GDT: GAME 58 | Coyotes @ Senators | Ugh, Whatever! Edition | Fri Mar 1st 7PM, 2024 | TSN5, RDS

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They were giving us inconsistent hockey.

They've always done that.

They've given us great hockey for 10 games. They've also given us shit hockey for 10 games.

That's why it was so strange seeing fans get so excited for this recent good 10 games.

We all knew they were about to be shit for 10 games. That's what inconsistent teams do.
Shit hockey. I think you’re forgetting how shit this team can ACTUALLY play. Last night was not shit. Washington was not shit. The third period in Nashville was shit.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
To be fair, this was a big criticism of Jacques Martin led teams, he didn't want guys seeking revenge, the refs would take care of it by penalizing them and we'd settle it on the score board.

MacEwen didn't even get a shift after the mid point of the 2nd, Kastelic only had one in the third. They can't take care of O'Brien if they never see the ice, I guess Kastelic could have jumped Cooley or Guenther in his one 3rd period shift since those were the options on the ice with him.
Zero response from the Sens and Tkachuk was then injured later on by O'Brien. Super.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
In the beginning..
That first goal by Yotes, where Chabbie got the assist, facing Forsberg, he passes the rebound back between his own legs to wide open Yote who sez "thx" and pops the puck into wide open net. Play of the game. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In the beginning..
That first goal by Yotes, where Chabbie got the assist, facing Forsberg, he passes the rebound back between his own legs to wide open Yote who sez "thx" and pops the puck into wide open net. Play of the game. 🤪
Yeah it was terrible. And why is forsberg dropping that puck into the slot in the first place. They sent a soft wrister into his crest.

Mighty mighty New Jersey lost to Anaheim last night. Their season in serious jeopardy. Remember some wanted to “be New Jersey” this year lol.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In the beginning..
Between the legs drop pass for the primary assist. What's not to like?

I seem to remember Jacques rolling 4 lines back in the day and Neil getting into a bunch of fights.

I do agree he didn't love the rough stuff, but it still happened under him back in the day.
I seem to remember Jacques being a pacifist type coach and us losing to a much more physical Leafs team 4 times

• Love
Reactions: chipsens

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zero response from the Sens and Tkachuk was then injured later on by O'Brien. Super.
The guys you singled out to respond were literally not given any shifts. What do you want them to do, jump the boards and get a ten game suspension? That's why you think they are useless turds?

The refs let the game get out of hand, maybe Jacques should have recognized that and sent out the 4th line to police the game instead of trying to complete the comeback, I wouldn't mind that given the state of the season, but players can't police the game when they aren't given shifts.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Shit hockey. I think you’re forgetting how shit this team can ACTUALLY play. Last night was not shit. Washington was not shit. The third period in Nashville was shit.
How am I forgetting when 4 periods ago, they got 0 shots in a period.

They've been up and down for years. Every year seems to bring new shitty lows and some random good highs.

We've been yo-yoing for years.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So...are we buyers or sellers?! 😉

Imo we are buying a veteran, #91 as a good veteran role model

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Between the legs drop pass for the primary assist. What's not to like?

I seem to remember Jacques being a pacifist type coach and us losing to a much more physical Leafs team 4 times

Yes, both are true.

He was a pacifist who didn't like fights, AND he played fighters who got in a lot of fights.

Why didn't the fighters go out and fight like the fighters used to fight under Jacques?

Pull a Neil. Pull a hnidy. Go out and fight.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So...are we buyers or sellers?! 😉

I'm almost afraid to see what Staios will do....if he does anything. The honeymoon stage sure didn't last long this year.

We desperately need a top 4, stay at home RD...like about 25 other teams in the league. Not sure how we can make it happen.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How am I forgetting when 4 periods ago, they got 0 shots in a period.

They've been up and down for years. Every year seems to bring new shitty lows and some random good highs.

We've been yo-yoing for years.
Well we have had a real coach for years. And we’ve exclusively had terrible goalies for years.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I totally skipped this game, but is sounds like JM wasn't happy with the reffing, thought the calls were one-sided.

JM's structure has given this team the ability to fight back after bad goals against, but I have found that they seem to fall apart after questionable calls.

Like the really puzzling boarding call against Batherson on Monday night against the Capitals.

I mean they struggle beyond the obvious man disadvantage.

It's tough to foster an us-against-the-world mentatlity when you're bouncing along the bottom of the standings, but it's an attitude they need to foster. Giroux has a bit of it. Brady could, just needs to channel his frustration a bit better.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
One of their next 3 1st round picks of their choice. They certainly won’t be letting this years pick go.

Bettman threw the Sens a bone because they had a new owner who literally took over the team a month and a half prior, and the only remaining guy in Management tht was here for it was Dorion, who was swiftly fired.
Good to hear thanks for the info,hopefully the Sens can hit a Homerun with their top selection!Have you heard talk that Staios wants a first rounder for Chychrun who wants out?I think the Kings would offer prospects but not a first since the Owner will have GMBlake's head for it

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
That was one of the main problems under DJ, as well. The team just doesn't seem ready at puck drop, and doesn't play a 60-minute game. It's frustrating as hell.
Is the problem DJ?

The problem is we all subscribe to this one factor analysis. First, it was DJ, and now it is the goaltending. It is obviously the construction of the team. We are probably the worst team in the league at boxing out and clearing the front of the net. We make a ton of unforced errors. We have a penchant, even when playing well, for careless turnovers and chaotic breakdowns that demoralize and frustrate goalies. Every game the team gives up goals totally based on inattention to detail or laziness. Branny will literally stand beside a player in front of the net, providing a double screen, with no attempted effort to move that player or get out of the way. We always say goalie should of had that! Meanwhile our defense is highly gifted at getting in the way rather than battling and clearing lanes.

This team is a goalie graveyard. Talbot is like a top 20 goalie in goals saved above expected this year. He struggled mid-season, because of age and being overplayed, but he is back on track, providing LA is quality goaltending again. I thought he was through last year. I was happy to get rid of him.

Korpri was one of the best goalies in the league last year, with a 12.7goals saved above expected last year and a save percentage above excepted too. I don't know what Korpi is....but I do know this team is a disaster in front of him. Would it surprise you if he had success elsewhere if he indeed was bought out?

Also, the talk about Brady not being in the core is absurd. He is the core(to paraphrase Walter White). Stutzle has fallen apart since Jacques has implemented a more structured "system." He looks absolutely terrible on most nights. Sure, he will put up points and get some secondary assists, but I think we are in the process of having Pinto take the 1 stop. Pinto is more impactful player shift to shift. Stutlze is Spezza. Pinto is Bergeron. You win with Bergeron.

• Love
Reactions: LiseL and Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Now its the refs fault they are second last in the conference lol
They dont yo yo they are consistently in the bottoms of league

Top 3 in the league for excuses though

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Brady Tkachuk is not part of a winning core, period.

I do not understand the love for the guy. He smothered a moment for Stutzle to stand up for himself, he floats quite a lot. He occasionally throws a hit in the corner for a puck battle and people think he's the best power forward they've ever seen. It's absurd.

He's one of those contracts Dorion gambled with and that saddles us right there with Korpisalo, Norris, Chabot. You can win with a few of these contracts but when the majority of Dorion's gambles have fallen short of expectations and the goaltending is horrific... you outshoot Arizona, it's a competitive game, your goalie can't steal you a win against a desperate team unlike the Leafs and Woll or any other team and their goalie.

There's levels to the contracts as well.

Korpisalo is by far the worst. Another Dorion gamble "oh he had one good season now he's going to break out to be a superstar".
Norris is probably next, he can't stay healthy and it looks like he wont' ever hit 35 goals again.
Chabot's next, he hasn't really grown as a player. Same guy making the same mistakes years later. With Sanderson it just makes everything look worse.
Tkachuk is last, I don't have a major problem with the contract but he's not a core player you have to keep if you need a reset.

With average to above average goaltending this could be covered up. But we've had bad goaltending all season long leading to the DJ firing, Jacques Martin who doesn't really want to coach getting behind the bench and our current struggles. You can't expect players to be at their peak 82 games a season with no memories that their goaltender tandem is by far the worst in the league.

And for all those who want to use this moment to defend DJ Smith. The night after he was fired, which team did we play and what did that game look like? Compare it to now where you think the team gave a poor effort. What did this poor effort look like relative to December 19th the day after DJ Smith was fired?

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Brady Tkachuk is not part of a winning core, period.

I do not understand the love for the guy. He smothered a moment for Stutzle to stand up for himself, he floats quite a lot. He occasionally throws a hit in the corner for a puck battle and people think he's the best power forward they've ever seen. It's absurd.

He's one of those contracts Dorion gambled with and that saddles us right there with Korpisalo, Norris, Chabot. You can win with a few of these contracts but when the majority of Dorion's gambles have fallen short of expectations and the goaltending is horrific... you outshoot Arizona, it's a competitive game, your goalie can't steal you a win against a desperate team unlike the Leafs and Woll or any other team and their goalie.

There's levels to the contracts as well.

Korpisalo is by far the worst. Another Dorion gamble "oh he had one good season now he's going to break out to be a superstar".
Norris is probably next, he can't stay healthy and it looks like he wont' ever hit 35 goals again.
Chabot's next, he hasn't really grown as a player. Same guy making the same mistakes years later. With Sanderson it just makes everything look worse.
Tkachuk is last, I don't have a major problem with the contract but he's not a core player you have to keep if you need a reset.

With average to above average goaltending this could be covered up. But we've had bad goaltending all season long leading to the DJ firing and our current struggles. You can't expect players to be at their peak 82 games a season with no memories that their goaltender tandem is by far the worst in the league.

I am not a fan of your take.

This core is good. They are beaten by mental weakness... but is it really weakness. How long would you last with shitty goaltending.

Sens have lost a lot of games due to getting outplayed by better goalies. It's a fact. This goaltending duo couldn't save a puck if their life depended on it.

There are pieces that need to be changed out... but Brady is not one of them. (unless you send me $300 to cover the cost of another jersey).

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I am not a fan of your take.

This core is good. They are beaten by mental weakness... but is it really weakness. How long would you last with shitty goaltending.

Sens have lost a lot of games due to getting outplayed by better goalies. It's a fact.

There are pieces that need to be changed out... but Brady is not one of them. (unless you send me $300 to cover the cost of another jersey).

I don't think we need to trade him. I'm saying if a decision is made for dramatic change he's not on my untouchable list. We've seen his best season. It's a PPG where he gets fed opportunities on the PP and has Ovechkin numbers of shots with half the goals Ovechkin put up.

He's a guy who needs talent around him to succeed. If you ever want to see 40+ goals out of him it's going to be a Zach Hyman situation where we get McDavid or Crosby centering for him.

Reactions: DrEasy

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Life goes on and lot more busy these days, took me 20+ years to be this disinterested about my favorite team

Some nights I feel like not even tuning in.

Ill think hard and long before driving 4 hours to see them again.

Very disappointed, 7 years. My girlfriend didn’t understand why I sat still in front of the TV for one hour after the Kunitz goal, I told her « took me 10 years to live another nice run, don’t know when Ill see that again. » man, I was spot on sadly

Reactions: Emrasie

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brady is a good player and definitely can be part of a winning core. But not the guy you "build around".

Like the only reason that is even a thing is because of his last name, not actually because of his leadership or quality as a player, it's the marketing.

Anyway the sooner this team goes away from being "Brady's (and Chabot's) team" to the Senators the better the winning identity will be.

And that happens when Sanderson/Stutzle/Pinto/Greig supplant the "leadership" core of Brady/Chabot/Batherson do we start seeing the shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad