Post-Game Talk: GAME #60: Canucks 2 @ Sharks 3: At least our eSports team is off to a good start

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Western conference playoff bubble:

8. Minnesota - 85 point pace
9. Vancouver - 81 point pace
10. Arizona - 81 point pace
11. Colorado - 81 point pace
12. Chicago - 79 point pace

dear lord

It's like we're stuck in purgatory, even when we lose we can't even seem to climb the draft lottery rankings, and then when we do actually get the wildcard spot we fall out ridiculously quick.

:help:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even in a game where he's relatively quiet, Pettersson has a few shifts where you just shake your head in amazement. He stickhandles his way by three forecheckers, making them look foolish in the bargain. Then after gaining separation in the neutral zone, he slows the plays down in the O-zone to create chances.

But it's also his work on the defensive side of the puck. For a 165 pound kid playing one of the toughest forward positions in the NHL at center, he makes some dazzling defensive plays.

I know Bure was a mercurial skater and scorer; and the Sedins probably had the best equivalent of a 'pick and roll' play in league history.

But the Canucks have never had a player like Pettersson. NEVER. From an interest standpoint, he's basically salvaging the Canuck season, no matter where they finish.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
does anyone else remember when our defense was:

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Salo - Tanev

I miss the days where we had 7 top 4 D in the lineup, now we have zero

Honestly that's what we should aim for again if we can't get a true #1 Dman... at least if you have a whole group of top 4 D, you aren't handicapped as much if one or two go down.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Even in a game where he's relatively quiet, Pettersson has a few shifts where you just shake your head in amazement. He stickhandles his way by three forecheckers, making them look foolish in the bargain. Then after gaining separation in the neutral zone, he slows the plays down in the O-zone to create chances.

But it's also his work on the defensive side of the puck. For a 165 pound kid playing one of the toughest forward positions in the NHL at center, he makes some dazzling defensive plays.

I know Bure was a mercurial skater and scorer; and the Sedins probably had the best equivalent of a 'pick and roll' play in league history.

But the Canucks have never had a player like Pettersson. NEVER. From an interest standpoint, he's basically salvaging the Canuck season, no matter where they finish.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If we ever played the sharks in the playoffs we would get swept easily. Men vs boys. Don’t match up well at all

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
On the bright side, The fact that we made this such a hard fought game for San Jose, who are legitimate cup contenders tells me that we are close to being cup contenders as well. Much closer than most people think.

In the last month the Sharks lost 6-2 to the Panthers and 6-3 to the Coyotes. They must be close to contending too?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

This.

Very well said.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
As I posted in another thread, the lowest point total for a playoff team under the wild card format is 87...which was also done by Minnesota. Now they are poised to do it again.

If there's one franchise we want to emulate, it's definitely the....Minnesota Wild...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't see any case made not to protect Hutton and Stecher in the expansion draft.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Not that it really matters, but does anyone know who the Assistant Captains for this team are right now? Edler and Sutter are hurt, and Del Zotto is gone. Tanev is out as well. From the highlights I saw Horvat and Roussel have A's and Boeser doesn't. Who gets the 3rd one?

Horvat
Roussel
Gudbranson?
Pettersson?
Eriksson?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
My impression of the game is that the Canucks put forth a strong effort but whenever the Sharks wanted to pressure and control the play they did so.

C’est la vie. I didn’t expect much different.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What was that MacEwan fight all about?

Tried to rewind and see if something happened but could find nothing... Was this just a case of "Shall we proceed to tangle up in some fisticuffs?" "Oh indeedio we shall!"

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Did better than I expected considering we're missing Edler and Tanev. Don't think we got a pedal to the metal Sharks squad, though.

Still, it's much more fun to watch a young team with guys like Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Stetcher, Hutton, Gaudette and MacEwen all making contributions than it was to see the moribund bunch of oldsters and AHL fodder we were trotting out a couple of years ago.

Now we just gotta jettison the last of our anchor players and replace them with some guys that can actually play the game... and we might even be dangerous. Another lottery pick would be just the thing.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Not that it really matters, but does anyone know who the Assistant Captains for this team are right now? Edler and Sutter are hurt, and Del Zotto is gone. Tanev is out as well. From the highlights I saw Horvat and Roussel have A's and Boeser doesn't. Who gets the 3rd one?

Horvat
Roussel
Gudbranson?
Pettersson?
Eriksson?

Captain Bo, Roussel, and Beagle are all wearing A's at the moment.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad