Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Caps vs. Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I love how the usual suspects organized an OT goal. Carlson, Williams, Mojo and Kuznetsov all being questioned before playoffs started. Kuzy with a good game winning the key faceoff to Carlson. Mojo with 2 goals. Williams with 6 points in 6 games (including a pass for GWG).

Anyway. Caps were better this game. Didn't fold after AM's goal. Amped the intensity and tied the game. Were absolutely better (dominant) in OT.

This is a good win. Not getting to the G7 is a sign of something new! :D

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
TJ laying out reminds me of that old Gretzky story. To paraphrase he said it's when he first realized what it took to actually win cup. After the 82-83 series Gretzky, Messier, etc. walked by the Islander locker room after losing the cup. They expected to see the Islanders celebrating and drinking champagne but they saw them all icing their shoulders and knees. Gretzky credits that moment as realizing what it took to win a cup.

Oshie and company laying out reminds me of that story. Oshie is an UFA, yet he's laying it all out for this team. He wants this cup, these guys want this cup. Got to love it.

Let's hope. I believed all season they could win the whole thing but there were some ugly moments in this series. I'm praying they can turn it up to 11.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not going to say the Leafs are close to Pittsburgh but I think a lot of people are selling Toronto short. They have a ton of great forwards and just because they are mostly rookies doesn't mean they aren't very good. Their forward lines were incredibly deep (JVR and Marner, both 50+ point players, were on their third line).

Also while they lack a stud D Gardiner and Reilly are both clearly very good top 4 D IMO. Not like they are completely bereft of talent.

Looking forward to the next series.

Edit: also 9-2 and 88-74 need to stick together. Hopefully Alzner is back for Game 1 and can replace Orpik. I imagine a 27-22 pairing will be much better because it's clear Orpik struggles against fast teams.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, most of the game Leafs just dumped the puck. They had almost nothing going offensively. Barry and friends changed something (I can't point to due to my lack of knowledge).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Btw, most of the game Leafs just dumped the puck. They had almost nothing going offensively. Barry and friends changed something (I can't point to due to my lack of knowledge).

Teams dump the puck when the defense stands up and outnumbers the offense at the blue line. You take a speed team's speed away by getting the puck deep and not giving them transition chances. that makes them dump it in.

I expect that the Pens series will look a lot more like these last two games.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Carlson also doesn't have to drag Orpik's corpse around to be fair.

He looked atrocious while paired with Alzner the first 2 games.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Congrats on the win and thanks for teaching this Leafs team what it takes to win. I gained a lot of respect for Washington in this series. Best of luck against Pittsburgh and I hope you guys beat them

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
That was cool hearing the crowd burst into raucous GO LEAFS GO right after the game ended. Passionate damn fanbase.

So happy Caps don't have to play one more game against that squad. #34 is money huh. Very chill, too, even when he scores.

Jun 15, 2007
Put 27 and 22 together and give them 15 minutes a game.

Why does everyone named Brooks have to eventually suck and screw us over?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Congrats Caps fans better team won, really fun series and now I can start rooting for you guys and Ovie to get his cup, which as a Leaf fan has been a common spring hockey past time hopefully won't be next year.;)

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Leafs are going to be a threat in the East for a long time, honestly encouraging for the future of the sport. Good on the fans in the arena not turning on their young team, they know they'll be back next year no questions asked.

I also think that this series prepped us bigtime for the Pens, here's to hoping we have carryover from our domination in OT.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Classy organization guys.
Great praise for us from Trotz and Ovi.
They didn't need to but they are stand up guys in their interviews.
Many thanks and best of luck the rest of the way.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How are the Pens a better version of the Leafs? Who is their Matthews? Nylander? Marner? Komarov? There's no direct comparison with them at all.

Ever hear of Crosby? Malkin? Kessel? Hornqvist?

More to the point, the direct comparison is about their style of play. Both teams are aggressive in transition, built around effective forward talent that can score off the rush. Both teams attempt fast break offenses that utilize their speed. Both teams utilize mobility on their blueline to try and minimize the time they spend in their own zone, but can struggle when forced to defend.

If you don't see the comparison there, I question if you even watch hockey.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
To all the classy Maple Leaf fans, thanks for the kind comments and well wishes. It was a fun series. :)

Next year, the Leafs are going to be even more dangerous. Lou and Babcock know what they are doing. :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad