the Subban's stick like that. Just brilliant, but what the hell was Patch doing on that goal? Backchecking is good, but starring at the puck and not picking up a man is not. :laugh:

Beauchemin had another game in the 25:57 minutes, but 4:24 minutes of that were due to penatly killing time (EJ was second with 2:55, close to half of Beauchs). While Barrie had like 22 seconds or something like that. I understand that Tyson probably shouldn't be used on the PK, but I would be willing to take that risk to increase his minutes so Beauchemin doesn't get burnt out. Moreover, Bodnarchuk had 0 seconds on the PK, it just seems like a waste of space even if he's been better than Guenin and Redmond at times.

Bigras? Why wouldn't they use him on the PK

That is one of the best ways they could cut FBs minutes right now.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Nothing wrong is a stretch... Grigo made a nice play. PK should have dumped the puck in the corner since Grigo was that tight on him. PK can make the play he was trying a good chunk of the time, but there is risk to it.

It was a stupid play considering context. 2 minutes left tied against a non-conference opponent when you desperately need points. Dangling along the blueline while under pressure is simply stupid in that case.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bigras? Why wouldn't they use him on the PK

That is one of the best ways they could cut FBs minutes right now.

They did use Bigras on the PK.

It was a stupid play considering context. 2 minutes left tied against a non-conference opponent when you desperately need points. Dangling along the blueline while under pressure is simply stupid in that case.

Exactly.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I know advanced stats people love Subban and Karlsson, but I can't stand it when players like that take stupid risks at the wrong times during games because they think they can get away with it.

Every time I've watched Subban I've came away unimpressed, and the most notable times you see his name is usually when hes costing his team. This may be just because he plays like **** every time I watch him the 6-10 times a year though I guess.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Who lost minutes then? Obviously was not FB, those numbers seem similar to most games.

Beauchemin - 25:57 (4:24 PK)
EJ Johnson - 24:03 (2:55 PK)
Holden - 20:37 (3:05 PK)
Barrie - 19:43 (0:22 PK)
Bigras - 14:22 (1:22 PK)
Bodnarchuk - 12:57 (0 on either PK or PP)

Made a mistake, Holden had the second most PK time, didn't see that. Barrie had the most PP time at 2:17, but Beauchemin again was second with 2:05, while Johnson had just 1:31. I love Beauchemin, but he shouldn't be getting 2 minutes and 5 seconds of powerplay time.

Forward wise, Landeskog destroyed everyone with 4 extra minutes of ice time with 20 minutes, everyone else were between 12 to 16.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I know advanced stats people love Subban and Karlsson, but I can't stand it when players like that take stupid risks at the wrong times during games because they think they can get away with it.

Every time I've watched Subban I've came away unimpressed, and the most notable times you see his name is usually when hes costing his team. This may be just because he plays like **** every time I watch him the 6-10 times a year though I guess.

This is why I like Barrie much better. He doesn't get as many points because he plays 10 minutes less then them, but with the puck, he is so much smarter. You just don't see Barrie dangling around the point. When the puck gets to his stick, he either gets it to net or gets it out of danger.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
No, no, no.

I'm not talking about skills per say.

But Everberg when he plays bad he brings more to the table than Rendulic can when he doesn't have a good game.

I'd classify Rendulic as a top 6 AHL player with okay upside, while I'd consider Everberg a fringe NHL player with lower upside.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

There was definitely a risk to it, but it's the kind of risk you need your best weapons to take.

I'm not talking about skills per say.

But Everberg when he plays bad he brings more to the table than Rendulic can when he doesn't have a good game.

I'd classify Rendulic as a top 6 AHL player with okay upside, while I'd consider Everberg a fringe NHL player with lower upside.

That's a completely different argument. But Rendulic has a much higher skill level than EVB.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is why I like Barrie much better. He doesn't get as many points because he plays 10 minutes less then them, but with the puck, he is so much smarter. You just don't see Barrie dangling around the point. When the puck gets to his stick, he either gets it to net or gets it out of danger.

:laugh: wut? Barrie dangles like that in his own zone.

Subban is no Erik Karlsson.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There was definitely a risk to it, but it's the kind of risk you need your best weapons to take.

Late in a tied game I don't agree. In the second period make that play... Right then it was a lack of situational awareness. Montreal lost at least a point to it, maybe 2.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holden and Barrie weren't used as much yesterday. I think Holden's minutes have taken a small downturn to try and get Bigras more, who had nearly 15 minutes yesterday.

I've lost track how many times Holden has been beaten wide or through the middle in the last month, and let a guy break in alone on Varly. I think Roy and Farrish finally had enough after it happened again last night.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The whole media's "benching" of PK is kinda funny when there was only 2 minutes left in the game.

If we were down 3-2 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd and Roy decided to bench, say, Barrie in favour of Nick Holden or MacKinnon in favour Blake Comeau, I think we'd all be fuming.

P.K. leads the Canadiens in points. He made a mistake, but if you need a goal he needs to be on the ice for the final 2 minutes. Not sure why Therrien picked that exact moment to send a message.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
If we were down 3-2 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd and Roy decided to bench, say, Barrie in favour of Nick Holden or MacKinnon in favour Blake Comeau, I think we'd all be fuming.

P.K. leads the Canadiens in points. He made a mistake, but if you need a goal he needs to be on the ice for the final 2 minutes. Not sure why Therrien picked that exact moment to send a message.

Because MT's job is safe for now, so there is no downside, thanks to the vote of confidence from the GM. Benching PK there sends a message to the rest of the team that nobody is "above the law," and it supports the tank while giving the impression that they care. That message holds weight for a season or two, where he can point to it and say "I benched PK at the end of a close game, don't think I wont do it to you" when guys start tuning him out.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver

Because he has phoned it in, knows it's over, and didn't care about winning the game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

It's TWO minutes and he obviously was out the previous shift. Yeah I get you want him out there with the goalie pulled but still it's a stretch. I just still wouldn't use the term benched. And that happens here too where all of our best don't see the ice the entire last two minutes of a game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's TWO minutes and he obviously was out the previous shift. Yeah I get you want him out there with the goalie pulled but still it's a stretch. I just still wouldn't use the term benched. And that happens here too where all of our best don't see the ice the entire last two minutes of a game.

It happens here when Grigo gets taken off a line for a shift or two. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad