GDT: Game 59 - CBJ vs NYR - 14 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The team significantly overachieved before the all star break given it’s talent level. This is the inevitable regression to the mean.
I agree as it relates to the Cleveland call ups. But the vets haven’t even reached the mean all season, but especially since the AS break.

Reactions: leesmith

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The team significantly overachieved before the all star break given it’s talent level. This is the inevitable regression to the mean.
Torts needs to be fined undeservedly once more for hockey gods to love Jackets again.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’d be curious to see man games missed per team the past 5 years . Seems like we always have a mass amount of injuries

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Let’s not panic though. We’re still in play off battle. We weren’t dominated in any of these games, just lacking offense

Look at our March schedule.

We’ll be in it to the end, probably, but with our injuries I don’t know if we get in.

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Oh well another game where scoring cost them the game. Difficult to swallow but this has been the pattern for a while now. It's disappointing but these are the players they have to roll with. Hopefully it's not too late when they start getting some healthy bodies back.

Boone Jenner is a decent player and he has a role on any team. But Torts over uses him. How many times recently has Torts pushed him out there in a crucial spot for him to lose a face off. Not blaming him for anything as I like what he brings to the table when he's allowed to play his game. Just saying.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
A ton of chances to finish, but lack of finishers on the club. Guys like Foligno, Gus and Milano need to score, but the well is dry at the moment. Thought the very young defense actually played well.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Saw them live. They sucked.

Only score off a broken play and toss at the net. The team lacks any sort of offensive impetus. NYR would pass from the corner to the point and have 2 forwards curl in for either the tip or the rebound. 1st goal against prime example.

As someone said earlier: regression to the mean. Been playing above our 1 goal/game stat for a while

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
A few things have become abundantly clear to me during this losing skid, and some of these points were true even when we were winning, but I largely ignored since we were winning.

1. Milano isn't an NHL player, and probably won't be under a Torts coached team. He's had some sparks here and there this season, but by and large he's been a healthy scratch or ineffective. He doesn't get the proper ice time for someone of his skill set, but in the odd circumstances he does, he doesn't produce. He's never going to be a checker, so playing him in a bottom 6 checking role won't work. I think they've tried to use him and Bemstrom (more on him later) in a kind of Gagner esc role where they could shelter him if the moment called for defense, but they could always send him over the boards on the PP because of his skill. However, unlike Gagner, Milano hasn't been able to keep things going positively. He hasn't been good at all since his injury, and his ice time suggests the coaches don't and won't trust him. If you consistently play less than probable AHL lifer in Gerbe (no offense to him, but ideally Milano should never play less than him), and get jumped on the depth chart from a kid from juniors, it doesn't spell well for your outlook on the team or in the league.

2. Bemstrom should have been sent back to Sweden. Obviously now with all these injuries, having Bemstrom is better than say having Macinnis, but by and large Bemstrom has been a complete flop. Yes, he got injured, and yes he isn't trusted by the coaches. But like Milano I think they wanted Bemstrom to be in a utility role like what Gagner was. Use him when you're down and need a goal, on a powerplay, or if other players aren't getting the job done. He's had some sparks, and I'm not going to give up on him yet (unlike Milano), but I think they were expecting young Bjorkstrand like goal numbers (around 10-15 goals) and ample amounts of PP time using his one timer. We've seen the one timer succeed one time, and that was in Vegas. For whatever reason, we never get it to players on the one timer in position to shoot. Panarin never did it here, or rarely did, and he does it all the time in New York now and Chicago before. Anyway, maybe the year of learning will be good to Bemstrom as he probably would have just dominated in Sweden again, but it is a bit frustrating when the coach preaches teaching and learning, yet the player who probably needs it most can't be trusted with any ice time. And to be fair to Torts, he hasn't really earned it either.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
man. that was my first game at NWA in almost 4 months. and what a snooze fest it was. the 3rd period brought some life. but an awful, awful game to attend (and i've attended hundreds).

this is random and I'm literally not trying to single him out but, I was just thinking about Robinson and how he signed a contract recently. I get it, he's nothing special and doesn't produce points at a PPG rate.. but I randomly was looking at his stats...

Eric Robinson's stats over his last 22 games:

1 goal.
0 assists.
1 point.

1 point in his last 22 games.

WTF

this team is sinking and sinking fast. we're starting to see how much Seth Jones really means to the squad. Tortorella clearly knows this team is starving for goals... (his presser tonight) "it's a big problem of ours. we're not scoring. we know that. we're trying. we're trying hard. we couldn't find a way to score more than one tonight". :help::help::help:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
DSL is right...we put almost 40 shots up, but theres no confidence to actually bury any of them...they're just put center mast and hope for some luck

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
man. that was my first game at NWA in almost 4 months. and what a snooze fest it was. the 3rd period brought some life. but an awful, awful game to attend (and i've attended hundreds).

this is random and I'm literally not trying to single him out but, I was just thinking about Robinson and how he signed a contract recently. I get it, he's nothing special and doesn't produce points at a PPG rate.. but I randomly was looking at his stats...

Eric Robinson's stats over his last 22 games:

1 goal.
0 assists.
1 point.

1 point in his last 22 games.

WTF

this team is sinking and sinking fast. we're starting to see how much Seth Jones really means to the squad. Tortorella clearly knows this team is starving for goals... (his presser tonight) "it's a big problem of ours. we're not scoring. we know that. we're trying. we're trying hard. we couldn't find a way to score more than one tonight". :help::help::help:
Goes to show you can’t get excited over anyone based on just a few games. My gosh, at one point some were claiming Robinson made Anderson expendable because he would fill his role. Obvious poppycock. He’s most likely at best a 13th foward.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad