Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Caps @ Pens | 5/7/18 | 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Here's my initial thinking after looking at those lines. I think what Trotz does is mix and match with the rookies as he did much of the season on defense when Bowey and Djoos were both playing. They didn't roll 3 pairs. There was a lot of Carlson and Orpik and a lot of skipping Bowey and Djoos when their shifts come up.

I see Beagle between DSP and Connolly a lot. Basically rolling 3 lines with Boyd and Gersich getting occasional shifts plugged into one group or another

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Edit: @hb11xchamps beat me to it. Walker on the 4th line for Gersich. This one gon' be interesting.
I'm half wondering if he's just throwing around some gamesmanship toward Sullivan and co and not tipping his hand as to what he's going to do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Backstrom playing. I think adding Walker's speed and his annoyance could create some literal headaches for Pittsburgh. I know I'd be pissed seeing a little guy talking shit in an Australian accent!

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
With the guys they're missing, in Pittsburgh with the opponent desperate, and the Caps ability to not close out teams, they seem like a big underdog tonight. Philly beat NE in the super bowl when nobody thought they would so I guess there is hope but man this is going to be tough..

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
That's five rookies in the line up. One appearing on each forwards line and then Djoos along the blue line. Well, we shouldn't be slow tonight!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm half wondering if he's just throwing around some gamesmanship toward Sullivan and co and not tipping his hand as to what he's going to do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Backstrom playing. I think adding Walker's speed and his annoyance could create some literal headaches for Pittsburgh. I know I'd be pissed seeing a little guy talking **** in an Australian accent!

I don't think Trotz is known for subterfuge at this level. I can't imagine he'd do this just to misdirect the Pens. Maybe he truly doesn't know if Backstrom can play or not and this is what he'll roll with in the event that 19 is out.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That should piss off some posters who swear he’s NHL ready....

Barry needed a PKer. Not all players are created equally. Gersich should be on a scoring line in an optimal world and why some wanted him at 1RW. But Barry loves him some young scorers on 4. Don't let Barry's lines lead you to believe he is a grinder/PK type.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
twabbymd: If he broke his hand/finger/wrist wouldn't he have gotten an x-ray during the first intermission and ruled out for the rest of the game? Maybe it's just a really bad bruise and he'll get a ton of painkillers and they'll see where he's at tonight?

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
With the guys they're missing, in Pittsburgh with the opponent desperate, and the Caps ability to not close out teams, they seem like a big underdog tonight. Philly beat NE in the super bowl when nobody thought they would so I guess there is hope but man this is going to be tough..

According to what I read on Twitter the Caps are bigger underdogs in the game tonight than they have been in any game so far this season.

FYI for anyone that is super confident and also into gambling.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
According to what I read on Twitter the Caps are bigger underdogs in the game tonight than they have been in any game so far this season.

FYI for anyone that is super confident and also into gambling.

For a betting line? I'm sure. Most people are expecting this to go 7 and for the Pens to win eventually. Would take a lot of faith to bet on the Caps tonight for anyone other than a fanatical Caps fan.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That aint gonna happen. One of 13, 63 on the ice for every Crosby and Malkin shift? No
Sure they can. Gotta let that rookie/youth vs thing go.

Gersich isnt even playing, so...there is that. However, Walker is also a rookie/youth, so....

there are 4 rookie forwards playing *if* Backstrom is out. So unless they totally stack one line w just rookies, then they will be forced to play a rookie...

Vrana, Stephenson, Walker, Boyd. Pens will have a chance to pair it up any way they want.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure they can. Gotta let that rookie/youth vs thing go.

Gersich isnt even playing, so...there is that. However, Walker is also a rookie/youth, so....

there are 4 rookie forwards playing *if* Backstrom is out. So unless they totally stack one line w just rookies, then they will be forced to play a rookie...

Vrana, Stephenson, Walker, Boyd. Pens will have a chance to pair it up any way they want.

Stephenson has earned his spot as a defensive player and is established. Assuming Backstrom isn't playing, I expect Trotz to go mainly with 3 lines. Beagle with Connolly and DSP. The others getting plugged in for the occasional shift.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Stephenson adds defensive dimension to the 1st line. Also speed. That becomes our best line and best chance to score.

Vrana with Eller and Oshie is the next best thing Barry can do in case Backstrom isn't playing. This line can score also.

So there is some form of top-6.

Bottom-6 is easy. If Boyd doesn't handle it Beagle goes with Connolly and DSP/Chiasson and 4th line is rarely on the ice in ES. Kinda ok.

Winnable game. Just need good finishing tonight.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad