Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Agreed 100%. I was arguing earlier to trust the kids, that they needed their legs and their speed. Thankfully it worked out. Huge win for this franchise, as I said earlier.

Memory lane for me is long, and mostly bittersweet. First game on TV in the late 70’s, first game in person in the early 80’s, witnessed every playoff game ever (in some form), was at Landover for the Easter Classic, went to school in New Hampshire for the first run in 90 (and the pounding to the Bruins and their fans, witnessed a few of the 98 run live while traveling for my job at the time (lived in Bay Area, went to Jersey and VA).....and now watched this with my 5yr old daughter (my 2yr old was asleep).

Relish the moment everyone. It’s only happened 3x. Wow

Yep, its a lot of memories bottled up in this old brain. My first game was live at Cap Center in 1974, their first season. Lets just say that expansion team didn't play like the Vegas expansion team, they won 8 games that year. I remember the massive trade with the Habs in the early 80s that brought Rod Langway to DC and ended their losing ways. I remember cheering for Scott Stevens as a young fighter, he would smile as he pounded people, then the limo ride that sent him and others out of DC to go win Cups elsewhere. I lived in Boston in 1990, the first time they went to the EC finals, and got swept, my local buddies hounded me for months. All the 3-1 lets downs, the 4 OT games, eff the Islanders, on and on it went, perpetual hope and misery.

The last time the Caps went to the ECF, we were discussing it on Washington Post's "Talk Central", which disappeared for years. We migrated over to MsCapsFans personal forum, then ESPN's dreadful boards. For me the Jagr trade sapped my passion, as did moving to California. The Young Guns gave us all hope again, only to douse us with more soul crushing defeats, new and interesting ways to lose to teams you should be demolishing. I'd pretty much given up any hope. I fully expected the Caps to lose this series, this game, just like all the others. I watched with one eye on the PC, one eye on anything else, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

Turns out the Young Guns we really needed came from Australia, or 6th round picks from Sweden, or last minute call ups, that don't know any of this dreadful history. Instead of adding shipheads like Matt Cooke, Martin Erat, Dennis Wideman, or Kevin Shattenkirk, they added no names, kids, with no playoff experience, and they delivered.

Finally, I'm here to eat my crow on Ovi. I still have some beef with his overall game but he showed heart, commitment and most importantly, he delivered. Congrats to Ovi and the Caps, congrats to all you long suffering Caps fans also.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I can not be the only one who woke up this morning and checked their phone just to make sure it wasn't a dream?
I woke up, checked my phone to see Norwegian Airlines has canceled my flight to Milan that is in 38 days. I said to myself "eff it, the Caps won, I'll deal with this later".

Wayland

Feb 28, 2006
LeTang threw his stick before Kuzy shot. ****ing *******. Had we not scored there and didn't get a penalty shot, yeah the ole laptop may have paid the price.

I was wondering the same thing and hadn't really seen it brought up elsewhere. But that had to have been a must call penalty/PS for the stick throw if he doesn't finish... even in OT? Right?

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was wondering the same thing and hadn't really seen it brought up elsewhere. But that had to have been a must call penalty/PS for the stick throw if he doesn't finish... even in OT? Right?

Not if he got away with it - as play continues after a save. It was Pitt, in Pitt, and we have been stiffed aplenty. If you pause a replay, you can see it fly right in front of Murray while Kuzy still has the puck.

Otherwise, in my world throwing a stick at a guy on a breakaway should be an automatic goal. A penalty shot gives the goalie time to prepare, evaluate who it is, get the tendencies from the bench etc. A goalie can be more likely be caught unprepared / off angle on a quick counter in center. It would HAVE to be a penalty shot, and penalty, at minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Portable Mink

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I'm a Panthers fan. I've lived in Alexandria, VA for the past 6 years.

I always go along for the Capitals bandwagon experience in the post-season. Panthers never make it.

This is the first Capitals team where they are more than the sum of their parts. Playing as underdogs, they are free from the expectations and pressure.

Not sure how they will do against TB, but it should be closer than people think.

Ovechkin gets a bad rap simply because he is Russian. His post season stats speak for themselves.

Outside of the DSP on the first line decision, Trotz coach a great series.

Good luck in ECF guys, enjoy the ride!

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
From the Penguins board. Aww, I hope that thought helps him heal quicker.

“I think the reactions show a pretty stark difference in quality of franchises.

While we're shrugging off the loss and paying appreciation for our team, Washington can barely contain themselves after FINALLY beating us. If you didn't know the context and just watched the interview you'd think Ovechkin won the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, and World Cup all at once,not moved on to the 3rd round.”

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
From the Penguins board. Aww, I hope that thought helps him heal quicker.

“I think the reactions show a pretty stark difference in quality of franchises.

While we're shrugging off the loss and paying appreciation for our team, Washington can barely contain themselves after FINALLY beating us. If you didn't know the context and just watched the interview you'd think Ovechkin won the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, and World Cup all at once,not moved on to the 3rd round.”
Whatever. Salty tears are salty, and they’re free to bitch all they want on their own board.

To a person, the Pens fans who came by here have been gracious in defeat. Didn’t have to 86 anyone last night. Very impressed.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we can thank Letang for the series. He played like a nervous rookie in the most important games.

At least after Oshie DESTROYED him at the end of game 4.

Watch him on the SWG, why was he so close to the boards? Practically crashing into Dumo in game 5 and then looking at the ipad for answers, is one for the memory banks.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I think we can thank Letang for the series. He played like a nervous rookie in the most important games.

At least after Oshie DESTROYED him at the end of game 4.

Watch him on the SWG, why was he so close to the boards? Practically crashing into Dumo in game 5 and then looking at the ipad for answers, is one for the memory banks.

Might have been going for a change.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Might have been going for a change.

I thought of that, but Dumo was very wide too. And neither explain why he played as if Dumo was not out there in the now famous ipad incident in game 5. Guy was a mess. I think Oshie rocked his world.

Seriously I cannot recall what happened on that ipad play but think it was an easy goal, or maybe the Gersich breakaway?

Twitter agrees

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I thought of that, but Dumo was very wide too. And neither explain why he played as if Dumo was not out there in the now famous ipad incident in game 5. Guy was a mess. I think Oshie rocked his world.

Seriously I cannot recall what happened on that ipad play but think it was an easy goal, or maybe the Gersich breakaway?

Twitter agrees

The iPad play was Kuzy's breakaway in game 5 with Letang and Dumoulin on the same side of the ice looking like couples figures skating, I think.

Dumo was wide to hold the line for a dump on this play. Nobody was expecting a Crosby turnover in the precious five feet inside the offensive blue line.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Pens fan, but definitely recognize that you guys outworked us and Holtby was in god mode all series. Caps deserved this series.

Not a big fan of Wilson and Oshie (based on their cheap-shots) or Kuzy (mainly just because of that goofy eagle dance), but overall, I would be happy to see Ovi win a cup.
He does that bird dance because his daughter likes it.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Pens fan, but definitely recognize that you guys outworked us and Holtby was in god mode all series. Caps deserved this series.

Not a big fan of Wilson and Oshie (based on their cheap-shots) or Kuzy (mainly just because of that goofy eagle dance), but overall, I would be happy to see Ovi win a cup.
Were you a big fan of Crosby kicking Kuznetsov on his ankle with his skate last night which sent Kuzy to the bench limping and in pain. NHL show on Sirius this morning was talking about it and that it was one of the subtle cheap shots that Crosby seems to get away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad