GDT: Game 59 - CBJ vs NYR - 14 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
No doubt, offensively. He didn't get called up for offense, he got the call for his 4th line defense. They know what they get from him. Not so much TFW or Thurkauf. He needs to do his job on the 4th line, and the guys that are supposed to score need to step up. If they are good enough players that's what they will do. PLD earned his benching yesterday, and he needs to step it up another notch. Its unfortunate with the injuries, but the guys that are playing have to play better.

This doesn't make sense for two reasons:

1) Wasn't it just 5 days ago Torts said they wanted offensive skill in a forward call up? That's why they picked Foudy, right? Don't TFW and Thurkauf have better skill than Lilja?
2) Lilja has played 27 games in the NHL. In that time, while he's been on the ice, the team has given up the most shot attempts per minute, the 2nd-most unblocked shot attempts per minute, and the most shots on goal per minute - all at 5v5. So there's literally no evidence to suggest he's even good at "4th line defense." Just the opposite, in fact. He's bad both offensively and defensively. Basically the worst on the team in both aspects.

After 27 games, the risk/reward of a TFW or Thurkauf is more worthwhile than playing a guy who has been terrible when with the big club.

Just more questionable roster management from this front office.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ranger coach has declared Shestorkin is their #1 goalie. Since we often get the back ups, I won’t be surprised if it’s the King or Georgiev.

Georgiev started last night, so I assume its probably going to be Sheshtorkin

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I was invited by a friend who got free tickets. I’m making sure I get bacon on a stick today so that I can leave Nationwide with at least a small victory if the team continues to fail to get it done

Reactions: rotsbu

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Probably another tight game, possibly going to OT.

Btw, Gavrikov was out playing in OT last night, I wonder if he even gets some PP2 time.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
This doesn't make sense for two reasons:

1) Wasn't it just 5 days ago Torts said they wanted offensive skill in a forward call up? That's why they picked Foudy, right? Don't TFW and Thurkauf have better skill than Lilja?
2) Lilja has played 27 games in the NHL. In that time, while he's been on the ice, the team has given up the most shot attempts per minute, the 2nd-most unblocked shot attempts per minute, and the most shots on goal per minute - all at 5v5. So there's literally no evidence to suggest he's even good at "4th line defense." Just the opposite, in fact. He's bad both offensively and defensively. Basically the worst on the team in both aspects.

After 27 games, the risk/reward of a TFW or Thurkauf is more worthwhile than playing a guy who has been terrible when with the big club.

Just more questionable roster management from this front office.
How much of those numbers are directly on him. In those 27 games he does have 21 blocked shots. Riley Nash, who is usually on a line with him has just 10 more blocked shots in 26 more games. His GF/60 is 2.2 which is 15th on the team, and his GA/60 is 1.2 which is 25th on the team. Milano, who only averages 2 more minutes of ice time per game, has a 2.8 GA/60. Yeah, you don't want to give up a lot of shot attempts, but when he is on the ice, the team scores more goals than they give up. All those numbers you cite you are basically blaming him for, when there are four other guys on the ice. How many of these shot attempts came from the player that was his responsibility? How many of those shot attempts were blocked or altered by his positioning, and missed the net? How many of the shots on goal were from the guy he was on, and how many of those were high quality shots? Looking at those advanced numbers I don't see any of that. Obviously the coaches know something about it, because if he were as bad as you are saying, they would call up somebody else. As far as TFW and Thurkauf go, at the AHL level, Lilja is just as skilled offensively. Defensively, right now, I would go Thurkauf, Lilja, then TFW. Bringing up these guys is a crap shoot though, none of the guys from Cleveland has lit up the NHL this year. They have been decent, but nothing great.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not feeling too great on this one. Don’t want #10 on their team to light us up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad