Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Caps @ Pens | 5/7/18 | 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi had a strong shift to end the game. He had a great chance on the faceoff, stole a puck right outside their blue and forced the fateful final breakout, and then got the primary after collecting the S1d TURNOVER

It looked like we were in a 1 1 3, we had 3 guys lined up on our blue. Ovi was the 3rd guy back, yes along the right wing boards :yo:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
SWG the mirror image of game 5 GTG. Murray must be seeing Kuzy breakaways in his nightmares.

EDIT: Also, someone needs to do a controller disconnected on Malkin on that GM5GTG.

The Kuzy move is similar to Dale on his first OT goal for us. If you are going 5 hole, you need to go forehand backhand stretch the forehand - get the puck wide... it always makes the goalie open er up.

We need a brain disconnected on Letang. Oshie made him crack.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
@HandsomeTom43 What a helluva night we were wondering what happened to you. Your post midgame was priceless, sharing that even the Pens fans were laughing at the calls they get. We'll get that go fund me setup in case you are needed on special assignment late next week.

The Chiasson shift with 9 left in the 3rd was some the best ES passing I saw all year. Beagle came on fresh and Chase moved into the slot for a well earned quality chance. Cough Crester. I kid I kid he could have been 3rd star.

To give more detail to that end, before the game started I had some friendly conversations with fans around us, but after the game started the nervousness in the building was pervasive. Pens fans were afraid to breathe it seemed. After Letang scored, and the place went absolutely nuts, the fans started talking a lot more. I told my buddy I noticed atleast 4 hooking non-calls and some fans overheard and started laughing saying "we're used to it..." and laughed. A guy also compared it to NBA players getting star calls and how the Pens deserved to "play hard" because they have Crosby and Malkin and were the defending champs.

In the third the fans settled down to the nervousness again because it was apparent the Caps weren't giving an inch. Like I said, Lars Eller was pretty much the best player for the Caps, dude was an animal--him and Oshie really play similar games. Didn't notice the Crosby slewfoot when it happened but watching replays its clear as day. I was really scared Kuzy was legitimately hurt. When he took off I jumped out of my seat and it was hard to see the goal, but I saw the ref signal it immediately. I literally jumped into my buddys arms and we hugged. He then lost it started screaming "f*** YEAH, f*** THE PENS!!!!" And started flipping off the whole arena basically. It was hilarious but some large man took exception and I had to diffuse the situation. We went to the part of Pitt where most of the college bars are and had a good night.

Last thing I wanted to say about our bottom 6, they did NOT look out of place all game. DSP, Chaisson, the rooks, all those guys weren't intimidated and the played a steady game and got some good chances. I think for us to win it all we have to lean on all 4 lines, even if they are plugs lol. Patric Hornqvist is such a pain in the ass too, has no quit on any part of the ice and he definitely skirts the line, wish we had him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good stuff HT43... especially the nervous fans, breathing after they got a goal... back to being tense.

Apparently Tampa likes to hit the NHL TV guys are saying this will be a big adjustment for us after playing Pitt who are soft as butter. I am thrilled as I miss physical playoff hockey and maybe Tom can sneak a hit in without it being a huge deal like it would have been in game 7. This may be the first big test for Djoos.

NHL.tv saying the same thing as you, Oshie and Eller were total studs.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
They just showed the slew foot on Kuzy with 3 minutes left. What a dirty play its amazing with all the camera and eyes on him yet he gets away with countless cheats.

I believe that peNBC showed only the angle where the boards obscured the crime. Needed the CBC replay to see it clearly:
Screenshot (268).png

Sure looks deliberate to me.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What is Crosby trying to sell that as? Oh um I was just.... turning. Trying to get lower. He came straight at Kuz from behind. Kuz even moved away from him forcing him to awkwardly stick his leg out to trip. Years past he gets away with it and scores on us. Our playoff loses are littered with bizarre plays and situations.

If you aren't cheating you aren't trying hard enough. I think Dale said that. S1d seems to embrace some of Dales old teachings. I thought Dale did most of his little subtle cheats because he lacked elite skills. What's s1ds excuse.

Its f***ing awesome that Kuzy ended up scoring. Once every 20 years, we get justice.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Murray may have nightmares, and Letang may have headaches.

He was off after getting tangled up with Oshie, coincidence or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
I forgot Carlson clipped Murray right before the series winner. Caught a little piece of Murray's head and he dove like an Olympian on roids.

My son and I rewatched the game a night later and I had forgotten about this too. Also forgot how great of a scoring chance Carlson had there. He did clip Murray good but Murray definitely tried to sell it. Too bad they're not making that call in playoff OT unless its super blatant

Reactions: RandyHolt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I forgot Carlson clipped Murray right before the series winner. Caught a little piece of Murray's head and he dove like an Olympian on roids.
Credit to those refs, they made if very clear unless it was a blatant penalty that was directly impacting the outcome they were letting it all go. The boys on both sides managed themselves accordingly, nothing egregious but they played straight 1980s rules.

I mean even on the Kuzy game winner he should have had a penalty shot if he had missed, but there is no way in hell they were going to call it.

I wish more playoffs games were officiated like game 6

Reactions: calicapsfan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The contrast in reffing between Game 5 - combination of willful blindness to Pen chops to Caps hands + ticky-tack NHL game management tripe - and Game 6 was stark. And even the linesmen sucked in Game 5. Hopefully, it's the Game 6 crew that gets the Conf. Finals

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad