HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If they shuffle lines:

8 - 19 - 77
90 - 92 - 14
25 - 83 - 43
26 - 10 - 65

Let Bura hang around as offensive depth. He can be used if someone higher in the lineup gets hurt, or if they need to shuffle up the top six mid-game.

I think Winnik played well, but I also think Chimera can function pretty much the same as him, and I'm much more comfortable with Chimera's speed in a top 9 role.

Line numbers didn't matter as much in this series given they rolled four lines pretty equally for the most part. I'd be more tempted to put Burakovsky with Beagle and Chimera though - that'd give him the best offensively skilled forwards to play with, make the line speedier, and cement the fourth line as a full-on grinding machine. Still reluctant to break up Richards and Winnick though, and I'm not 100% sure Burakovsky's the problem.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
no. we freaked out right on point. the hole first round had to purpose to beat the demons. the moment they could not close a 3-0 series at home the demons won. u could make a case if they today shot the flyers out of the building like the pens did it with the rags; as u know they struggled but still won 1-0. now the caps need to play the pens while the demons are still on their back.

in order to beat the demons the caps must win a series in an convincing fashion or just get out of the second round.

The first round scares me the most every playoff season and also one of the most exciting in sports, at least for me. The 91 North Stars over Chicago/St Louis/Edmonton, 97 Oilers over Dallas. and of course our Caps past failures specifically 86 and 2010. One thing the Hawks and Kings did was give me hope someday teams like the Caps, Blues, and Sharks can win it all.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Mason for sure. This series was not indicative of his ability.

Correct. He has looked worn down since mid March, and with Neuvy injured he really couldn't rest during the playoff push.

Both he and Neuvy have major question marks in the endurance department, but overall Mason was better for longer this year. He crashed and burned at an inopportune time for his team, though.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 7h7 hours ago

Heals showed a collection of Schenn hits earlier in period. No question he launches into hits. No question DOPS is keeping an eye on it.

(Heals - Glenn Healey)

DOPS should have both eyes on it...I've suffered thru every game he's played in Philly and he 'leaps and leads with an elbow' almost every time. Fortunately, since Hexy isn't interested in signing him, hopefully the 3 yr trade bait they've been dangling will come to fruition...

And I think The Caps will fare better vs the Pens , who are better offensively but whos style isn't as grinding. also, if the CAPS put SOG's up against Murray like they did in game 5, he won't fare as well as Neuvirth.
And the Rangers don't have the depth at forwad the Caps have.

As good as they've been in the regular season the last 5 to 6 years , even winning divisional titles, the Pens struggle in the playoffs.
Should be fun, fast skating series, but the Caps will prevail.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was actually shocked at how little animosity I felt between the two teams and the two fanbases. Last year's series vs the Isles was way nastier. This series was surprisingly civil. I think there is a lot more respect between these two teams than between the Caps and Isles.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Weber got into a game - Barry's first lineup tweak sitting Chorney.

He was very aggressive moving up from his first shift in the offensive zone and at every chance after that; there is no doubt at this point he is doing exactly what the coaches ask of him. In just under 9 TOI, he tied for the team lead in blocks. Even in Bruce's prime here, I cannot recall him having his D move up this much, and rely that heavily on the F always in position coming back.

Which of course, kills ES offense. But its the way Barry rolls. After Orpik got injured, he clearly tapped Nisky on the shoulder.

I did see another tweak today, at some point we had forwards and Dmen interchangeable for a shift. I call it the Finnish5. This shift ft. F/D Karl Alzner. I wonder if we often try to do that, and just do not come close.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I was actually shocked at how little animosity I felt between the two teams and the two fanbases. Last year's series vs the Isles was way nastier. This series was surprisingly civil. I think there is a lot more respect between these two teams than between the Caps and Isles.

I think its because the series wasn't back and forth. We essentially wound up meat grinder the first three games, culminating in a very very embarrassing game three from them. After that we let our foot off the gas the next game, had a backup goalie stand on his head while his team played Hunter Hockey, and then we won this game. Islander's game was just a war.

I'm still worried about this team going forward. I'm not sure the play at 5v5 this series was from the Flyers sitting back or if we can really be that good when our switch is flipped. If its the latter, we're probably in for a good series against Pittsburgh (as long as Refs stay out of it) but if its the former (which is what I fear) we're in a lot of trouble.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm still worried about this team going forward. I'm not sure the play at 5v5 this series was from the Flyers sitting back or if we can really be that good when our switch is flipped. If its the latter, we're probably in for a good series against Pittsburgh (as long as Refs stay out of it) but if its the former (which is what I fear) we're in a lot of trouble.

They are the Washington Capitals. What about that would not worry you? Watch the games and see if they win. I have no idea. This series could go out in 4 games with either team winning as far is I can see.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's nice to see Ovi and Nick be clear difference makers in deciding games.

It's also no secret. More often than not, right behind Holtby, those 2 should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad