GDT: Game 59 - CBJ vs NYR - 14 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Goes to show you can’t get excited over anyone based on just a few games. My gosh, at one point some were claiming Robinson made Anderson expendable because he would fill his role. Obvious poppycock. He’s most likely at best a 13th foward.
This is normal for Robinson. He would disappear like this in Cleveland. This team really needs some guys back.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
man. that was my first game at NWA in almost 4 months. and what a snooze fest it was. the 3rd period brought some life. but an awful, awful game to attend (and i've attended hundreds).

this is random and I'm literally not trying to single him out but, I was just thinking about Robinson and how he signed a contract recently. I get it, he's nothing special and doesn't produce points at a PPG rate.. but I randomly was looking at his stats...

Eric Robinson's stats over his last 22 games:

1 goal.
0 assists.
1 point.

1 point in his last 22 games.

WTF

this team is sinking and sinking fast. we're starting to see how much Seth Jones really means to the squad. Tortorella clearly knows this team is starving for goals... (his presser tonight) "it's a big problem of ours. we're not scoring. we know that. we're trying. we're trying hard. we couldn't find a way to score more than one tonight". :help::help::help:

But, But But....he's fast. :sarcasm:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A few things have become abundantly clear to me during this losing skid, and some of these points were true even when we were winning, but I largely ignored since we were winning.

1. Milano isn't an NHL player, and probably won't be under a Torts coached team. He's had some sparks here and there this season, but by and large he's been a healthy scratch or ineffective. He doesn't get the proper ice time for someone of his skill set, but in the odd circumstances he does, he doesn't produce. He's never going to be a checker, so playing him in a bottom 6 checking role won't work. I think they've tried to use him and Bemstrom (more on him later) in a kind of Gagner esc role where they could shelter him if the moment called for defense, but they could always send him over the boards on the PP because of his skill. However, unlike Gagner, Milano hasn't been able to keep things going positively. He hasn't been good at all since his injury, and his ice time suggests the coaches don't and won't trust him. If you consistently play less than probable AHL lifer in Gerbe (no offense to him, but ideally Milano should never play less than him), and get jumped on the depth chart from a kid from juniors, it doesn't spell well for your outlook on the team or in the league.

2. Bemstrom should have been sent back to Sweden. Obviously now with all these injuries, having Bemstrom is better than say having Macinnis, but by and large Bemstrom has been a complete flop. Yes, he got injured, and yes he isn't trusted by the coaches. But like Milano I think they wanted Bemstrom to be in a utility role like what Gagner was. Use him when you're down and need a goal, on a powerplay, or if other players aren't getting the job done. He's had some sparks, and I'm not going to give up on him yet (unlike Milano), but I think they were expecting young Bjorkstrand like goal numbers (around 10-15 goals) and ample amounts of PP time using his one timer. We've seen the one timer succeed one time, and that was in Vegas. For whatever reason, we never get it to players on the one timer in position to shoot. Panarin never did it here, or rarely did, and he does it all the time in New York now and Chicago before. Anyway, maybe the year of learning will be good to Bemstrom as he probably would have just dominated in Sweden again, but it is a bit frustrating when the coach preaches teaching and learning, yet the player who probably needs it most can't be trusted with any ice time. And to be fair to Torts, he hasn't really earned it either.

If it wasn't for all these injuries Bemstrom should have been sent to Cleveland on Dec 1. I don't think he deserved to be on the team this season at all. I was skeptical when I saw he scored most of his goals in Sweden from on timers on the faceoff dot like Ovechkin. How many one timers does this team ever set up? The team is trying to make him play a game he's not ready for.

I'm also over the Sonny Milano train. I just don't see him as a capable NHL player. He should be thriving right now with almost no offensive talent on this team and he can't bury chances.

Eric Robinson, don't get me started on him. He was kept up last year and did virtually nothing. The team failed to demote him at the trade deadline so that made him ineligible for Cleveland in the post season and he sat here rotting on the bench from March onward. They call him up this year and he scores 3 goals in his first 4 games and then they reward him with a 2 year one way contract extension simply because he is fast and has energy.

They sign plenty of energy and grit guys but have no forwards with any sort of capable finishing skill. Ultimately they have one of the worst forward groups in the NHL. Coming into the season I felt goaltending wasn't as big of a worry everyone thought and that he proven to be true. Goal scoring was the biggest concern and it has never been addressed and all of the rookies who were brought in to pick up the slack could ultimately end up being busts. It was a mistake from day one to count on unproven NHL players to provide offense.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
man. that was my first game at NWA in almost 4 months. and what a snooze fest it was. the 3rd period brought some life. but an awful, awful game to attend (and i've attended hundreds).

this is random and I'm literally not trying to single him out but, I was just thinking about Robinson and how he signed a contract recently. I get it, he's nothing special and doesn't produce points at a PPG rate.. but I randomly was looking at his stats...

Eric Robinson's stats over his last 22 games:

1 goal.
0 assists.
1 point.

1 point in his last 22 games.

WTF

this team is sinking and sinking fast. we're starting to see how much Seth Jones really means to the squad. Tortorella clearly knows this team is starving for goals... (his presser tonight) "it's a big problem of ours. we're not scoring. we know that. we're trying. we're trying hard. we couldn't find a way to score more than one tonight". :help::help::help:

The thing is Robinson is fine for a 4th line energy role. He's fast, not afraid to drive the net and be a physical presence, good forechecker, and can contribute offensively a little bit. But people need to stop pretending he's Josh Anderson or will be Anderson. He's not even close.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Unfortunately, I agree on Milano, Bemstrom and Robinson. Why Robinson was given a two year deal is beyond me. Jarmo seems determined to stock this team with nonperforming offensive players. As the carriage turns into a pumpkin, the blame should be squarely on Jarmo for assuming that Benstrom and Texier would prosper in an offensive role as rookies.
t
Torts has done a great job trying to win with very little offensive talent. But the blame for the situation should be on the GM who has allowed this situation to develop.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Not scoring on that double minor PP was a killer. Gotta pot at least one there.

I'm not making excuses for the guys, but they've got be gassed after playing five games in eight days. Every team has to go through that kind of pace at some in the season, so maybe it's the Jackets' turn to take their lumps now like every other team will have to do when it's their turn to play at that pace.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
A few things have become abundantly clear to me during this losing skid, and some of these points were true even when we were winning, but I largely ignored since we were winning.

1. Milano isn't an NHL player, and probably won't be under a Torts coached team. He's had some sparks here and there this season, but by and large he's been a healthy scratch or ineffective. He doesn't get the proper ice time for someone of his skill set, but in the odd circumstances he does, he doesn't produce. He's never going to be a checker, so playing him in a bottom 6 checking role won't work. I think they've tried to use him and Bemstrom (more on him later) in a kind of Gagner esc role where they could shelter him if the moment called for defense, but they could always send him over the boards on the PP because of his skill. However, unlike Gagner, Milano hasn't been able to keep things going positively. He hasn't been good at all since his injury, and his ice time suggests the coaches don't and won't trust him. If you consistently play less than probable AHL lifer in Gerbe (no offense to him, but ideally Milano should never play less than him), and get jumped on the depth chart from a kid from juniors, it doesn't spell well for your outlook on the team or in the league.

2. Bemstrom should have been sent back to Sweden. Obviously now with all these injuries, having Bemstrom is better than say having Macinnis, but by and large Bemstrom has been a complete flop. Yes, he got injured, and yes he isn't trusted by the coaches. But like Milano I think they wanted Bemstrom to be in a utility role like what Gagner was. Use him when you're down and need a goal, on a powerplay, or if other players aren't getting the job done. He's had some sparks, and I'm not going to give up on him yet (unlike Milano), but I think they were expecting young Bjorkstrand like goal numbers (around 10-15 goals) and ample amounts of PP time using his one timer. We've seen the one timer succeed one time, and that was in Vegas. For whatever reason, we never get it to players on the one timer in position to shoot. Panarin never did it here, or rarely did, and he does it all the time in New York now and Chicago before. Anyway, maybe the year of learning will be good to Bemstrom as he probably would have just dominated in Sweden again, but it is a bit frustrating when the coach preaches teaching and learning, yet the player who probably needs it most can't be trusted with any ice time. And to be fair to Torts, he hasn't really earned it either.
Your comments on Milano are pretty much what a lot of us internet experts have said for two or three years now. I though this was going to be his year to make believers out of all of us, but goodness has he been disappointing. As far as Bemstrom, I wasn't expecting the kid to be Ovechkin, but I was hoping to see a little more than we've seen. Like you, I'm not ready to give up on him, after all the kid is only 19. But I haven't seen the ability to occasionally get open or make his own shots like we saw Eichel do the other night in Buffalo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
There's really not much Jarmo can do right now short of trading some key players to get some offensive talent back. Our three goalies may turn out to be goldmines, but their history is so short, I'm not sure they would bring much in return yet. With Jones, Kukan, and the skating MASH unit Murray all on IR, our depth on D has vanished. Murray is like that 15 year old car that doesn't have much trade-in value, but we know who he is when he's running so we might as well keep him. Of the three youngsters, Foudy has shown the most promise with his speed and hips that can swivel to get open.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The one moment in that game that stands out for me isn't the four-minute power play that looked like we were skating in gravel. It's the Boone Jenner breakaway shorthanded right before New York scored. It's one thing to not be generating offense. But we have to, have to, HAVE TO start converting opportunities like those when we're presented with them. When you don't score a lot of goals, you can't let opportunities like that go to waste.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Milano is the same guy that has been in Cleveland. He plays the game the way he wants to, and is not a team player. When Madden was coach here, and Milano was here, Madden made a comment about how most of the team is buying in to the system, but there are some that refuse to. Everyone here knew he was referring to Sonny. If you just watch him enough, you can see it. He plays his own game. There were a couple passes last night where he just got the puck and threw it to an area where players should be without looking to see if anyone was there, and basically just gave the puck to New York. I have been done with him for a couple years. He can make that highlight play, but not much else. I have never seen an NHL player that falls down as much as him. If he was a third or fourth round pick, it would be more tolerable, but where he is now, being a first round pick is ridiculous. Maybe getting shipped out of here may turn the light bulb on that he has to be more of a team guy, but that remains to be seen. Robinson is playing just like he did in Cleveland. I would be surprised that they extended him, but this is the same team that brought Sedlak up and never sent him back down, even though he should have been. Bjorksrand bounced up and down, but Sedlak never did. As far as the power play goes, who knows what the problem is. Its like they never even practice it. Its just as bad in Cleveland. I have never seen a team get as many 5 on 3 power plays, and have almost the full two minutes, and not score. They did it the other day, and earlier this season they had a full two minute 5 on 3 and didn't score. There have been a couple other times also. It is a total mess on both levels. Its not all coaching though, because they can't even score one by accident. The coaching and players have to be better on the PP.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Really think some of you need to take a step back and really understand that the fact that this team is not losing games big, is a huge deal considering who we have out of the lineup. The fact that they are taking every one of these games down to the final minutes is fantastic and really shows how far this team has come. Compare this roster right now, the one we are icing after injuries, to our bad years over the franchise history and frankly this roster may be one of the worst. The fact that they are competing in my mind shows just how far this franchise has come. Players are going to start coming back real quick. 29 points in 23 games to make the playoffs, keep that in perspective. This team can do that..

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The perceptions and opinions of players and the team on this site are up and down like a toilet seat...

I also have an issue with people minimizing and/or downplaying the loss of Jones.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You're just making stuff up with this quote. Nobody on this board or the entire board for that matter doesn't think losing Jones isn't a big deal. The issue is scoring. The team hasn't imploded defensively even with Jones injury.

Acting like he has zero impact on the offense or "scoring" isn't minimizing or downplaying Jones?

There were a few comments made regarding losing Jones not being the thing that ends the teams playoff hopes. So, "nobody", is not accurate.

ALSO, You can think losing Jones "is a big deal" AND minimize and downplay his loss AT THE SAME TIME.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Acting like he has zero impact on the offense or "scoring" isn't minimizing or downplaying Jones?

There were a few comments made regarding losing Jones not being the thing that ends the teams playoff hopes. So, "nobody", is not accurate.

ALSO, You can think losing Jones "is a big deal" AND minimize and downplay his loss AT THE SAME TIME.

You are doubling down on something that is non existent and you're twisting my and others comments to fit your incorrect agenda. Post a quote where someone, ANYONE, is downplaying or minimizing Jones effect on this team (defensively or offensively) and I will support you. Otherwise its just plain hogwash.

The comments made that Jones isn't the reason for not making the playoffs are not downplaying him or his effect on the team. Its stating the obvious without having to spell it out.......goal scoring is the biggest issue of this team.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad