GDT: Game 59 - CBJ vs NYR - 14 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's apparently a pair of three-game streaks on the line tonight, and we'd like for both of them to end.

Notes and projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Of Note
The Blue Jackets have points in 20 consecutive games vs. Eastern Conference foes (14-0-6). … Elvis Merzlikins has an 8-1-1 record in his last 10 starts with just 12 goals allowed and a .959 save percentage. He leads the league with five shutouts, all in the last 10 games. … Oliver Bjorkstrand has 11-4-15 in his last 13 games. … Gus Nyquist is two assists from 200 in his career. … Zach Werenski leads all NHL defensemen with a CBJ-record 17 goals this season. ... The Blue Jackets' penalty kill is 23-for-25 over the last 13 games. … Columbus is 6-1-1 in its last eight games vs. the Rangers and 3-1-1 in the last five in Nationwide Arena. New York won a 3-2 decision Dec. 5 in Columbus before the Blue Jackets' 2-1 victory Jan. 19 in Madison Square Garden.
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Nick Foligno - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Gus Nyquist - Boone Jenner - TBD
Nathan Gerbe - Riley Nash - Eric Robinson
Sonny Milano - Kevin Stenlund - Emil Bemstrom

Zach Werenski - Markus Nutivaara
Vladislav Gavrikov - David Savard
Scott Harrington - Andrew Peeke

Elvis Merzlikins
Matiss Kivlenieks

Scratches: Cam Atkinson (injury), Gabriel Carlsson, Joonas Korpisalo (injury)

Roster Report: Liam Foudy must return to the London Knights on Friday, so the team has an opening with just 11 healthy forwards on the roster. A roster move will likely be made Friday to fill the hole.

As far as I can tell rangers.nhl.com doesn't even have a news/articles section. Harrumph.

Scoresheet links (they'll work later tonight):
Game Summary - overall team info
Event Summary - player-specific info

Highlights of the Rangers' last game:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lilja recalled, Foudy down

Ugh I just don't get it.

If a guy like Nash or Robinson is hurt, then fine. Bring up a Lilja, Hannikainen, or MacInnis.

Foudy was brought up because we needed an offensive spark. Both Jarmo and Torts recognize this. Why not give one of the offensive kids (who even if they aren't ready, MIGHT spark something) a chance? From what I've read, TFW has been playing well down there. Why not him?

If the plan is to elevate a Bemstrom or Milano into a way more offensive role, then fine, Lilja is whatever. But if thats the plan and either one of them gets benched for one mistake or something close to that, then what was the point?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Need to bounce back tonight. Its weird, but I'm hoping we go against Lundqvist and not Georgiev or Shestorkin.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ugh I just don't get it.

If a guy like Nash or Robinson is hurt, then fine. Bring up a Lilja, Hannikainen, or MacInnis.

Foudy was brought up because we needed an offensive spark. Both Jarmo and Torts recognize this. Why not give one of the offensive kids (who even if they aren't ready, MIGHT spark something) a chance? From what I've read, TFW has been playing well down there. Why not him?

If the plan is to elevate a Bemstrom or Milano into a way more offensive role, then fine, Lilja is whatever. But if thats the plan and either one of them gets benched for one mistake or something close to that, then what was the point?

We had TBD in the lineup. It wouldn't take that much stitching to get him a jersey.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Ugh I just don't get it.

Agree totally. Last night many posted the loss of so many players now forces Milano to show whether or not he's long term solution. I agree and would put Lilja with Nash and Robby/Gerbe and put Milano with PLD and Bjork and Nick with Boone and Nyquist, using that trio against the Rangers top line and matching the PLD trio with preferred matchups.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Agree totally. Last night many posted the loss of so many players now forces Milano to show whether or not he's long term solution. I agree and would put Lilja with Nash and Robby/Gerbe and put Milano with PLD and Bjork and Nick with Boone and Nyquist, using that trio against the Rangers top line and matching the PLD trio with preferred matchups.

Not sure Milano ever pans out in Torts' "offensive system".

InfiniteElement

Jan 4, 2019
Ugh I just don't get it.

Watching last night's game, they mentioned since Foudy is still in the OHL (and probably something with age also), he HAS to play those games. So he's called up to play when he can, then gets sent back down to play OHL games.

Don't think this is a "we'd rather Lilja over Foudy" thing.

Reactions: KCbus

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Watching last night's game, they mentioned since Foudy is still in the OHL (and probably something with age also), he HAS to play those games. So he's called up to play when he can, then gets sent back down to play OHL games.

Don't think this is a "we'd rather Lilja over Foudy" thing.

no I know that. But we need someone to fill in for Foudy due to that rule, and I would rather it be someone who could potentially score a goal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Ugh I just don't get it.

The roster management is a bit...suspect.

Thurkauf and TFW have been on a tear recently. Lilja is quite literally the worst player we've iced this season by virtually every underlying metric. We don't need more bottom 6 players on a team full of bottom 6 players right now. I don't understand the reasoning. Torts said they needed a player with "offensive skill" and now they're recalling Lilja??

TFW is 6-5-11 in his last 12 games in Cleveland.
Thurkauf just came off a 5-6-11 stretch over 13 games.

Seems kind of...hypocritical?

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
In the 4 games Lilja has been back he is 1-3-4. So he has been a point a game. He has 13 points overall in Cleveland, just 5 behind TFW. He is also better defensively. I'm all for bringing up TFW, but he is just as small as Gerbe, and he probably still isn't quite there defensively, so that may offset any offense he brings.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
PLD has been pretty bad the last few games....maybe he makes up for his sloppy play tonight.

Breadman more or less won the game for the Rangers last night - hope he doesn't get on the scoreboard tonight.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
In the 4 games Lilja has been back he is 1-3-4. So he has been a point a game. He has 13 points overall in Cleveland, just 5 behind TFW. He is also better defensively. I'm all for bringing up TFW, but he is just as small as Gerbe, and he probably still isn't quite there defensively, so that may offset any offense he brings.

Lilja is literally the worst forward the Jackets have iced all season.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure Milano ever pans out in Torts' "offensive system".
I have the same question, but I’ll put this slight twist to it. Maybe you’ll call it semantics.

To me, it’s that’s Torts even heavier emphasis on defense asks from Milano what is the emptiest section in his toolbox. It’s especially pronounced this year and this stretch where Torts, rightfully so IMO, has demanded even stinger, error-free defense. That emphasis does make offense less free, relying more off opportunistic goals, and where game Sonny doesn’t fit. Maybe he won’t in another system either, though I think he might.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Lilja is literally the worst forward the Jackets have iced all season.
No doubt, offensively. He didn't get called up for offense, he got the call for his 4th line defense. They know what they get from him. Not so much TFW or Thurkauf. He needs to do his job on the 4th line, and the guys that are supposed to score need to step up. If they are good enough players that's what they will do. PLD earned his benching yesterday, and he needs to step it up another notch. Its unfortunate with the injuries, but the guys that are playing have to play better.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Hey all,
Just discovered these boards...where have I been?? By far the most active and informed hockey talk I've seen online. Also a huge CBJ fan, including season ticket holder. Look forward to joining the fray here even though I run on the quieter side.

With that, I'll say:
1. Go CBJ...hopefully the boys can bounce back from an off night and get two points.
2. I'm all for having TBD in the lineup if he can score a goal every now and again:)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hey all,
Just discovered these boards...where have I been?? By far the most active and informed hockey talk I've seen online. Also a huge CBJ fan, including season ticket holder. Look forward to joining the fray here even though I run on the quieter side.

With that, I'll say:
1. Go CBJ...hopefully the boys can bounce back from an off night and get two points.
2. I'm all for having TBD in the lineup if he can score a goal every now and again:)

Welcome to the boards!

Reactions: rotsbu

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Need to bounce back tonight. Its weird, but I'm hoping we go against Lundqvist and not Georgiev or Shestorkin.
Ranger coach has declared Shestorkin is their #1 goalie. Since we often get the back ups, I won’t be surprised if it’s the King or Georgiev.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hey all,

With that, I'll say:
Welcome to the land of fun, snark, pessimism and occasional optimism. Glad to have you aboard.

Reactions: rotsbu

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ranger coach has declared Shestorkin is their #1 goalie. Since we often get the back ups, I won’t be surprised if it’s the King or Georgiev.
Shesterkin suffered a minor ankle injury Tuesday night against the Jets. If he’s not playing tonight it’s because of that. Should be either him or Lundqvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad