Post-Game Talk: GAME 58 - No puck luck in OT but 3 points in Alberta isn't bad - Flames 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Well Bruins have the same chance to win as does the other team, if you do not execute then blame it on yourselves. 3 on 3 is currently part of the game for all teams so try to figure it out and be more consistent.
I agree but my reply was to a poster that said the quality of our 3 on 3 play was the least of our concerns . If the team is blowing pts by crappy 3 on 3 play its a concern.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I agree but my reply was to a poster that said the quality of our 3 on 3 play was the least of our concerns . If the team is blowing pts by crappy 3 on 3 play its a concern.
It’s part of the game unfortunately,and it might not be the difference maker this season whether they make the playoffs,but still is some
Considering how much they have struggled to win at home this season I'm not sure I want them to win home ice advantage. :skeptic:
Not to mention home ice advantage really hasn’t been there friends in the playoffs for awhile now.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
They play it right this off season they could have Hannafin, Lindholm and Lohrei on the left next season. I know people say deadline, I just can’t see it happening with hardly any assets and no cap space and most likely they’ll want Lohrei.

Really next off season with nearly 20mil in space is where they really can do some major tweaking. Right now I think the players proved they are great regular season players, my total focus is on how they play in the playoffs. I’d base a lot of decisions for off season based on their performance there.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Sure it hurts some. they are 8-12 in OT I believe. If they were say 13-7 that would be more consistent with their overall record

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Lohrei had a real rough start to the game. Was amazing after. Boston has to be his home now. No more riding the bus in the A.

Heinen was frustrating. Great plays. Smart steals. Sneaky disruptive. Then when he gets the puck on his stick it's like he tries to flip it up his own asshole.

Coyle was clearly the best player (either side). Animal. Could have had five goals.

JVR? Okay you can play on the powerplay. You seem to have success there. But he is ATROCIOUS five on five.

Main takeaway? These Bruins have zilch for point shot. And it's killing them. Brandon Carlo had the best shot from the back end all game. Ugly. Zero threat at all and it makes defending them far easier than it should be.

Also... As constructed? Going nowhere. But I don't think they're far off, honestly. I understand the circumstances that they were under tonight and all being said, they weren't bad.
I'm with you! When I mentioned what you just said
"These Bruins have zilch for point shot. And it's killing them. Brandon Carlo had the best shot from the back end all game. Ugly. Zero threat at all and it makes defending them far easier than it should be." I was told by the seemingly more intelligent folks that myself that having a defenseman who can get a shot thru/QB a Power Play etc is the old way of doing things that the league and its players have evolved and it isn't necessary anymore to have D-men who can shoot or fire a slapshot, especially since slapshots take Oooh so long to take.
IMO it's yet another missing element to this team that can survive and thrive on the "loser points" during the regular season but in the playoffs all of these pieces/attributes that they struggle with shine brightly.
I'm hoping that after 9 years at the helm, DS can see that without them it's one or two rounds then out.
I suspect it'll be that way this year too.
I really hope that I'm wrong but the expression "you can hope in one hand and poop the other and see which one gets filled first."
I guess it seems that Sweeney feels that way too?!?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm with you! When I mentioned what you just said
"These Bruins have zilch for point shot. And it's killing them. Brandon Carlo had the best shot from the back end all game. Ugly. Zero threat at all and it makes defending them far easier than it should be." I was told by the seemingly more intelligent folks that myself that having a defenseman who can get a shot thru/QB a Power Play etc is the old way of doing things that the league and its players have evolved and it isn't necessary anymore to have D-men who can shoot or fire a slapshot, especially since slapshots take Oooh so long to take.
IMO it's yet another missing element to this team that can survive and thrive on the "loser points" during the regular season but in the playoffs all of these pieces/attributes that they struggle with shine brightly.
I'm hoping that after 9 years at the helm, DS can see that without them it's one or two rounds then out.
I suspect it'll be that way this year too.
I really hope that I'm wrong but the expression "you can hope in one hand and poop the other and see which one gets filled first."
I guess it seems that Sweeney feels that way too?!?
With you 100%.

Has this tool been scaled back in the last few years? You bet. It's no longer the primary strategy used upon "setting up" in the offensive zone.

Is it still useful? Absolutely. It can stretch out the collapsing defense and open passing lanes. It can create havoc in front of a busy net-front. And if the defending team knows where the shot is going to come from, it makes it much easier for them to cheat, ignoring the players high in the zone.

You don't need an Al MacInnis. But you need something a little better than a Brandon Carlo.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
With you 100%.

Has this tool been scaled back in the last few years? You bet. It's no longer the primary strategy used upon "setting up" in the offensive zone.

Is it still useful? Absolutely. It can stretch out the collapsing defense and open passing lanes. It can create havoc in front of a busy net-front. And if the defending team knows where the shot is going to come from, it makes it much easier for them to cheat, ignoring the players high in the zone.

You don't need an Al MacInnis. But you need something a little better than a Brandon Carlo.
I find it annoying when the puck comes back to the point or whatever new name they have for it now and the Bruin on there is so obvious with his intentions. He's skittering around trying to find an open lane to guess who? Pasta, always (or most of the time) Pasta. Bruins PP is Pasta-centric.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I find it annoying when the puck comes back to the point or whatever new name they have for it now and the Bruin on there is so obvious with his intentions. He's skittering around trying to find an open lane to guess who? Pasta, always (or most of the time) Pasta. Bruins PP is Pasta-centric.
Yep. Predictable. Makes you wonder how we would do if you ran the 3rd line out there. All the way back to LY, I cannot understand why the PP struggles so much? Look at other teams and they love it quick but have more than one threat (vs the Pasta one timer which when it works is great)

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Idk why people are complaining about the extra OT points.

What do you want them to go by just regulation? If that were the case they’d be in 4th in the conference in regulation wins.

Be happy we have OT points.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Considering how much they have struggled to win at home this season I'm not sure I want them to win home ice advantage. :skeptic:
Regardless of prior results ,I'd still rather have home ice advantage in the playoffs . It gives you the advantage of line matching which is very important in the playoffs.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad