Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Caps @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Maybe we freaked out a bit too early.

Caps had more goals 5v5, had more shots, had more scoring chances, had a better PP, had a better PK, and had a better goalie overall in this series. If you look at the black and white at the end of this series - Caps did dominate.

The one thing we got upset about was losing 2 games to go to game 6. No team swept this year and losing one game I understand... but did they really lack killer instinct in game 5? They outshot Philly 44-11... It was one of the most dominating losing efforts I've ever seen.

Overall, maybe we are a little paranoid - but overall this Caps team did what they have done all season... win more than they lose... dominate over a stretch period of games... and Holtby is still the best goalie in the league right now.

Plus, look at some more bright spots... Kuzy, Burro, and Williams (half of our top 6) CAN'T be any worse next series...

Optimistic thoughts!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Soon as Neuvirth came in I was concerned.

He's good and had stuff to prove. 2 time Calder cup champion goalie. Not to be taken lightly.

Quietly I was thinking it's a great story. Of course when it came to Holtby vs Nevy, I would take Hotlby anytime as the starter. This series should open eyes to NHL teams he can play. I'm hoping Niskanen, Orpik, and Winnik have something to prove against the Pens, although Winnik technically doesn't count. I'm sure Richards doesn't have much love for the Pens either from his Flyer days.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Some fun facts for the people concerned about 5 on 5 play:

The Caps had a higher Corsi Close % than the Penguins so far this playoffs. The difference is the Flyers had a 5 on 5 sv% of .953 (second only to the Caps' .968) while the Rangers had a .912 (13th).

I think a lot of our ES woes come down to very good goaltending by the Flyers in 4 of the 6 games, and the Flyers getting really conservative from game 4 on. Any team can shutdown any other team at ES if they've got competent players and good goaltending, and they're willing to play a style that all but guarantees they won't be scoring at ES either. We saw that with Hunter hockey. Flyers went to the coin flip and got lucky twice. The Pens aren't gonna play that way, so I don't think there's any reason to worry that we're gonna keep struggling at ES. I'm optimistic that in a more open and less physical series, our 2nd line will be able to get going again.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
So were the Oilers.

Tbh the Flyers remind me more of Pittsburgh a few seasons ago. Remember when the Penguins had the greatest prospect pool of future NHL defensemen, thanks to Ray Shero?

Here's what happened to them:
- Maatta is actually good
- Pouliot couldn't make the NHL team this season
- Despres got traded (on the Ducks 3rd pair now)
- Dumoulin's on their 3rd pair
- Harrington got traded (in the AHL now w/Toronto)
- Morrow got traded (played 30 games for Boston this year)

Flyers look like they have a bunch of future top-4, maybe top-pair NHL defensemen, but let's wait and see how many successfully make the jump to the NHL. It'll probably be fewer than you'd expect.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
90 needs to replace Burro in the top 6 IMO.

I like the chemistry w/ Johansson and Backstrom. Wouldn't mind seeing them on a line.

Ovi - Kuzy - Oshie
Johansson - Backstrom - Williams
Chimera - Beagle - Wilson
Winnik - Richards - Burro

The first line played there best hockey this series and are finally clicking and you want to break them up?

The entire second line was horrid this series, kuzy was invisible and idk who was worse Williams or Bura.

Mojo deserves a promotion, id go

1st line
Mojo Kuz Williams
Chimera Richards Bura
Winnik Beagle Wilson

Wilson and winnik killed about a minute cycling the puck during the last 4 mins there. Strong big bodies and good defensively

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I've been greatly impressed by Winnick since we acquired him - such a hardworking, defensively minded player. He has great chemistry with Beagle, too, who continues to be a major pillar in this team.

I think to all intents and purposes, Beagle and Winnick should be on the third line and Richards and Chimera on the fourth. I didn't see any real offensive skill or potential from Chimmers or Richie all season long. I thought Mojo played very well - on the PP, of course, but also defensively. It's worth noting that Trotz trusts him a lot defensively to keep him out there, on the wing, in the last few minutes of a game to maintain the lead, like Richards, Oshie, Backstrom and Beagle.

Oshie - what a guy. He's done a heck of a lot this series.

Thank God the top line has woken up - we'd have been lost without them. Crazy to think Beagle has two goals and 65/92/14 have, between them, a single goal.

Wilson did tremendously well at being physical and defensively minded without heading to the penalty box. Exactly what we need from him.

In terms of lineup issues, I think the problem with Kuzy and Williams is they can't easily be moved down the lineup - for all the talk of that lines great possession time and Corsi scores, there's a reason they mostly get offensive and neutral zone starts. Trotz had no fears of putting Mojo on a defensively minded line, but I think he'd be more nervous right now with Kuzy centering one, or Burakovsky being on the wing.

How terrible does everyone think this lineup would be?
8-92-14
90-19-77
26-83-65
25-10-43

At ES I think Beagle is infinitely better than Richards, and this series Winnick and Wilson have both outperformed Chimera in most regards. The only other line id be at all interested in would be a 65-90-83 or 90-83-43 line. Credit to MJ that this series alone he's played 3RW, 3C, 2LW and 1RW. I maintain that only Beagle provides a similar level of flexibility.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Maybe we freaked out a bit too early.

no. we freaked out right on point. the hole first round had to purpose to beat the demons. the moment they could not close a 3-0 series at home the demons won. u could make a case if they today shot the flyers out of the building like the pens did it with the rags; as u know they struggled but still won 1-0. now the caps need to play the pens while the demons are still on their back.

in order to beat the demons the caps must win a series in an convincing fashion or just get out of the second round.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
no. we freaked out right on point. the hole first round had to purpose to beat the demons. the moment they could not close a 3-0 series at home the demons won. u could make a case if they today shot the flyers out of the building like the pens did it with the rags; as u know they struggled but still won 1-0. now the caps need to play the pens while the demons are still on their back.

in order to beat the demons the caps must win a series in an convincing fashion or just get out of the second round.

Agreed. Let's not forget we still only scored a single goal, and that was just barely at even strength. We're far from out of the woods yet.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Congrats to the folks here and to the Caps. After Couturier got hurt, I didn't think we'd push it to 6 games. It was nice to put a bit of a scare in, but I knew we were overmatched from the beginning. Hoping you guys take down the Penguins.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If they shuffle lines:

8 - 19 - 77
90 - 92 - 14
25 - 83 - 43
26 - 10 - 65

Let Bura hang around as offensive depth. He can be used if someone higher in the lineup gets hurt, or if they need to shuffle up the top six mid-game.

I think Winnik played well, but I also think Chimera can function pretty much the same as him, and I'm much more comfortable with Chimera's speed in a top 9 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad