GDT: Game #59 - 02.27.14 - vs Carolina - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I must be alone in thinking that Roussel's play wasn't as malicious as people make it out to be.

Penalty? Yes. Dirty? I dunno. He was skating hard and got tied up. Not much you can do.

I agree, though I don't think he was particularly tied up... He knew the play he was going to make, but I think the end result was worse than usual. Penalty worthy for sure, the main board just has a thing for hating on Roussel, he's obviously the dirtiest player in the league.

cmwang

Nov 4, 2011
I really, really loved Nichushkin's game tonight! Especially on the powerplay, was the playmaker on it and had some awesome passes. Looks like he is way ahead on his way to having "his own" line. 10th overall hypersteal <3

He made a couple of great plays backchecking too.

As good as he is now its just crazy to think how much his game will improve with a couple full years of experience. At which time he will still only be 20 or 21 years old.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
He made a couple of great plays backchecking too.

As good as he is now its just crazy to think how much his game will improve with a couple full years of experience. At which time he will still only be 20 or 21 years old.

Yep, it's been said all season. I couldn't ask for more out of him after the first 50+ games of his NHL career. He's just going to be scary good in a couple here. Definitely never had a draft pick like him since the move to Texas. Jamie is probably the closest Dallas (not North Stars) has ever picked but I fully believe he'll have a better career at the end of it all.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think Roussel is charging hard, makes contact with the Carolina guy then realizes he's in too deep and can't avoid their goalie. I think he just got a little lost on the play as far as where he knew he was on the ice and by the time he figures it out, trying to tap the brakes is all but impossible. I'm glad Khudobin is okay and Roussel probably deserved a major but I'm not sure that's suspendable. I don't think he intentionally ran the guy, just a confluence of events meant he whacked him and there wasn't anything anyone was going to do to stop it.

That pass by Val was nasty.

Whitney really, really needs to be traded. I'd love to see Sceviour with this group.

Khudobin prevented this from being a blowout. All props to him because he was fantastic.

Jamie Benn is a beast and that drag and shot by Dillon was very pretty.

Chiasson can't buy a goal. It's almost become comical, if it wasn't so sad.

Oh God yes, I can't not comment on that abomination Ruff wore. Burn it. I'm honestly not sure who made the worst decision, the designer who made it and thought it was good so he put his label on it and sold it or Ruff who paid actual money for the damn thing. Fugly might be too kind a description for it.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Ruff hurts my eyes/brain today.

I just keep thinking of this:

SuitOpticalIllusion.gif

Lucy963

Jan 5, 2009
Seguin back on the scoresheet is a major plus. If I remember right he was in a bit of a funk before the break.

If you call a 7 game point streak (3 goals, 8 assists) a funk then yes it was good to get him back on the scoresheet..

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Finally watching the replay of the Rou hit. Still looks like he went out of his way to raise his gloves to pop the goalie in the face, imo. I can see now where people might think he was pushed, which I didn't see at all in live action. Still think it was a stupid play and could've been avoided...at least the severity of it.

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
Finally watching the replay of the Rou hit. Still looks like he went out of his way to raise his gloves to pop the goalie in the face, imo. I can see now where people might think he was pushed, which I didn't see at all in live action. Still think it was a stupid play and could've been avoided...at least the severity of it.

The glove raise seems like a natural reaction to brace yourself for a collision. Who doesn't raise their arms to brace for contact?

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

It was not so much of push as it was a bump, but the result of that is that Roussel's right skate got lifted off the ice and turning with only one skate on the ice is a heck of a challenge.

Take a peek at the skates on the Phantom Cam, time=1:04

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX

As I watched the replay it looked to me like his plan was to go in and cut across the face of the crease. Khudobin's stick kind of hampered that and Rous put his hands up to brace. He shouldn't have put himself in that position to begin with.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
As I watched the replay it looked to me like his plan was to go in and cut across the face of the crease. Khudobin's stick kind of hampered that and Rous put his hands up to brace. He shouldn't have put himself in that position to begin with.

That's the most important point. Just like tripping a guy ... intended or unattended you're responsible for your stick. You're equally responsible for where you are on the ice. Trading some paint with a defender doesn't give you freedom go goalie bowling. That for sure was the correct call that he wasn't forced or thrown into the goalie.

We don't have to defend this as an innocent play because we're Stars fans. It's OK to acknowledge a mistake was made, and I'm glad most have. Doesn't make him dirty or anything unless he truly intended on running the goalie ... we'll never know. It does make him an idiot for not being aware of his surroundings and more importantly the current situation in the game ... just allowed a goal in a 3 goal game with plenty of time for the opposition to come back.

I'm glad the goalie is fine, but ... why I'm annoyed ... is Roussel's actions were potentially detrimental to the Stars chances of winning. The fact he got away with it and Dallas won doesn't make it OK. I don't hate Roussel for that. When he's crossed the line in the past and put Dallas in a bad position, he's always responded well to correcting that behavior. This will hopefully be just another positive learning experience and something he'll not do again in the future.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Exactly. What's going to happen if the Stars continue to win and find themselves in games that actually matter? We talk about wanting to see how our young leaders will respond. How about how our depth players are going to respond? Are players like Roussel mature enough to play under control and not turn the game into a sideshow? What if he takes an undisciplined major against a team like Anaheim or Chicago in the first round? That could be game over.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Exactly. What's going to happen if the Stars continue to win and find themselves in games that actually matter? We talk about wanting to see how our young leaders will respond. How about how our depth players are going to respond? Are players like Roussel mature enough to play under control and not turn the game into a sideshow? What if he takes an undisciplined major against a team like Anaheim or Chicago in the first round? That could be game over.

I hope he has the self-control to not get into that situation. Roussel is a great player and a great agitator, Ruff should try to do everything to help him to walk the balance between being an great agitator and an liability (Ott became the later). The difference between Ott and Roussel is that Ott didn't have Ruff, who is a great communicator. Roussel seems to be aware that he can't go too far, thanks to Ruff and the Texas coaching staff. Roussel on top of that seems like a smart guy, Ott never seemed too me being all that bright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad