Game #6 : Kings vs. Panthers - 10/13/13 - First Regulation Win!

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I've always hated the Flyers so I'm loving seeing them suck but their entire situation traces back to their acquisition of Pronger imo. Stupid contract for the most hated guy in the league, destroyed their room leading to the Carter/Richards disaster moves and it has been a continuous death spiral since.

As long as they make the playoffs and Kill the Penguins then I'm okay with them. Hate that team from Pit!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Bottom Six was very good today, Fourth line two games in row has been a stud line.

Nolan with another strong game.

Kopitar can't buy a goal right now :)

Frattin continues to disappoint me, he is just invisible.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
lol @ people saying Kopitar is "struggling". Do you actually watch the games? Go back and watch that play with Williams.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I actually wonder how often they get updated on weight and height or if it's just a function of when they come into the league, in which case I'd say that some of the particularly young players that come in can still grow a bit while they are in the league.

Solid win. Can't really complain about those shutouts.

Another garbage assist by Kopitar. :sarcasm:

500 career points for Williams. Awesome. :D

Kopitar is getting close to the mark as well.

KingKopitar11*

So who are we trading away, sending down, or sitting out now? :sarcasm:

To be reality, If Dwight King keeps his game at this level then he should stay.

At this point, Fraser and Stoll, maybe Clifford are the ones who I believe should leave. My personal opinion is that stoll has regressed a lot, regardless of that very nice pass.

Still hoping Frattin really improves. But I don't know, you dont see improvements.

but Overall the kings played a very smooth clean game. Really cohesive, and very sharp with their interception. 60 minute effort.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Was I the only one shocked when it was blatantly apparent that about 12,000 seats in that arena were empty?!

I've been watching this sport since 1986 and the only arena that ever came close to that lack of attendance would have been Minnesota around 1988 or so. Just sad, really really sad. If not for Bob and Jim talking about the "excitement" around the new ownership, I'd have sworn we'd see the Panthers playing out of Quebec next year. Pathetic!!! :shakehead

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Was I the only one shocked when it was blatantly apparent that about 12,000 seats in that arena were empty?!

I've been watching this sport since 1986 and the only arena that ever came close to that lack of attendance would have been Minnesota around 1988 or so. Just sad, really really sad. If not for Bob and Jim talking about the "excitement" around the new ownership, I'd have sworn we'd see the Panthers playing out of Quebec next year. Pathetic!!! :shakehead

Was at the game today with some buddies of mine who were watching live pro hockey for the first time, and there were entire SECTIONS with literally no one sitting in them. It's a shame cause the arena is a fine building.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
wow 3 pages of mostly postive things im shocked where are all the chicken little the sky is falling people
Well, I have to admit two things: first, I was profoundly alarmed by the state of play after the first few games, because all the problems the Kings had in the playoffs last year seemed to be still with us. That would make us a team that would probably make the playoffs without too much trouble, but that would not be likely to beat the best teams once we got there. So, yeah, I was worried. I still am.

Second, I haven't been able to watch the last couple games (maybe I'm contributing by not watching), so I can't really give much of an assessment. I will just quote two things from JFTC, the site that is doing the most sophisticated analysis that I know of.

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2013/10/13/4835250/kings-panthers-grades-and-analysis

1st pairing (Regehr - Doughty), Grade: B. Much like I wanted to separate Stoll from his group, I really want to split these up and give them separate grades. Doughty was excellent and as active offensively as he has been yet. He engaged in the cycle and jumped down low to create or almost create chances on several occasions. Regehr, on the other hand, was the only player on the team to lose the scoring chance battle. Florida had 6 chances at even strength and Regehr was on the ice for 5 of them. Doughty was only on for 4 himself. Not one play this season will encapsulate Regehr like him kneeling to stop a puck only to have it bounce by him and turn into a clear-cut breakaway for the other team. Robyn wasn't as outright atrocious as he has been at times, but he is not a top-pairing defenseman. Sutter is doing his team and his best defenseman a huge disservice by continuing to insist that he is. Alternatively, I'm beating a dead horse. Then again, Sutter is trying to ride a dead horse.

That right there is exactly what I'm worried about. We have a gaping hole on our top defensive pairing, and it's not going away anytime soon. Yes, Regher is the whipping boy at the moment, but I think it's well deserved. The guy's possession numbers are terrible, and they've been terrible since before we acquired him. The guy has "Coach's Old Buddy" written all over him, and Doughty's now dragging this anchor around all the time. Brutal.

Of course, there is hope, apparently:
2nd pairing (Mitchell - Voynov), Grade: A. I think Willie Mitchell is starting to recover. For a second straight game, opponents struggled mightily to create offense with Willie on the ice. His penalty was a silly one, but it was the only sign of rust in an otherwise excellent game. Voynov seemed much more sure of himself in this one as well. This pair absolutely crushed the opposition in shot attempts. Just a fantastic game.

This is great news. I was really worried about Mitchell those first few games, because he was painfully slow. Now, granted, two wins against bottom-tier opposition is no more conclusive than the early losses, so obviously we'll have to see how it goes for him. If he can get somewhere in the general area of where he was a few years back, then obviously that's a major bonus for us that I think will have cascading positive effects. It might even lead to Regher's demotion from Doughty's side, although then poor Slava would probably get stuck with him.

In any case, I still think we're going to be a frustrating team; I maintain that the assets expended on Regher, along with Bernier and any prospect another team wanted, would have been far better spent on someone really capable of being Doughty's partner. The guy doesn't have to be amazing, just solid, mobile, and with a good head on his shoulders.

Still, the past few games are encouraging. I hope the improvement continues, because I sure don't want to watch us struggle all year.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Well, I have to admit two things: first, I was profoundly alarmed by the state of play after the first few games, because all the problems the Kings had in the playoffs last year seemed to be still with us. That would make us a team that would probably make the playoffs without too much trouble, but that would not be likely to beat the best teams once we got there. So, yeah, I was worried. I still am.

Second, I haven't been able to watch the last couple games (maybe I'm contributing by not watching), so I can't really give much of an assessment. I will just quote two things from JFTC, the site that is doing the most sophisticated analysis that I know of.

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2013/10/13/4835250/kings-panthers-grades-and-analysis

That right there is exactly what I'm worried about. We have a gaping hole on our top defensive pairing, and it's not going away anytime soon. Yes, Regher is the whipping boy at the moment, but I think it's well deserved. The guy's possession numbers are terrible, and they've been terrible since before we acquired him. The guy has "Coach's Old Buddy" written all over him, and Doughty's now dragging this anchor around all the time. Brutal.

Of course, there is hope, apparently:

This is great news. I was really worried about Mitchell those first few games, because he was painfully slow. Now, granted, two wins against bottom-tier opposition is no more conclusive than the early losses, so obviously we'll have to see how it goes for him. If he can get somewhere in the general area of where he was a few years back, then obviously that's a major bonus for us that I think will have cascading positive effects. It might even lead to Regher's demotion from Doughty's side, although then poor Slava would probably get stuck with him.

In any case, I still think we're going to be a frustrating team; I maintain that the assets expended on Regher, along with Bernier and any prospect another team wanted, would have been far better spent on someone really capable of being Doughty's partner. The guy doesn't have to be amazing, just solid, mobile, and with a good head on his shoulders.

Still, the past few games are encouraging. I hope the improvement continues, because I sure don't want to watch us struggle all year.

No offense man, but after you said you didn't watch the last few games but then proceeded to dive deep your analysis bag coupled w/ quotes from JFTC, I stopped reading.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

What about:

AMart-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Regehr-Greene

I thought Greene was real solid in his own zone. Could be a real nasty pair with Regehr.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
No offense man, but after you said you didn't watch the last few games but then proceeded to dive deep your analysis bag coupled w/ quotes from JFTC, I stopped reading.
Thanks for the feedback.

It wasn't really my "analysis" that I was posting, just my continuing impression of the Kings: my concerns from the first few games, and what appear to be improvements in those areas based on a site that I think is doing the most rigorous analysis of the team's performance.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
What about:

AMart-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Regehr-Greene

I thought Greene was real solid in his own zone. Could be a real nasty pair with Regehr.
Greene and Martinez do well because they get the easiest minutes of anyone, penalty kill aside in Greene's case. They're nearly always paired against the opponents bottom six, and they get primarily offensive zone starts. Martinez may at some point develop beyond that limitation, but I think right now he's no solution to Doughty's need for the wingman. In my view, Muzzin is actually closer to being a useful partner for Doughty, but he's still not really there. Maybe someday.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Seriously there was more open seats than taken

Their fans on this site claim that the few sections near center ice on the side that the camera faces are all season ticket holders that have access to some VIP thing that includes free food, among other things. So evidently, half of these people never go to their seat.

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011

The part you didn't want to read says Regehr didn't break even in scoring chances.

Against an East coast team that didn't really have it together, he isn't going to cost us (though it's fortunate his fumble didn't lead to a goal). Doughty is good enough that he can make almost anything work, so the Kings management will probably take the OK games as a sign that Regehr should stay there. But the top pairing is not as good as it could be. With an ace like Doughty up there, it shouldn't have weaknesses.

In crunch time against great teams in the West, I don't want to see him there. The good news is that Mitchell is looking better all the time. We know for sure he can be a good partner for Doughty. I'm not sure they'd take him away from Voynov, but maybe...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad