Pre-Game Talk: Game 6 - Leafs at Habs - This time with fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
so that was exactly my thought, but when the covid rules, I'm pushing it having my dad, brother, and a couple friends. They have at least 10 people. Also is the age gap (which I have ZERO problem with). They are 20 somethings, we are 40 somethings, and my dad is a 60 something. Certainly in normal times it would be a great Leafs party. But that isn't an option. I know I'm going to feel awkward tonight.

I really think trying to split my cable line, and running a 50' cable over the fence to his yard, may be the best solution. I wonder if he knows what a cable splitter is, lol.
Are you going to lend him a cable box too?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He was on for an ~80 second shift, changing direction against one of the fastest skaters in the league.

While he's not fleet of foot, I wouldn't use that single instance as a measuring stick
No, but it doesn't help.

That's a situation where you give it all you've got -- and if that's all he's got then it probably won't be enough.

Maybe there's a bit more to give in there -- and if not, maybe they can teach him. Power skating lessons? Could that help?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Carey Price is overrated. He is just a good goalie, that's it. He is not stealing games or anything like that. He is just a good goalie that keeps his team in it, that's his job. I don't think he will be the difference to us if Leafs choke away this series.

Reactions: fahad203

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
dl.php

The only time in this series where “game flow” favoured the Habs was period 1 game 1. We trended down last game but overall we’re still better. Doesn’t mean jack over a short period of time, especially if it comes down to OT, but we should be able to win according to stats.

Anything can happen but Leafs just have to keep playing the way they do and hope for better luck.

Also....yes “close this shit out”

Eh I'd look at xgf not cf.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No, but it doesn't help.

That's a situation where you give it all you've got -- and if that's all he's got then it probably won't be enough.

Maybe there's a bit more to give in there -- and if not, maybe they can teach him. Power skating lessons? Could that help?
You'll see marginal skating upgrades at this point from basically any skater. They've all worked with instructors since childhood.

And honestly, that's a situation where basically all of our D are beat. His issue was not going off coming back up the ice. Byron is fast, he's forced to change direction and he's out of gas. They're both going to push, but ones a better, fresher skater moving in a direct line.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You'll see marginal skating upgrades at this point from basically any skater. They've all worked with instructors since childhood.

And honestly, that's a situation where basically all of our D are beat. His issue was not going off coming back up the ice. Byron is fast, he's forced to change direction and he's out of gas. They're both going to push, but ones a better, fresher skater moving in a direct line.
I don't know.

I'm no expert, but I've seen Dermott make amazing catch-up plays in that situation to avoid getting burned.

You don't often see a young defenceman get outskated like that. That's usually the job of the old veterans.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't know.

I'm no expert, but I've seen Dermott make amazing catch-up plays in that situation to avoid getting burned.

You don't often see a young defenceman get outskated like that. That's usually the job of the old veterans.
Dermott has caught players. Dermott has not caught faster players at the end of a long shift when they're fresh and taking the better route. This is where the situation really matters. It's not a 100m dash from the same position.

What's also interesting is that without Sandin were likely looking at Muzzin in the same spot, not Dermott, who is by far our worst skater and has no chance on the play. But that's a little unfair because the whole game changes with personnel swaps - so it isn't apples to apples

Reactions: Ciao

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How do you suggest I handle the following encounter I just had with my neighbour (literally 10 minutes ago)? (seriously, I need some millennials input here)

10am in the morning here. Just had the neighbour knock on my door....for the first time ever.

So this neighbour is behind my house. Our backyards (with a fence) line up with each other. He moved in last December. We hadn't spoken yet...

We have been watching many of the NHL playoff games on the back patio (when it's nice weather).

I have a cable outlet I installed in the garage. Works great.

Apparently millennial neighbour uses his dads cable account and uses a firestick (?) to access it. I'm looking at him thinking.....so?

Well, I guess we have a 50 second to 1 minute gap....and he had the nerve to ask us to either not watch the game outside, or keep it down, just so his crew didn't hear what was going to happen a minute in advance.

Now obviously the answer is to tell this little twerp to pound salt, and cheer louder than ever. But you know, Canadians, neighbours, we try to be decent to one another. But It's not like I'm going to stop watching outside, or stop cheering. Clearly this is a "him" issue and not a "me" issue.

But is there any way I can handle this in a more friendly manner? I was seriously considering seeing if those old school cable splitters were still available, and send him my cable line across the fence...but I think that's a bit ridiculous.

f***ing "cord cutting millennial cable thieves", lol. Can't pay for a proper TV service so you ask your neighbour to keep it down, or not watch it outside.

The nerve. :)

So he moves in wants you to change your routine?

"I'm special."

Exactly how loud do you have your audio?

If he was a next door neighbour it would be a bigger concern, but if you're just sharing a back fence ... how big are your yards? From deck to deck at my place would be about 60-70 feet.

Looking at both sides, is his request reasonable?
Are you disturbing your neighbours but they have been too Canadian to tell you?

Anyway, let's hope there is much cheering from both parties.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Looks like Foligno in.
WOOOP WOOOP SIRE!!! :clap: WE BE BOUT THAT!!!!!! AND WE BOUT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pumped: :amped: :moon: :sky: :rocket:

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!! HE FINNA THUG THAT THANG UP!! HARD! LIKE STILL TWERKIN!! WHAT!!

FOLIGNO A REAL KEY NOW SINCE TAVARES GONE FOR A WHILE STILL, Y*ALL GET IT I*M SURE!!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Can they put turbojets in his skates -- like the Jetsons?

Seriously, I just hope we see a bit more from him on the get-yourself-back-to-your-own-end plays next season. Otherwise it would be his Achilles heel, and other teams would prey on that. Like testing a weak right fielder's arm.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How do you suggest I handle the following encounter I just had with my neighbour (literally 10 minutes ago)? (seriously, I need some millennials input here)

10am in the morning here. Just had the neighbour knock on my door....for the first time ever.

So this neighbour is behind my house. Our backyards (with a fence) line up with each other. He moved in last December. We hadn't spoken yet...

We have been watching many of the NHL playoff games on the back patio (when it's nice weather).

Apparently millennial neighbour uses his dads cable account and uses a firestick (?) to access it. I'm looking at him thinking.....so?

Well, I guess we have a 50 second to 1 minute gap....and he had the nerve to ask us to either not watch the game outside, or keep it down, just so his crew didn't hear what was going to happen a minute in advance.

Now obviously the answer is to tell this little twerp to pound salt, and cheer louder than ever. But you know, Canadians, neighbours, we try to be decent to one another. But It's not like I'm going to stop watching outside, or stop cheering. Clearly this is a "him" issue and not a "me" issue.

But is there any way I can handle this in a more friendly manner? I was seriously considering seeing if those old school cable splitters were still available, and send him my cable line across the fence...but I think that's a bit ridiculous.

f***ing "cord cutting millennial cable thieves", lol. Can't pay for a proper TV service so you ask your neighbour to keep it down, or not watch it outside.

My household is on your side.

You're doing nothing wrong.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto

So if this millennial was using this Firestick in his downtown Toronto condo near Maple Leafs Square, would he get upset that the crowd outside cheers a goal before he gets it in his lagged feed?

Dude can watch his lagged connection from his front porch.

Or you can invite him and his millennials over to watch together. Just ask him to bring beers.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Wow, that's a tough one. Not sure what you can do really except take it inside. You may have to live next to this guy for years otherwise I'd just tell him to suck it up and wear earmuffs. He's the one with the unique situation, not you. Are you allowed to be watching the game under current restrictions? I.e., are these friends you're having over or just your family? You don't want him calling the covid cops on you.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Do you have PVR? If so the easiest option is to run the game on a slight delay yourself. It may even make it more fun that way if everyone is cheering together.

Personally I watch the game while watching the chat in here. No way that would be an option for me.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

We have to buy our houses at 900 k - 1.2 million + or rent, if you're over 33 you probably got the same house or nicer under 400 or 500 k .... We can't afford cable lol. That said, you obviously did nothing wrong. Good on you to try to help him anyways

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think that's a clear "No Guy."

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Guess they should have finished the Habs off a little quicker, like the Jets did to Edmonton.

That's a consequence of not having and employing a killer instinct.

Maybe if they had done it in 4. If they had wrapped it up in 5 on Thursday, I wouldn't have been surprised if Winnipeg-Toronto started tonight. I was expecting Sunday if we had won on Thursday and Tuesday if we won tonight because those start days would have given Rogers a Saturday night game. However with BOS-NYI starting tonight and TBL-CAR and VGK-COL starting tomorrow, starting the North final on Monday makes sense from the point of view of being able to alternate the series 2 a night.

Although it's gonna be interesting to see what they do with start times. If they intend to air TOR/MTL-WPG on the same nights as BOS-NYI, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Winnipeg games start at 9:00 pm ET (8:00 pm local) with the BOS-NYI games those nights starting at 6:30 pm ET. Perhaps what they will do for the TOR/MTL nights is start one game at 6:30 and one at 8:00 to cut down the overlap. But if the NHL really wants to do the double-header thing, I could them scheduling TOR/MTL-WIN to start at 9:00 pm every night. Then again, they must just figure that there will be little US interest in the North series and just live with the half-hour offset times like tonight. (TOR-MTL at 7:30, BOS-NYI at 8:00) which allows for coverage of the other game between periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad