Potential Season Ending Epic Double-Assed GDT: Game 6: Blues @ Perds: Blanick pwned me in this one edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I would say Pietrangelo, Edmundson, Parayko, Ellis and Josi were better. That puts him at 6th. Still, he is the media darling. If Subban and McDavid are both in the WCF, Pierre will have to wear a bib!

I'm confused as to what Petro, JBO and Parayko did besides turn the puck over. Other than Edmunson, there was no defender stepping up their game. I expect more from three top 50 defenders. Allen made them look far better than what they all played.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I just want to say that it has been a blast being a part of this Forum this season! I cannot wait for the draft!

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm confused as to what Petro, JBO and Parayko did besides turn the puck over. Other than Edmunson, there was no defender stepping up their game. I expect more from three top 50 defenders. Allen made them look far better than what they all played.

Why is it not surprising the one who "stepped up his game" in your eyes is a physical defenseman?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

It's easy to criticize when you are looking at your own team under a microscope. JBo's D was great this series. I wish he would have shot at the net more often instead of making those wide-of-the net shot / passes.

Nothing needs to be said about Pie. He played great. If you can't understand that tons of minutes against other teams best players in the playoffs will make you lose the puck once in a while then too bad. Pie was great.

Parayko looked tired to me. He also looked a little scared out there to me. He held his own though. Not amazing, but not terrible.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

If you are under pretty consistent pressure, then the defence is never going to look good. The goalie can look great in that situation, but you can always pick apart the defence.

The forwards didn't do enough this postseason, and when you look at the roster it is fairly obvious as to why.

Yeo needs to be the one to sit down and draw up roughly what he wants his lineup to be next season. While we might not need sweeping personnel changes, we do need changes in utilisation.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Why is it not surprising the one who "stepped up his game" in your eyes is a physical defenseman?

I don't know...he led them in scoring and was +12 in 11 games....Did JBo, Petro, or Parayko produce any numbers greater than their regular season average? sure their (predators) game plan basically shut down our D, but isn't that when your best players rise above? I'm just not letting them off the hook. Did our forwards not do their part? Absolutely. We did nothing to thwart their D from dominating the series. We pressured them, but they had a plan to offset it. We backed off their point men and they burned us for it.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

One mans 'stepping up' is another mans small sample size. Would you be saying this if a couple of his goals are saved instead of going in? I will take 136 regular season games as evidence of the kind of player Edmundson is over 11 playoff games this year.

And not to **** on Edmundson, he had a strong playoffs and adds a physical presence on defense. Im just not sure that his ceiling is all that much better than someone like Bortuzzo.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
One mans 'stepping up' is another mans small sample size. Would you be saying this if a couple of his goals are saved instead of going in? I will take 136 regular season games as evidence of the kind of player Edmundson is over 11 playoff games this year.

And not to **** on Edmundson, he had a strong playoffs and adds a physical presence on defense. Im just not sure that his ceiling is all that much better than someone like Bortuzzo.

Bortuzzo is at his ceiling in my opinion. He may get better but he is a third pairing guy. Edmundson has shown he can handle #4 minutes. That's already better than Bortuzzo. Ed also doesn't get injured every two seconds, so that is a big plus.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Ed is one of the most improved players on the Blues. All you have to do is rewind to last year's DZ pass that ended in a score. The reason he is so much improved is because he has totally bought into Coach Yeo. Now he plays hockey with much greater confidence.

I'm very happy with the defense and how they are playing. Yeo dramatically improved our D since taking over. The third pairing will always be fluid especially with our AHL depth. Our goalie situation couldn't be better with an awsome backup situation.

Ed has NOT reached his ceiling. Next season he will be played more on PP's and he will be more engaged in the OZ. Honestly, I doubt most of us saw his goal scoring ability until the playoffs. He has a compete level that was so much better this year. A "Dog and Bone"(Peter Laviolett) mentality. I kinda like how he went after SupCan in game 5.

Blues will find a 1C and we will dominate instead of get by next year. But, so will a couple of other teams dominate. Getting to the promised land requires a lot these days.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So I read both Steen (Duh) and Tarasenko have injuries requiring surgery during the offseason. But, as far as anyone knows outside the Blues both Perron and Berglund are healthy.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Pretty sad that Steen with a broken foot outproduced Berglund and Perron combined.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Pretty sad that Steen with a broken foot outproduced Berglund and Perron combined.

Yeah, Steen has always been a quiet contributor. He's never really looked at as a top producer, but he's consistently in our top 3 in the regular season in scoring, and is always a factor in the postseason. I know some people were critical of his signing, but he's less of a risk than some of the recent signings that have been dealt.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yak had surgery in the first round , Senko doesn't need surgery, but, has some lingering injuries.

Huh. Wasn't aware that science was able to perform a reverse-lobotomy these days. Hopefully Yak is better now. Our only other hope is that he's caught in a tornado and lands in Oz, and he's got a chance to meet the Wizard. Worked for the Scarecrow.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yak had surgery in the first round , Senko doesn't need surgery, but, has some lingering injuries.
I seem to remember Tarasenko taking a hard shot to his hand or wrist. Maybe he has broken bones and needs surgery on them? I also saw a couple articles that stated that he'd require surgery during the off-season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I seem to remember Tarasenko taking a hard shot to his hand or wrist. Maybe he has broken bones and needs surgery on them? I also saw a couple articles that stated that he'd require surgery during the off-season.

JR is saying Tarasenko does not need surgery, but there is a medical issue. I think it could be something like what you said. Maybe a rib injury too, the way he collapsed with that check which was mentioned earlier.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
It's easy to criticize when you are looking at your own team under a microscope. JBo's D was great this series. I wish he would have shot at the net more often instead of making those wide-of-the net shot / passes.

Nothing needs to be said about Pie. He played great. If you can't understand that tons of minutes against other teams best players in the playoffs will make you lose the puck once in a while then too bad. Pie was great.

Parayko looked tired to me. He also looked a little scared out there to me. He held his own though. Not amazing, but not terrible.

Definitely with the added pressure it effected all six defenseman's play. It was an excellent strategy for the Preds as we are so reliant on our D as the offensive catalyst to "start the engine", however it was also our strategy to pressure their D in numbers (overload one side on the forecheck). They made the adjust of reversing flow as Rinne also helped in that adjustment to buy their defenders time. Some of the criticism goes to not adjusting on the coaching level and some not being timid about taking a hit to make a play. That bothers me a bit about Parayko as the Tyler Myers comparison isn't too far off. I'm still of the opinion that Petro needs to just line up a couple guys at the right time and right instance just to let the entire league know don't come flying in or you may regret it. Pronger did it. MacInnis did it. Subban does it. You may not like Duncan Keith, but you sure are going to pay attention finishing your check on him. It sure seems like he and JBo take far more abuse than they should as a defensive unit. I really think that effected their play more than anything else as it wore on them so much to play their complete game where a guy like Edmundson thrives on the contact.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Yeah, Steen has always been a quiet contributor. He's never really looked at as a top producer, but he's consistently in our top 3 in the regular season in scoring, and is always a factor in the postseason. I know some people were critical of his signing, but he's less of a risk than some of the recent signings that have been dealt.

If I had to spend the cash to get a jersey, Steen would be on it. He epitomizes hard work, guts, and leadership.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Is Yak salvageable under Yeo?

He's a fast skater with good hands, but he's completely lost out there.

Maybe the Vegas/Moscow Knights will take him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I'm not sure it is really sad and I don't think it reflects nearly as much on Berg/Perron than it does on Steen.

Steen is an extremely solid player who is unquestionably a significantly better player than either of those 2. He consistently outproduces both by a significant margin and is paid accordingly. It says a lot to me that Steen's production wasn't reduced by a (double) broken foot, but that doesn't have anything to do with Perron and Bergie.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not sure it is really sad and I don't think it reflects nearly as much on Berg/Perron than it does on Steen.

Steen is an extremely solid player who is unquestionably a significantly better player than either of those 2. He consistently outproduces both by a significant margin and is paid accordingly. It says a lot to me that Steen's production wasn't reduced by a (double) broken foot, but that doesn't have anything to do with Perron and Bergie.

I can re-phrase it then to exclude the Steen comparison.

It's pretty sad that Perron and Berglund, who combined for 80 points in the regular season and take up $7.5M of our cap, managed to score 0 goals and 5 assists in 11 postseason games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad